Best Binos for $400 or Less

TexEnv700

Lil-Rokslider
As the title says, budget is sub $400. What will give me the most for my money? Looking at Maven C series, vortex diamondbacks, Leupold BX-2, etc. Primary use will be deer hunting with lots of low light, picking deer out of tall grass/brush in prairie/ag field terrain. Have hopes of a western hunt in the future. Looking primarily at 10x42s. Thanks for any input.

Athlon Midas HD from Doug at CL. On par with Viper HD in every way, but only $199. They are very nice.

Athlon Midas

Athlon Cronus

Meopta Meopro

Meopta Optika

Hawke Frontier ED X

Kowa BD II

Feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss what would be best for you

Last edited:
Athlon Midas

Athlon Cronus

Meopta Meopro

Meopta Optika

Hawke Frontier ED X

Feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss what would be best for you

With glass quality being the main concern, how would you rank these starting with the best or is that how you listed them?

The Midas has a much wider FOV

341 ft vs 326 feet absolutely would not outweigh MIC vs MIJ, a locking diopter, an ounce or two less weight for the BX-4, and what I would surmise is much better glass IMO. I haven't had a Midas, but I have had a Cronus 8.5x42 that I compared directly to the BX-4 8x32 in low light and I sent the Cronus back. It had impressive glass but was a tank and optically I though the BX-4's even with the much smaller objectives were brighter.

I would rob Peter to pay Paul and work up to the BX4. Way more Binos for the money. Watch sales or cash in your cabelas points. It’s worth it

Back