Best Alaska Moose Outfitter?

No preference on Alaska or the Yukon, but curious the board's take on the best outfitter - assuming no budget? Was looking at Stoney River a few years back but the owners sold the outfit. Thanks in advance.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I think a lot of it depends on what type of hunt/adventure you're looking for. Horseback, basecamp and spike out, ridge top, float ect. If you're just looking to get a great bull I'd look into Gods aviation. If I had the money I'd go there, great success rates on great bulls. If you're looking for a lot of work and adventure then a float hunt would be great or yukon on horseback.

Dan-o

FNG
I can't imagine having a better hunt than my hunt with Renfro's last year. I've only been with one outfitter in Alaska for moose, but it was an incredible one.

Djacker

WKR
I'd also 2nd God's Country Aviation. I hunted with them last year, great outfit. I believe he is booked unit 26 and not taking reservations for 27 yet. Like said above, it really depends on the type of hunt you want. Good luck!

OP
J
Thank y'all. Looking at God's Country Aviation, it reads like a self-guided hunt. Am I understanding that correctly?

I'm looking for a guided hunt - no real preference when talking about horseback, backpack, boat, etc. Just really want to make sure I'm with a top notch outfit.

Dan-o

FNG
I can't imagine having a better hunt than my hunt with Renfro's last year. I've only been with one outfitter in Alaska for moose, but it was an incredible one.
I should point out that my Renfro's hunt was fully guided, and not one of their drop camp hunts.

Djacker

WKR
Thank y'all. Looking at God's Country Aviation, it reads like a self-guided hunt. Am I understanding that correctly?

I'm looking for a guided hunt - no real preference when talking about horseback, backpack, boat, etc. Just really want to make sure I'm with a top notch outfit.
Gods Country is self guided.

jd270win

FNG
Money no object? Grizzly Skins of Alaska (Phil Shoemaker) or Blue Mountain Lodge (Tracy Vrem) if the thought of a Peninsula hunt is appealing.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Tony Lee - Westwind Guide Service
Sam Fejes - Fejes Guide Service
Gary Butch King - Wildman Lake Lodge
Shoemaker’s - Grizzly Skins of Alaska
Jonah Stewart - Johns’s Alaskan Outfitters.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I think a lot of it depends on what type of hunt/adventure you're looking for. Horseback, basecamp and spike out, ridge top, float ect. If you're just looking to get a great bull I'd look into Gods aviation. If I had the money I'd go there, great success rates on great bulls. If you're looking for a lot of work and adventure then a float hunt would be great or yukon on horseback.
I'd also 2nd God's Country Aviation. I hunted with them last year, great outfit. I believe he is booked unit 26 and not taking reservations for 27 yet. Like said above, it really depends on the type of hunt you want. Good luck!
PM this type of information…damn. 🤬

His post specifically requested an Outfitter, NOT a DIY transporter...

Know you both want to be helpful, but you’re NOT! SMH 🤬

AKBorn

WKR
Tony Lee - Westwind Guide Service
Sam Fejes - Fejes Guide Service
Gary Butch King - Wildman Lake Lodge
Shoemaker’s - Grizzly Skins of Alaska
Jonah Stewart - Johns’s Alaskan Outfitters.
As long as you're calling guys out for not being helpful - have you personally hunted within the last decade with all of the outfits you listed? If not, what is the basis for recommending them?

PNWGATOR

WKR
As long as you're calling guys out for not being helpful - have you personally hunted within the last decade with all of the outfits you listed? If not, what is the basis for recommending them?
I’ve hunted with none of them.

I’ve done my due diligence.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
I can vouch for Stan parkerson in Alaska, his outfit is Denali hunts and he's strictly archery. Was fortunate to hunt with him and take 2 bulls. I can also vouch for deuling stone outfitters in the Yukon. Gun killed a really nice bull with him. Hunted with Jonah Stewart but not for moose. I wouldn't hesitate a second to go with him either. Good luck on your search.

AKBorn

WKR
I’ve hunted with none of them.

I’ve done my due diligence.
REspectfully, it would be difficult to trust someone else's research as opposed to personal and recent experience. Some of these outfits have been operating for many decades, and can have down cycles that are not accurately depicted in the success rates on their websites.

I hunted many years ago with one of these outfits, and would not hunt with them a 2nd time. Not because of harvest success (I did harvest an animal), but because the style of hunt we agreed on was not what I ended up getting. The gap between what was promised and what was delivered on guided AK hunts was a big factor in my opting to go unguided for the past 15 years or so.

Good on you for doing your research, and hope that your future AK hunts deliver the adventure you are seeking. And good luck to the OP, AK hunting is in a challenging period, hope you find and book a memorable hunt.

PNWGATOR

WKR
REspectfully, it would be difficult to trust someone else's research as opposed to personal and recent experience. Some of these outfits have been operating for many decades, and can have down cycles that are not accurately depicted in the success rates on their websites.

I hunted many years ago with one of these outfits, and would not hunt with them a 2nd time. Not because of harvest success (I did harvest an animal), but because the style of hunt we agreed on was not what I ended up getting. The gap between what was promised and what was delivered on guided AK hunts was a big factor in my opting to go unguided for the past 15 years or so.

Good on you for doing your research, and hope that your future AK hunts deliver the adventure you are seeking. And good luck to the OP, AK hunting is in a challenging period, hope you find and book a memorable hunt.
Fair enough.

Willing to share what you’ve learned and what you’d recommend?

Simply offering recommendations for the OP to consider and do his due diligence as I fully appreciate the magnitude of the decision(s).

AKBorn

WKR
Fair enough.

Willing to share what you’ve learned and what you’d recommend?

Simply offering recommendations for the OP to consider and do his due diligence as I fully appreciate the magnitude of the decision(s).
I agree with you on the importance of due diligence. As for what I have learned - having done unguided remote AK hunts since 2010, I feel like any recommendationa on guided hunts I have might be a bit dated. I would probably check the harvest records to see what units are currently producing the most bulls (or biggest bulls if thats what the OP is after), and then see what guides/outfitters are working those units. Once I found a few options, I would send them some general questions about their operations, and ask for references from both successful and unsuccessful hunters. I would also ask about the experience level of their guides, and seek assurances that I wasnt dropping major coin to hunt with a guide who was a packer two years ago. Finally, i would give the Fish and Game biologist in that unit a call to get their take on the outfitter, and listen carefully to their response.

3/5ths of his list is on the very good list in my opinion. Happy to be good friends with two of them. Add in the recommendation for another great friend Stan by Murphy and a few others not mentioned and you have a very solid list to talk with.