best bang for your buck reliable, dialable, hunting scope

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard of people on this forum having tracking issues with the Leupold VX5HD but I have 3 of them and have yet to have an issue. One on a 300 Win mag, one on a muzzy, and one that plays musical rifles. They don't track IMO as accurately as a nightforce SHV but are light and better glass. 500 yards w/ a 6.5 is pretty easy to do and you aren't using up enough MOA to see the accuracy difference in the travel. I like the capped windage and the locking turret.

It has all of the features that I like in a hunting scope and a good magnification range. If they continue to function well they will most certainly stay in the lineup for me.

Gila

WKR
I love pronghorn hunting because it is typically long range hunting. For decades I used a 3x9 on my .270 with standard simple crosshairs. Most of the shots have been 150 to 450 yards. I seldom took the scope off of 9x. I have never missed a pronghorn. One shot and done. I am here to tell ya that them thare little goats look dang small at 500 yds with a 9x. My longest shot on the speed goats with the 9x is 460 yards. There were times I wish I had a 12 power though.

When I was growing up there were Weaver, Redfield, Burris and Leupold scopes and that was about it. A handful of years ago after a couple bouts of chemo my eyes weren’t so good anymore. That 3x9 wasn’t looking so good. I did a little research, watched a ton of you tube video reviews and decided to go with a tactical scope for hunting. Best decision I could make. The ED glass (and you want to make sure you get good Japanese ED glass for your price point) is amazing. Getting the best glass you can afford is important. As far as all of the bells and whistles are concerned, that is just a matter of preference. You gotta have a good sight picture for hunting at all ranges. Nothing else really matters.

I bought my first tactical scope from CameraLand. Awesome outfit with fast shipping, great prices, huge selection, and a good buying experience. Doug will do you right. He will point you in the right direction for want you need and want.

Shot some steel @600 this past Saturday with my collection of SWFAs. 1-6 on a 11.5 5.56 SBR, a 3-9 on a 308 AR10, and a 3-15 on a 243. The 3-9 is awesome for the distances you're talking about. I'll even sell you the 3-15 if you're really interested.

My only advice is don't buy a vortex in the price range you're considering because you'll need to use that warranty in a couple years. Also, if you're determined to spend your 1k find a 4-16 SHV F1 used and don't look back.

sneaky

"DADDY"
SWFA 3-9x is a better general purpose 0-600 yard optic than the NF NXS 2.5-10x because of FFP and a better reticle. I get NXS’s for free, I pay for SWFA...

I never mentioned glass. People that talk glass have no clue what scopes do. Anymore it’s pretty much akin to talking about how clear the windshield is on a new vehicle. Second focal plane is a compromise that has no upside when compared to a good FFP.
Haven't seen an update on your Optika6 thread in a bit. How's that one going? Killed that scope yet?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Haven't seen an update on your Optika6 thread in a bit. How's that one going? Killed that scope yet?

Was just thinking in the last couple of days that I need to update it. Nope, it’s still working. Have another thousand or so 6.5 and 308 round on it and a couple thousand rimfire. Still kicking.

Was just thinking in the last couple of days that I need to update it. Nope, it’s still working. Have another thousand or so 6.5 and 308 round on it and a couple thousand rimfire. Still kicking.
Seeing as how the SWFA’s are nowhere to be seen (new, anyway) would you be confident recommending the optika 6s? Season is just a few months away.

Do you know if the eternals are the same across their line?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Seeing as how the SWFA’s are nowhere to be seen (new, anyway) would you be confident recommending the optika 6s? Season is just a few months away.
You should look up the thread he has where he's testing it in the optics section. He's put it through its paces. It's a good read and will answer most questions you may have.

Dobermann

WKR
Not gunna deny SWFA sells a nice product but when are they actually gunna be in stock again. I got tired of waiting on the 3-15x42. These things have been out of stock for 6 months or more.
Ilya mentioned on a recent livestream that SWFA have had at least one shipment come in during the last year, and go out again, all to pre-orders ... so don't just expect to see them come up as being in stock - if you really want one, you need to pre-order.

sndmn11

WKR
The neat part about scopes in pic rings and rifles with pic rails is you can move them around. Get the 6x SWFA, when you learn what you are doing and what YOU want, the 6x will go great on your next rifle or a rimfire or as a backup. $300 for a lifetime item is silly inexpensive.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

No. I’ve only seen this one. My guess is they are decent, but no way would I recommend them based on one sample (or several for that matter).

Do you know if the eternals are the same across their line?

No idea. They probably are, but I can’t say.

sndmn11

WKR
I just bought another 6x SWFA for $210 today. They are surely out there and available for $250 or less. @wrhoads has a 3-15 for under $600 available. You can outfit your Proof and your Tikka for $850 or less, and have the same reticle, same controls, same concepts, and same reliability. To me that is some major bang for your buck. There are only two "drawbacks" to those scopes, and they are easily solved if one cares.

Otherwise get an LRTS(i), LRHS(i) used, a new LRHS2, or a Nightforce shvF1.

It's easy to find a 3-9 SWFA if you want one. Just post a wtb in the classified here and all the other forums you've asked these questions on. I'm sure you'll find someone willing to part with one in no time. I did this recently, and could have bought multiple in a day.

I thought I had found one the other day here on rokslide but it was just a scammer .... would love to find one tho I know they are good .... the 4.5-18 is just a bit to much mag but the 3-12 would be perfect

I have two 4.5-18 LRHSi’s I’d let go for $750 ea shipped in the lower 48. I planned on listing them one of these days..

Krushrr

FNG
How bout a zeiss v4 3-12x44....$699 #20 reticle NIB. Idk, the leupold vx5hd 2-10 I used to own wasn't very impressed being that I had to refocus from 2 power to 10. The Zeiss is a rather large scope. It's the only drawback I can think of, or if you're looking for different reticle or illumination the price jumps pretty quick. I'm used to a vx3 2.5-8x36 or a swarokski PH 2.5-10x42 so 12 power at the range is pretty nice imo but at the same time not overkill for 500-600 yds in the field.

Bluto

WKR
Okay, I want light and there’s no 3-9 SWFA available. I don’t shoot beyond 400yds, hunting only.

This?

SWFA 2.5-10x32?

Edit - scratch that. I now notice the reticle, that explains it being in stock. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited: