Best boot leather conditioner/waterproofing?

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Schnees beartooths. Used Sno-seal on them with a hair dryer (never let the boot get very hot). The waterproofing was pretty decent for a while, but the rand started to delam. Sent them to Schnees and they did their best to reglue them, then treated them with Nikwax and sent them back. Some parts stuck, others not so great. The nikwax barely lasted an outing before wearing out. I'm using Kenetrek boot wax this year. As far as I've seen, they're the only formula specifically guaranteed not to mess with the rand. I like the consistency a lot, it absorbs extremely well with no heat, and repels water. Long term durability is tba, but I expect it to perform well.

In short:
Sno-seal - good waterproof. Decent durability. Delaminates rand.
Nikwax - doesnt delam rand. Inadequate waterproof. Poor durability.
Kenetrek wax - Doesnt delam rand. Longterm durability tba.

Have been using Huberd's Boot Grease for several years now and am completely satisfied. I have tried Snow Seal many moons ago when it was all that was available locally, it was OK. Mink oil worked well but the leather became sloppy and the stitching deteriorated. Came upon Huberd's when I came out west, works better than the previous stuff. YMMV!

gelton

WKR
I've tried Nikwax, Obenhaufs, Montana Pitch and Zamberlan Hydrobloc and I like Hydrobloc the best and Nikwax the least...Obenhaufs caused some rand delamination issues for me.

BCsteve

WKR
I used Obernauf’s on my Meindl without any issues and it seemed to work fine. My new Meindl came with a tin of their own wax waterproofer that I’m using. So far so good so I’ll keep using that on this pair. Of note, Obernauf’s use to say that it was compatible with Goretex right on the container. They no longer make that claim.

I'm using Kenetrek's wax since the boots are under warranty and that's what they say to use, but it doesn't seem to repel the water as well as snow seal does. I haven't had any leaks yet though.

SnoSeal melted and painted on with a cheap paintbrush and let dry (and then I may or may not have waited for the wife to go to work and use a hair dryer to melt and work in for a final job).

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
So several years ago I read an article about a guy using wax from a cheap toilet wax seal ring and getting good results, so I had to give it a try on a very old pair of Rocky winter boots I had that leaked like it was their job to see if it worked. I left the boots and the wax out in the sun on a hot day till the wax was more like a warm gel and gave each boot a healthy coating and let it soak in to the leather and nylon canvas type fabric they use. Well now about 5 years later those boots get the same 50 cent treatment every summer and they are completely water tight all winter without fail. Its cheap and its redneck as hell.

Hondo

WKR
Schnee's used to sell and recommend Obenauf's leather care products and I've used them for years without issue along with other brands including Montana Pitch Blend and Granger's. A lot of folks buy the tubs of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP as a waterproofing treatment perhaps not realizing that the LP stands for leather preservative. It is a beeswax based leather conditioner with some water-repellency and Obenauf's sells a separate product called Water Shield for waterproofing that is a silicone based spray to be applied on chrome tanned leather (also fabrics & suede) after the leather has been treated with Heavy Duty LP.

As far as silicone based treatments go Water Shield is one of the best I have used as it is odorless and most others are definitely not. It is not recommended to apply it on vegetable tanned leathers. Most nubuck leather is chrome tanned but not all so it is best to check with the maker.

LongCut

FNG
I just finished putting Kenetrek on my boots about 15 mins ago. I have no clue how well it works yet, but I can tell you that it has no noticeable odor (unlike the old stuff I had) and is ridiculously easy to apply. Plus I got it on amazon, delivered for under $20. A big plus considering I haven't found much locally.

I wore a glove and body heat and a tiny bit of friction was more than enough. No heat needed. In fact, they recommend no heat as it can degrade the rand adhesive.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nikwax is the best stuff out there. We've tried it all and it is what we recommend now. Plus, it's one of the few out there specifically formulated for membrane boots. Doesn't interfere with the moisture transport. One thing we tell people to steer clear of is Sno Seal. We've seen it do terrible things to leather after a few years of application. Really dries it out and inhibits it's ability to re-condition/take in oils. - Matt

wildcat33

WKR
Ive had good luck with the Graingers repel spray on for suede/rough-out type leathers.

Nikwax is the best stuff out there. We've tried it all and it is what we recommend now. Plus, it's one of the few out there specifically formulated for membrane boots. Doesn't interfere with the moisture transport. One thing we tell people to steer clear of is Sno Seal. We've seen it do terrible things to leather after a few years of application. Really dries it out and inhibits it's ability to re-condition/take in oils. - Matt

So no more montana pitch blend?

MBubley

FNG
I use one product called canadian bee-seal its fantastic all natural been using on all leather footwear for years, how ever does tend to rub off easy in deep snow, but if use that as more of a conditioner and go over top with redwing mink oil i have never had a better seal, tested on my redwings boots submerged in water for 2 hours straight before moustire started getting in, hope this helps

wyodan

WKR
I use Grangers and like it, although it doesn't last very long. It does last longer than Nikwax IMO. There are some other products that provide a longer lasting waterproofing, but I feel those products will eventually delaminate the soles and rands on most newer boots.