Best .300WSM bullet for elk

I’m sure this has been brought up but never seen a thread just for this cartridge. I am having a new rifle done from HCA based off a tikka action with a carbon stock and carbon barrel. It’s getting all the work done so I know it will be a straight shooter especially with all the positive feedback on here about Mikes work. I was originally going with a 7mm rem but I thought since I allready have a really nice one I’m comfortable with I might as well up it to a heavier caliber dedicated for elk sized game. I picked the .300wsm out of the 3 he is working on (7mm saum, 6.5prc, and 300wsm). Picked the .300 mainly because it is the heaviest out of the 3 and the most readily available stock ammo by far out of the 3. I do not hand load, I repeat I do NOT hand load unfortunately. Maybe I will in the future but not right now.
So for hunting out west, elk, mule deer, and maybe a moose eventually but mostly elk what is the best stock bullet I can get? I’d like to stay above 170grain bullets and ideally under 200. Reason being, is that 200+ might make me uncomfortable with the kick with that light of a rifle (never had an issue with recoil) and I want to remain as accurate as possible. Do not want to go to light because I could have just kept the 700 and used my Hornady 162 grain sst super performance bullets that absolutely crushed deer. I shot an 8 point at 430 yards this past season with them and it dropped him.
What type of bullet am I looking for? Do I want a ballistic tip like those super performance ones have and the federal premium terminal ascent, and Winchester silver tips? I’ve heard nosler mentioned in researching this but idk. Any info from seasoned elk slayers is definitely appreciated folks.
Thanks ahead of time and stay safe
Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TonySkyline
457d1eb274a16e59f43dc598e46d18c4.jpg

23497224910f6b18cfe038ba540f37d2.jpg

This is what I’ve used for whitetail with excellent results for 7mm. I’ve never rifle hunted for elk as I’ve only archery hunted so far. I just don’t want to make a mistake after spending a ton of time, energy, and money . Plus I am putting a vortex razor LHT on the rifle. It will have a custom dial from Kenton industries similar to the leupold cds on my whitetail rifle so I have to pick a bullet and stick with it so the yardage is correct on the elevation turret.

LightFoot

WKR
I like Hornady Precision Hunter 200gr ELD-X. That's what I shoot out of my 300 WSM.

I gave been considering the Terminal Ascent, you mentioned.

A 180gr Nosler Partition is never wrong for big game.

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
TonySkyline
I like Hornady Precision Hunter 200gr ELD-X. That's what I shoot out of my 300 WSM.

I gave been considering the Terminal Ascent, you mentioned.

A 180gr Nosler Partition is never wrong for big game.

>>>----JAKE----->

So you have had good success with the precision hunter bullets? Are those a ballistic tip like super performance ones I’m using for whitetail? What is the difference from those ballistic tip types and say the nosler partitions?
Thanks

OP
TonySkyline
If the more expensive bullets are honestly better and increases my terminal success rate even 5%, I will gladly spend the money. I haven’t cheaped out on anything and other than of course accuracy and practice , I think the bullet is the most important thing.
Although if I can find another cheaper bullet that shoots and weighs the same, I wouldn’t mind getting a lot of those to practice with and then switch over to my actual hunting bullet before I leave for the hunt and making sure I am still on with that.

Marble

WKR
Nosler partition
Accubond
Hornady SST

There are a few others. A bonded bullet is what I prefer. My go to is the accubond. I've killed elk/deer with my 300wm out to 650 and as close as 35. It performs well. There may be a more accurate bullet, but it's popular because it works.

Mosby

WKR
165 grain Speer Grand Slam shoots really well in my WSM. I also like Barnes TSX and Accubond.

I would take would take whatever is most accurate in your rifle.

OP
TonySkyline
So what is an e tip? Should I stay away from any polymer tip like the Hornady super performance has because it will expand to much and not penetrate enough? I was reading up on the nosler partitions and a lot of people recommend them even though they are pretty old as far as bullet technology goes.
My comfortable range right now is 500 yards but once I get this rifle I’m positive I’ll stretch that out to at least 600 or so. Will those polymer tip bullets just flat out fail me at those ranges even though I’ll be pushing all that speed and energy out of a 300wsm?

Wapiti1

WKR
So what is an e tip? Should I stay away from any polymer tip like the Hornady super performance has because it will expand to much and not penetrate enough? I was reading up on the nosler partitions and a lot of people recommend them even though they are pretty old as far as bullet technology goes.
My comfortable range right now is 500 yards but once I get this rifle I’m positive I’ll stretch that out to at least 600 or so. Will those polymer tip bullets just flat out fail me at those ranges even though I’ll be pushing all that speed and energy out of a 300wsm?

E-tip is a Nosler product. That is their all copper mono bullet. Good bullet.

Polymer tips don't necessarily increase expansion, they primarily do two things: prevent tip damage in the magazine (although they can be battered flat), and increase the ballistic coefficient of the bullet by adding a streamlined tip. They do initiate expansion, but the jacket dictates what happens next.

Partitions are the standard by which most bullets are compared. They are an excellent choice for short to medium range hunting, and any animal where you need better penetration than standard cup and core. They are flat base, and don't have the BC of a boattail. There is a reason they are still around.

Explosiveness of a bullet is all about construction. A thin jacket will come apart faster than a thick one, and of course and all copper bullet isn't going to fly apart unless designed to do so. Bonded helps hold them together as well, but the jackets still has to be thick enough.

I'd look at Sierra Gameking, Nosler Accubond or Partition, Swift Scirroco 2, Federal TLR, Barnes LRX and TTSX. Any of these will handle any job you need to do at the ranges you want to shoot.

Jeremy