Best $1000-$1200 rifle

atmat

WKR
Or the sako, which is already threaded, has a chassis and ceracoat. Plus integral Pic rail on top.
No doubt they’re great rifles, and I’d happily own one. But the S20 Precision weighs 8.5lbs bare. The S20 Hunter weighs more than my Tikka+rings+20oz scope.

Plus, by going with the modified T3x you can choose your barrel length and thread pitch.

All for roughly same price.

Tikka all day. Savages are trash and so are Bergaras CF barrels, you’ll be right back in the same boat you’re in with your CA because cheap carbon barrels just aren’t good. If it’s not a Proof or a Bartlein don’t bother.

The Tikka is a great rifle though.

I only have experience with the Tikka of the options you listed, but I have been very happy with mine over the years. Reliable, accurate, and light enough to carry.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Dumb question for all you Tikka owners.... is the T3X different from the T3X lite? When people recommend a Tikka, which are they referring to?

Dumb question for all you Tikka owners.... is the T3X different from the T3X lite? When people recommend a Tikka, which are they referring to?

T3X is the updated current action model that came along after the T3 so T3X is generalizing all of the sub models. Lite is just a model/variant of the T3X. It's like saying Remington 700 which is very general and just the action but there's many models of the 700.

JFK

WKR
Sauer 100. There is a 6.5 lightweight model in the classifieds right now for a very good deal. Comes with a threaded barrel and a much better stock than tikka. I have one and they are solid rifles.

My vote would be find a Tikka T3x lite, SS and buy it. Scope it up and complete your hunt. When your suppressor gets closer to getting out of jail, send the barreled action to LRI, Kampfeld, Shooter71, or any of the myriad of gunsmiths now who will chop the barrel to where you want and then thread it for your suppressor, adding a collar for good fit up, without adding an adapter. You should be able to end up at right around $1000 for that set up, all-in.

If you want factory across the board, my recommendation would be a Browning X-Bolt SR (Suppressor Ready). Get an MCARBO trigger spring and you are all set.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
T3X is the updated current action model that came along after the T3 so T3X is generalizing all of the sub models. Lite is just a model/variant of the T3X. It's like saying Remington 700 which is very general and just the action but there's many models of the 700.
Got it, makes sense. Thank you!

WKR
Tikka all day. Savages are trash and so are Bergaras CF barrels, you’ll be right back in the same boat you’re in with your CA because cheap carbon barrels just aren’t good. If it’s not a Proof or a Bartlein don’t bother.

The Tikka is a great rifle though.

What experiences have you had that lead you to say Bergara's CF barrels are trash?

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
I went ahead and got the tikka roughtech. I actually took a left turn and decided I’d rather have a 243 since I’m sending the 6.5 back to CA and possibly getting a shooter back. A 243 can double as my daytime coyote rifle anyways. I whitetail a shotgun/ML only state so rifles don’t have a ton of use around here.

Gonna piggy-back on this and go further. I've seen folks suggest a T3X lite and recommend cut and tread. Can you guys confirm no issues with the OD on the T3X lite with cut and tread as long as the gunsmith puts some sort of collar on?

And is a stock fit interchangeable between the two? Would a Tikka Compact stock fit on either?

Yes to both.

Here's a rifle that came in a full size factory stock, wearing a compact stock with the barrel cut at 16.5 and wearing a thread adapter + can. Throw it in a chassis as some folks have suggested and the weight is effectively the same as an s20.
20230811_165906.jpg