best caliber for coyotes?

I like 223, with bulk ammo being somewhat readily available, I’m able to get a lot of shooting practice in without breaking the bank and having another hobby like reloading.

I don’t have a preference on rifles, I’m a big fan of the savage bolt rifles, but typically hunt with an AR for the detachable mag, and grip angle.

URE_G

FNG
I've killed quite a few with .243 and a 55-grain bullet and it works great

Top Dog

FNG
I am a newbie here,in fact that this is my first post/reply.
In my state (CT) rifles are pretty much not allowed and for shotguns #2 shot is the largest allowed.

I have a 16 gauge single shot that I plan on doing some 'yote hunting with and using high base #4 shot. Patterns real tight out to 40 yards.

Do you think that this would be good enough?? I have 'yotes come fairly close while I am squirrel hunting but my high powered air rifle would not be good for a humane kill.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Top Dog

bmicek

WKR
I’ve been debating between a 22-250 and a 25-06. The 25-06 is intriguing when you can shoot a 70gr bullet 4000fps…

Top Dog

FNG
Bmicek,
A bullet at 4,000 fps sounds quite incredible but is it accurate?? The 25-06 is a good choice but I would prefer the lower velocities with a heavier bullet.

For many years,the 25-06 was a wildcat cartridge until the early 70s when it became a factory round.

If you handload,like I think you do,loads can be tailored down for 'yotes and then boosted up for larger game. The 25-06 is a very versatile with excellent ballistic coefficient and sectional density.

Top Dog

satchamo

WKR
22-250 and 243 are the best all around. Both can shoot absolute laser beams which is what you want for coyotes.

223 is just ok - it will definitely work but man you don’t have a lot of margin for error…. I’ve seen so many spinners and runners with 223 - and yes, it could easily be on the shooter (me).

Currently having a 243 large platform AR built for night hunting. Plan to shoot the hornady superformance 58 vmax damn near 4000 fps.

Last edited:

Top Dog

FNG
I have an acquaintance that uses a 300 Whisper suppressed on his property. The average coyote that he takes weighs in at 55+ pounds. Definitely not small.

Top Dog

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
I have an acquaintance that uses a 300 Whisper suppressed on his property. The average coyote that he takes weighs in at 55+ pounds. Definitely not small.

Top Dog
What’s the location? No offense but I find an average of 55lbs hard to believe

TheGDog

WKR
Confirmed... Berger 40's, BT hollow points. Pics below. These were splashing for me. I don't recall the exact load data, but roughly 25 grains of Ramshot TAC, Winchester brass, CCI primers, out of my Howa 1500. This was an extremely accurate load when testing at 100 yards. One enlarged hole with a light clover leaf shape.

I have no idea why they were splashing. The very first coyote I shot with the Bergers was right between the eyes at 125 yards (only shot I had as he staired at me through a loophole in the brush). Went down like a ton of bricks. Kept calling and got distracted. Afterwards when I went to pick up the first coyote, all I found was a blood spot about 3 inches in diameter and fresh scat. I think I literally knocked the crap out of him, and the coyote got up and left, never to be seen again.

Currently shooting Hornady 45gr SP, 24.8gr H4895, CCI primers, and mixed brass (Winchester and Hornady). Pushing about 3550fps. Can still shoot three shot groups like a clover leaf... all touching. They usually do not exit, but when they do, they leave a small (less than dime size) hole. I love this load, but they quit making the bullet.
Aw man.. I know that feeling. Shot my first one in a jumpshot opportunity real close-in and fast w/ .223 Rem bolt. First shot missed, then he heard me close the chamber on 2nd. He ran up out of the Draw, but stopped at it's top for a second to look back at me. So I hurried up in 1 fluid motion as best I could and POW!

He straight out did a full barrel-roll mid-air!! It was the most awesome thing I'd ever seen! Then he fell like a sack of potatos. But after falling to a slump... he was just rocking back-and-forth, so I'm all excited as heck thinking I got my 1st coyote in the bag. Then SOB if he doesn't get the hell back up after like.. um... I'd say maybe 5-6seconds? Stand up... look back at me.. then take the freak off!

I try to calm myself saying "It's ok G, he'll probably go like 40 or 60yds then keel over." ... NOPE!

Oh and it was crazy windy too, like maybe 25mph w 35gusts. I ended up blood-trailing him over 250yds! Up on out the draw.... up the knoll.... down the ravine... the ravine trial line I'm seeing nice splashes on adjacent stones occasionally... even took off pack and checked under this Juniper at bottom of the trail down ravine pointed at. Looked like it could maybe have a burrow inside of it's root system so figured I'd check. Sure enough like 2" pool of blood! Had to really really look around the Juniper but then found another drop. Made a line segment out of that drop and the prior.

It pointed toward going up the other side of the Ravine!? In his condition? Seriously? I walked up a rise...there was a flat spot and sure enough, more drops. But from that spot... looking all around? NOTHING! Look in ALL the Scrub oaks and Junipers that happened to dot the other side of the Ravine. Even waited around hoping the Raven that always patrol might start circling, but no go on that.

Top Dog

FNG
Hunting Fool,
New England. Seems to me like they have been cross breeding with wolves/German Shepards.
In this area,there are some,but not many dedicated coyote hunters,so the coyotes are doing quite well.

We used to have MANY turkeys and a healthy rabbit population but I think because of the coyotes,they have dwindled considerably.

Top Dog

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting Fool,
New England. Seems to me like they have been cross breeding with wolves/German Shepards.
In this area,there are some,but not many dedicated coyote hunters,so the coyotes are doing quite well.

We used to have MANY turkeys and a healthy rabbit population but I think because of the coyotes,they have dwindled considerably.

Top Dog
Thats interesting to hear, those are some big dogs. In my area a big coyote is 40-45 pounds with the majority of them being in the 25-35 pound range