Upgrade my Kuiu 1850 or get something else?

LJ Buck

WKR
It's not that I didn't like the exo. It just is not as comfortable as a SG. The SG meat shelf system is the best of any pack I have tried and the over all system is just super clean and very easy to use. I love the weapon sling on t he SG. The exo is a nice pack and is a good frame just once I hit 80lbs the SG handled it better IMO but the EXO was still comfortable with heavy loads. A KUiU pack is not on the same level as these packs if I had never tried a SG I am sure I would be super happy with a EXO. I have never owned a Kifaru pack so cant speak from experience but you can find plenty of reviews I am sure.

I just emailed KUIU a few days ago about the same thing, getting a frame for my icon 1850, and they said there are none and suggested I check eBay or the forums. They said nothing to me about a dusty one in the warehouse. I'll just use as a daypack without frame. I haven't seen any icons with frame for sale anywhere.

OP
N

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
It's not that I didn't like the exo. It just is not as comfortable as a SG. The SG meat shelf system is the best of any pack I have tried and the over all system is just super clean and very easy to use. I love the weapon sling on t he SG. The exo is a nice pack and is a good frame just once I hit 80lbs the SG handled it better IMO but the EXO was still comfortable with heavy loads. A KUiU pack is not on the same level as these packs if I had never tried a SG I am sure I would be super happy with a EXO. I have never owned a Kifaru pack so cant speak from experience but you can find plenty of reviews I am sure.

80lbs is about the max I like to carry, so it's nice to see the SG handles it with ease. I also really like how simple the Solo is laid out, basically a bag and expandable meat shelf. I don't like a bunch of "organizing" pockets all over the place, I keep everything in small pouches and organize how I see fit.

I'm now leaning towards getting the SG Minimalist this year, then adding a bag such as the solo next year.

I'm wondering if I could build something like the Kifaru bikini frame to mount the Icon 1850 onto? Some aluminum bars and a chunk of sheet might be all that's needed, and a little ingenuity. Bag already has the suspension so just transfer it over to the frame. Like Nosferatu says, I don't want to carry over 80lbs anyway.