Thru-Hike Pack??? UL or Lite Kifaru or SG or ???

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
To build off the earlier post of hunting pack for training hikes, what about longer thru-hikes?

Doing the 220 miles of John Muir Trailin advance of sheep season this year if the high snow levels of the Sierras don’t cause too much issue. Sheep season would have proven the right time to do it this year, but mid-June will have to do as only way it leaves me sufficient time to catch up at work before sheep and then moose hunts.

So I have been sorting pack options. Leaning away from true UL pack as my sister in law is coming with and I foolishly agreed to carry the large bear can and food for the trip. So need something that will comfy carry 45-ish pounds, little heavier likely the first couple days after resupplies. I carried 58lb pack up to Mt. Whitney Trail Camp at over 12k’ last year with my brother since I was getting ready for the season. Did it fine, but 58lbs is a little more than I’d like, so the SIL will still have to carry a decent amount of her own gear—I’m just doing the food till final resupply at MTR.

Was thinking of going with an Osprey Atmos or Gregory Baltoro, but with them approaching or just creeping over 5lbs, seems the new Kifaru Hoodlem wouldn’t prove much heavier with a Lite frame. I have a SG 7900 Guide I used last year on my sheep hunt, which is pretty comfy till you load meat, cape, horns and camp into it then it simply kind of hurts in spots—but that’s the price for success ai guess. I would have happily traded for a Kifaru belt on that pack out though.

If I went with hunting pack, would likely carry the same for sheep season too. I usually always hike/train with my hunting pack as the season gets close as well, but when carrying it a solid portion of every day for 17-20 days, I really want some comfort too. I will want to run a bladder and hip pockets are a must. I’m a big boy, getting down to 10-11% BF presently by the bod pod, but still weigh 238lbs—so carry a fair amount of muscle on my frame and I HAVE to eat and do so often on the trail. Want to see me pissed, zip-tie my hip belt snack pockets closed.

So when I start looking at adding hydration sleeves and hip pockets and such, this close call on weight seems to broaden a bit. That said, I know my base weight is reasonable, and not overly large except the huge 14” long bearcan.

I plan to complete more of the PCT next year unless we simply repeat John Muir—brothers schedule depending. So I have zero issu3s with buying a separate dedicated pack for this style of backpack camping. This isn’t a cost savings measure, would solely be to carry same pack as I hunt.

Anyway, I’m overanalyzing options to the point of spinnng circles—so any input, even just suck it up and carry a compacted bag like a real man, might prove helpful and is appreciated.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just did about a week on the CDT from the Mexico border. I used our Seek Outside Divide. It will haul 100 lbs if I wanted it to , and it weighs barely over 3 lbs . My loads were mostly less than 40 (some long water hauls I probably went a bit over).

You may want to get on some thru hike forums.
I believe the hunt backcountry podcast had a thru hiker on a year or so back.
But I'd take a big lightweight dry sack and some cord for bears not a container.
Thru hikers top out at about 25 lb packs. There not even in the same realm as hunters

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think on the JMT you are required to use a bear canister. They don't give you the option of hanging. Had a friend who did that hike last summer. He was using a Zpacks bag, but he wasn't carrying another person's food either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Yepper, when contacted they want to see your permit and bear canister. The canister is a PAI and the real limiting factor for resupply requirements. I’ve looked in thru-hiker forums, and all are UL guys using gossamer gear or Zpacks or the like which are great for ultralight outfit. I’m planning on carrying more weight and since this is part of my summer training I want a load similar to my hunt pack weight which if anything like last year will be in the realm of 45-48lbs excluding rifle and binos.

I’ll keep kicking ideas around in my head—have time. At least it’s not a full thruhike like AT/PCT/CDT, only 220miles and little over 90,000’ of elevation change. LOL.

OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Watched the video on that Divide—nice pack. Haven’t spent any time with the Seek Outside packs, but love the shelters. Have a larger tipi, and all my Alaska hikes which are mostly solo I always have my little silvertip in the pack.

That silvertip made a night that would have been downright dangerous beside a glacier last sheep season after packing two sheep up from the wrong side of the mountain, got stuck out overnight, soaked with sweat and the winds off the glacier roared all night. Not super comfy night, but we were safe and hellova lot better off than we’d been without it.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Watched the video on that Divide—nice pack. Haven’t spent any time with the Seek Outside packs, but love the shelters. Have a larger tipi, and all my Alaska hikes which are mostly solo I always have my little silvertip in the pack.

That silvertip made a night that would have been downright dangerous beside a glacier last sheep season after packing two sheep up from the wrong side of the mountain, got stuck out overnight, soaked with sweat and the winds off the glacier roared all night. Not super comfy night, but we were safe and hellova lot better off than we’d been without it.

Thanks

The divide will do a bear can . I used a version on part of the JMT a few years ago. I've also used them as a spare on many pack outs ... the only real issue being it's a top loader in the bag pack out but the bags clean up no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
If I was doing a thru hike I'd probably go buy a bunch of zpacks gear...including a pack. I've discussed gear with a few thru hikers and they're all mostly ultra light.

3forks

WKR
I've been interested in doing a thru hike and spent some time reviewing the packs people are using. A hiker's base weight is light enough that some UL packs are designed without load lifters or waist belts.

I understand the concept of UL hiking, but it seems like at some point, you would have to just commit to owning a specialized UL pack to be used for a specific trip.

Even though a lot of the UL pack manufacturers will state their packs will allow you to carry up to 45 pounds in a frameless pack without load lifters; I'm not sure that many people could actually be comfortable or efficient if they did.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
I'd concentrate on reducing pack weight then look at one of the long distance packs, meaning ULA, Zpacks, MLD or SeekOutsides ultralight bags. Hunting packs are great at what they were built for, a semi heavy load to camp and a heavy load out. The other packs are designed to wear day in and day out with sub 40lbs loads for months with emphasis on comfort. You should remember that this ain't no training hike. No matter how much carried weight, after walking 13-15 miles a day for 20 days, your cardio and legs are gonna be ripped. You will be ready for sheep season.

Apollo117

WKR
As mentioned previously, I would focus on reducing pack weight. You mention a weight of 45lbs. Is this your base weight? Why are you carrying 45lbs for a June hike? Please don't take this negatively. I'm just curious why that is the weight you settled on.

Also, if you're set on buying an UL pack for this hike, I suggest checking the used gear sections on UL hiking forums. Whiteblaze has a decent used gear section.

Whiteblaze and bpl forums is where i would start for a used pack. I have my 3 season hiking gear pretty dialed in for me with a base weight of around 14 pounds, thats without food and water of course. Im using a ula ohm 2.0 on these trips. This pack works good for me up to about 25 pounds total weight. Im not using a bear canister though and would likely step up to a circuit or catalyst if i were. Good luck, it sounds like an awesome trip.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been on the JMT and 3 sections of the CDT. I would caution against being too into the forums. Reality and forum world can be fairly different. In fact, I did a section of the CDT last week from the Mexico border so some of my knowledge is fairly recent.

You are likely to see more Osprey packs, some externals, some lightweight packs and a general mix of gear. I ran into a guy on day 4 last week and he was wearing an Osprey, carrying a 10 degree bag, and a DSLR ... he has done the PCT so he been there done that.

It really is sort of a hike your own hike world. Perhaps the absolute lightest is the way to go if you plan to go to town often to resupply. Myself, I prefer longer stints without support so would be more likely to carry 10 days of food. Of course, I did 2 20 mile plus days last week with all of it and it did not bother me, I am fine carrying 30 -40 lbs in a pack that carries well.

R_burg

WKR
Not necessarily on your topic, but which belt do you have for the SG? The newer designed belt (circa 2 yrs ago or so now) seems to be universally thought of as more comfortable.

Sorry I'm not adding much, just thought I'd mention it.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the advice above - hike your hike.

I did the JMT in '08 (man that's a long time ago now...) and had a great time. We were out 33 days including a couple days in Yosemite before starting and a couple side trips, (fished every day) so we really took our time. I think I've retired everything used on that trip now after deciding to get a new stove last year. We had a number of 3-8 day trips under our belts beforehand, but our gear reflected that we just graduated from College. Feel free to PM me for any info that may help.

I'd ask yourself what kind of trip you want to have. For us, it was a fishing trip that happened to include hiking every day. We were many days between resupplies (I think 14 days at the end) and didn't rely on fish for dinner. My bear canister actually bent the frame on my backpacking pack during that trip. I kept using it for years before buying a hunting pack. Now I won't go back. Even when my gear is UL for an overnight now I use my hunting pack. I just find it more comfortable at all weights. I could save a 2-3 lbs if I used an UL pack, but if I'm down to 20 lbs I don't see what another couple really gains me - I'm not going for big miles. If I have a longer stretch with 35+ lbs, then I'm happy to have the capability of the hunting pack.

I also started using the Ursack a couple years ago. I like it, but I don't think it's allowed in certain places like Yosemite (double check of course). It's a big improvement, though, if you can switch out your canister at a resupply. We used the bear canister the whole trip. Bears messed with our food a couple times on the trail and we didn't lose anything.

One other thing I like about the hunting pack is the ability to expand in a pinch. A few years ago (before having a hunting pack) my wife sprained both ankles pretty bad on the trail within an hour. Luckily it was nothing life-threatening, but we decided to bail out a side trail. A buddy and me split up her gear and we hiked out. It's normally just the two of us, so in another circumstance I could've taken all of her gear. A different trip winter backpacking with another couple and their dogs had a small dog end up really chaffed from wearing a coat and limping badly. I put the dog in my pack for a piggy back ride the rest of the way.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like doing long days, but on the JMT, I would certainly get some fishing in.

OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Think my base weight will be somewhere in the high teens, before the pack itself. Say this based off my sheep hunt last year, using same sleep system, cook set up, bringing same elctronics, etc. Apollo asked why my base weight was like 45 pounds for a June hike, think you might have missed the original post. I am expecting that as my weight with food and water. My plan is carrying food for myself and my sister-in-law who is coming along till we get to Muir Trail Ranch. Hoping to finish out from there without another resupply, so sending that resupply bucket with a 2nd bearcan she will carry from there. Otherwise, it requires a longer hike out or paying for a pack in.

Since I will be carrying food for two, in a large bear canister (carrying a Bearikade Expedition), not planning to use an ULA pack. Simply not buying one for this trip as I want something that is comfortable with at least a modest load. Was more on the fence and looking for input between the likes of Osprey/Gregory or Kifaru/SG or now, honestly like the look of the frame setup of the seekoutside.

Kevin, I do admit that Divide would be my bees knees if it had a side zip like one of the other models I was looking at on your website. When my brother and I hiked Mt. Whitney last year, we spent a couple days so we had to of course do the bear canister, and since I am an apparent glutten for punishment, I agreed to pack the food and camp on the way up. I used a buddies Osprey pack, which was super comfy, but those bear canisters are simply a huge PIA getting in and out of a top loading pack. The one think I absolutley want this time around is something is front or side access.

R_burg--my SG pack has their newer belt. I did not find it overly comfortable in comparison to the Kifaru and nowhere near as comfortable as my Barney's Frame pack. My Barney's frame pack is simply a cumbersome, but comfy workhorse when it comes to packing heavy loads--so not fair to compare it to the SG. I had a hard time getting the belt adjusted right--tension wise. When I would cinch it down, it would at times slip back far enough to loosen up and sag unless you really overly cinched, which it would then hold tight, but so tight it would cause upper hip pain. It was fine with just camp gear/food/rifle--but once I added a sheep, it was a somewhat miserable packout going back and forth from too loose to too tight. Chalked it up to the pain of success--but admit the closer sheep season gets the more I think about other alternatives. Really liked the bag itself--I can run it like I do my Barney's during moose season with spotter on one side, rifle on the other, and tripod on the back. Plenty of room, relatively lite for the size. Good quality of construction, just couldn't get the webbing to adjust and hold right for me. Maybe user error. Before I abandon it, I should likely call up SG and ask if they had others with similar issues or know how to fix it.

OP
Wildwillalaska

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
Oh, and I do like to fish. We may bring a liteweight setup from the get go, may send it in the last resupply. As much snow as the sierras got this year, worried it may prove slower going than normal, and some of the lakes will still have some ice possibly. So waiting to see what the break up brings before we decide. I cannot spend a month this year on the JMT--wishing I could though. Sadly have work obligations, so need to finish in less than 20 days if possible or run the risk of messing up my time off for sheep and then moose hunts. The misses is already a little peeved--which at least taking her sister along helped smooth that out a bit.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We do not offer a divide with side zip however a Goshawk with mesh talon is pretty comparable and offers breakaway carry / load shelf as well as ability to use talon only / hauler etc ... however it will weigh about 4 lbs instead of 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk