Best $1000-$1200 rifle

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yes to both.

Here's a rifle that came in a full size factory stock, wearing a compact stock with the barrel cut at 16.5 and wearing a thread adapter + can. Throw it in a chassis as some folks have suggested and the weight is effectively the same as an s20.
View attachment 590084
Is that a hyperion K? if so, how do you like it? I'm trying to put a rifle together for my wife and was thinking of getting a hyperion K to dedicate to that rifle.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider

BjornF16

WKR
I went ahead and got the tikka roughtech. I actually took a left turn and decided I’d rather have a 243 since I’m sending the 6.5 back to CA and possibly getting a shooter back. A 243 can double as my daytime coyote rifle anyways. I whitetail a shotgun/ML only state so rifles don’t have a ton of use around here.
1:8 or 1:10 twist?

I probably wouldn't touch anything with a carbon barrel that's priced that low. The Savage Ultralights are pretty unimpressive and sloppy.

I'd say tikka if you want to tinker with it later on. I wouldn't look past Browning X-bolts in that price range either. Mags have plenty of space if you handload.
I agree. I have two Browning X bolts and they're both darn good off the shelf shooters. I bought a mcarbo spring for the triggers and made them even better.

Bluumoon

WKR
I’m on the market rather quickly for a new rifle to take on an antelope hunt (fighting a CA that won’t shoot). I’m pretty well settled on a 6.5 as it would be my mule deer rifle as well.

So - here is what I’m narrowed down to (favoring the tikka currently).

Tikka roughtech ember
Savage 110 ultralight
Bergara b14 wilderness with carbon fiber barrel

I want light(ish) gun but not at the expensive of shooting quality. It will more than likely wear a suppressor as I have a ddf enticer in jail. So I am a bit hesitant on the tikka for it’s longer barrel.

What would be your pick of these 3? Are there any others I should consider at this price point?
Your friends w @abbrown? Heard a story this week about a CA issue.

Standard Tikka Lite in Stainless if you are eventually going to supress it, you'd want to chop the roughtech down anyway, add a vertical grip, Unknown munitions or Sportsmatch TO84 rings, a cheek riser, maybe get fancy w a $10 tigger spring (can make the trigger too light) and couple hundred rounds of the same lot of ammo.

The tikkas are stupid smooth and reliable. if you get bored with the factory stock the KRG bravo is literally bolt in. I think my 6.5 with the SWFA 5-20 (34oz) in a Bravo is 10.5 lbs.

If you don't mind the weight for this trip the Sakos are prob cheaper for same outcome if you were going to thrown in a Bravo anyway.

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious, how many rounds have you fired through the CA Mesa? Mine was pretty picky during the break in period, and really seems to tighten up after 40-50 rounds. I’ve got maybe 300 rounds through my Mesa in 6.5 CM, and I have multiple hand load recipes below .5 moa with 3 round groups.

Why all the bergara hate? I have the b14 hmr in 6.5 prc. It is a bit heavy but it has been a fantastic shooter. I haven't shot their carbon fiber barrels.

Arthas

FNG
Tikka t3x lite is awesome minus the stocks.

My experience with Bergara was that mine didn't like hornady or nosler bullets. Sent it back per customer service. They shot it with Sierra match grade bullets and said it worked great. For that price plenty of rifles I have shot and own that do not require me to only shoot Sierra match bullets. Sorry Begara but you will have to step up your game in today's market. There is too much compeition out there.

Tikka t3x lite is awesome minus the stocks.

My experience with Bergara was that mine didn't like hornady or nosler bullets. Sent it back per customer service. They shot it with Sierra match grade bullets and said it worked great. For that price plenty of rifles I have shot and own that do not require me to only shoot Sierra match bullets. Sorry Begara but you will have to step up your game in today's market. There is too much compeition out there.
All my bergaras get Hornady bullets. Tikkas too. Had more issue with the tikka getting it to shoot but got past that. But the tikka stock won’t hold a candle to any of the bergara stocks.

Choupique

WKR
Tikka T3 is always the answer.

I'm a model 70 fan. Not sure if they are up over $1000 for a basic sporter or not nowadays.

I went ahead and got the tikka roughtech. I actually took a left turn and decided I’d rather have a 243 since I’m sending the 6.5 back to CA and possibly getting a shooter back. A 243 can double as my daytime coyote rifle anyways. I whitetail a shotgun/ML only state so rifles don’t have a ton of use around here.
Don’t think you’ll be disappointed with that decision, and even if your CA saga continues, the tikka will fill any niche anyways.

That would have been my suggestion, I’ve never liked the bergara, have had several tikkas, and have a savage UL, and though the savage is a good shooting rifle, it’s not a tikka, and I wish it was… still think it’s a lot of rifle for the money, but a carbon barrel doesn’t change the performance of the rifle in any meaningful way.

The UL is now in a magnesium xlr and is my wife’s, but I do wish it was a tikka, wouldn’t be much heavier and would shoot just as good, but be a nicer all around rifle

I think the only factory rifle I would even entertain besides a tikka is a seekins at this point, but at the seekins price point, you can do a lot to a tikka

Hnthrdr

WKR
The S20 hunter from sako from Eurooptic.com for $989 is the best value for sure down side is not much after market support for them. Upside is they are damn near perfect as is… nothing to do to them. They come threaded @ 24” which is a tad long for a suppressor if you want to hunt timber, other western hunting is just fine

Hnthrdr

WKR
Saw your decision… super solid choice I have one in .308, love it. My 6.5 cm from CA is a shooter too so hopefully they fix it up for ya