Best Credit Card Rewards

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Fidelity Rewards Visa. 2% back on everything, cash deposited into a Fidelity account. No fees, no limits, no screwing with miles, redemptions, or any of that crap.
That’s what I use. I have it deposit in my daughters 529 college fund. It’s not going to pay for her school alone but it’s going to be a decent amount of money by the time she reaches that age (I contribute to it separately as well but specifically the rewards dollars will add up to something in the five figures with growth and all that).

Jkrugster

FNG
I have had a Cabelas card for ten years. Still have the card but I have switched to the Ducks Unlimited card. Only reason is 5% back on gas and groceries

Cap 1 and Am-X pay the highest rewards. In addition, the Am-X card doubles the warranty period on electronics. Bought a small flip-away television/DVD/radio console that mounted under the kitchen cabinet so I could watch TV while I cook and clean the dishes. 14 mos later it took a dump and when I called the company where I bought it, the asshat owner laughed at me and offered to sell me a new one at full price. I called Am-X, explained the situation and they issued a 100% credit for it. I called the asshat back so he could hear the last laugh. :p

Last edited:

seawolfxix

Lil-Rokslider
Amazon Rewards Visa for Amazon purchases (5%).

Apple Card for Apple purchases (normally 3%, but currently 6% for holiday).

Fidelity Visa for everything else (2%).

nick15

FNG
I'll have to look into the DU card - seems pretty good as I buy my fair share of gasoline with hunting and fishing trips.

fatlander

WKR
Cap 1 venture, Cap 1 Quick Silver and considering getting the Cap 1 Savor.

The venture is awesome in the fact that you spend 3K within the first 3 months and they give you 50,000 miles. The quicksilver card has a similar perk. You can transfer rewards from one card to the other as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ditched my Cabelas visa for a Capital One Spark small business card. Builds cash rewards quickly, very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcdinaz

FNG
AMEX Platinum if you travel is worth the $500 a year fee. $200 back on purchase from your favorite airline, $15 a month in Uber credit, credit back on TSA or Global Entry fee, lounge access at most airports., extended warranties and road side assistance. The points spend almost as good as real $'s on Amazon and may other places.

I like the Delta "Reserve" Amex card. For $500, you get a companion pass each year, first class included, no blackout dates, etc. On top of that you get access to the Sky Clubs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wells Fargo Propel AmEx is pretty good. No annual fee, $300 sign up bonus, 3% on eating out/ordering in, 3% on travel, 3% on gas and uber, 3% on streaming services, 1% otherwise.

Citi doublecash or Capitol One Quicksilver Visa are good for purchases that would fall in that 1% category. Doublecash is 2% on everything, Quicksilver is 1.5% with a $150 sign up bonus.

No one has said it yet but the Ducks Unlimited Visa gives you 5% back on sporting goods stores and gas. It's a really solid sportsman's card.

Gets 5% cash back all the time at places like Fleet Farm, Scheels, Cabelas, Blackovis, Academy, Runnings etc.

I pair it with the Citi Double Cash card like others have mentioned. 2%-5% back on everything adds up really quickly.

Have you ever had any issues not receiving the 5% back on sporting goods stores? I've been unable to find a list of stores that would fall under "sporting goods stores."

nick15

FNG
Found this in their (DU card) credit terms:

“Sporting Goods Store Purchases” are Net Purchases made at any merchant whose MCC is classified by the payment card industry as “Sporting Goods” (MCC 5941) or “Sports and Riding Apparel Stores” (MCC 5655).“Gas Purchases” are Net Purchases made at any merchant whose merchant category code (“MCC”) is classified by the payment card industry as “Service Stations (with or without ancillary services)” (MCC 5541) or “Automated Fuel Dispensers” (MCC 5542). The MCC is a four-digit code used by the payment card industry to classify a merchant’s primary business. Some merchants may have multiple MCCs (even within the same retail location) and some merchants might be expected to be classified into one of the MCCs identified above, but they may not be classified as such. This could affect whether purchases made from such merchants will qualify as a Sporting Goods Store Purchase, Gas Purchase, or other Net Purchase and, as a result, how many points will be earned on such transactions. We do not assign MCCs to merchants and we are not responsible for confirming or monitoring the MCC assignments made by the payment card networks. We reserve the right to determine, in our sole discretion, whether any transaction qualifies as a Sporting Goods Store Purchase, Gas Purchase, or Net Purchase, and our determinations shall be final

NDGuy

WKR
Have you ever had any issues not receiving the 5% back on sporting goods stores? I've been unable to find a list of stores that would fall under "sporting goods stores."
TBH I only looked into it once and I know for a fact that Scheels, Cabelas, Blackovis, Fleet Farm and Runnings all counted on my card at one point. Remember that gas stations aren't limited to just fuel either (cough cough) it's any thing at the gas station.

I personally think it is a no brainer if you can manage credit cards well to get the DU card.

TBH I only looked into it once and I know for a fact that Scheels, Cabelas, Blackovis, Fleet Farm and Runnings all counted on my card at one point. Remember that gas stations aren't limited to just fuel either (cough cough) it's any thing at the gas station.

I personally think it is a no brainer if you can manage credit cards well to get the DU card.

I actually have the DU card, but I only use it for gas and big name brand sporting goods stores. I have a Citi Bank Doubke Cash card I use for everything else that gives 2%. Looks like I can look up MCCs and identify what stores qualify, just want to make sure to get the 2% on some big purchases if the 5% doesn’t go through.

Found this in their (DU card) credit terms:

“Sporting Goods Store Purchases” are Net Purchases made at any merchant whose MCC is classified by the payment card industry as “Sporting Goods” (MCC 5941) or “Sports and Riding Apparel Stores” (MCC 5655).“Gas Purchases” are Net Purchases made at any merchant whose merchant category code (“MCC”) is classified by the payment card industry as “Service Stations (with or without ancillary services)” (MCC 5541) or “Automated Fuel Dispensers” (MCC 5542). The MCC is a four-digit code used by the payment card industry to classify a merchant’s primary business. Some merchants may have multiple MCCs (even within the same retail location) and some merchants might be expected to be classified into one of the MCCs identified above, but they may not be classified as such. This could affect whether purchases made from such merchants will qualify as a Sporting Goods Store Purchase, Gas Purchase, or other Net Purchase and, as a result, how many points will be earned on such transactions. We do not assign MCCs to merchants and we are not responsible for confirming or monitoring the MCC assignments made by the payment card networks. We reserve the right to determine, in our sole discretion, whether any transaction qualifies as a Sporting Goods Store Purchase, Gas Purchase, or Net Purchase, and our determinations shall be final

Awesome! Thank you!

It really depends on what you are looking for. I have a GM card that I've had long enough that I get 5% or 10% credit up to $500 per year towards a new GM vehicle. $3,500 came in handy a few months ago when I purchased a new truck (I don't think they offer such a good deal on new GM cards though). Once I hit my $500 in annual earnings I don't use the card anymore.

However, airfare is what I really use points for. Living in Atlanta makes it pretty easy to play the points game. I use an Amex Rewards card that I get between 1x and 5x points on purchases which I then use for airline ticket purchases that usually equate to $0.015 to $0.03 per point. Meaning if I'm looking at a $500 airline ticket and it requires anything more than 35,000 points, I don't use Amex points and pay cash or use Capital One points.

My business card is a Capital One that gives me 2x airline points. I like that but you can't play the points game with this card. If I buy a $2,000 airline ticket it costs me 200,000 points regardless ($100,000 in purchases at 2x). How does this differ from the Amex points I use? I once was able to purchase a $2,000 airline ticket for my wife to South Africa for 75,000 Amex Points. I only had to spend roughly $35,000 to $40,000 in purchases because I'm able to average that with reward points that range from 1x to 5x.

If you want cash back, find the one that has the best cash back option. Travel, store credit, etc., figure out what and where you are going to purchase and do the math like I did above. Also look closely at what teaser deals there are out there. Amex recently offered me 100,000 bonus points to upgrade to a Platinum card but I missed my window :( .
The new GM card is 2% back no limit, I got a free car last year!

If you ever plan to come to Alaska, get the Alaska Airlines CC. 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2000 in 1st 90 days. Plus once a year companion fare for $99. 1st bag is free. 40,000 miles will sometimes get you here and back. PM me if you want and I'll get 5000 mIles to send an email referral.