Upgrade my Kuiu 1850 or get something else?

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kuiu Icon 1850 without the carbon fiber frame from a couple years ago. Kuiu no longer offers the frames for these packs for sale anymore since they got redesigned.

I emailed Kuiu to see if the frame was at all available or if the new frame was compatible and after the initial "we don't sell that anymore, but you can buy our shiny new improved frame with a new pack for a gazillion dollars and have it just in time for it to become obsoleted by a new pack" response, I responded letting them know how unhappy it that makes me since I bought the pack with the upgrade ability in mind.

A couple days later I get a response and they magically found a frame collecting dust in the warehouse that they would happily sell me at full retail. I respond asking for a discount since, well, it's just collecting dust in a warehouse. They respond basically with "take it or leave it".

I'm unsure what to do at this point. I like the pack, it's lightweight and fits enough stuff so I don't bring too much crap with me. I would like a pack with a load shelf though for packing out meat. I had bought the pack with the intention of upgrading when the funds became available, but this is now my third experience with Kuiu that hasn't left me with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Pros:
The frame is available and the price is still less than buying a new Exo, Kifaru or Stone Glacier.
It would likely function great for me and do everything I want it to.

Cons:
I don't particularly like giving money to companies that couldn't really give a shit about my existence. Their holier-than-though attitude lately has rubbed me the wrong way.

I could probably sell the pack to put towards a new Exo, Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I'm also currently unemployed, so any extra money spent on this stuff goes on the credit card and every bit I can save, the better.

Thoughts? I hope it doesn't sound too much like I'm bashing Kuiu (which I understand I kinda am, but I also think I have a legitimate beef).

All I can add is I went back and forth this summer on training hikes between my Kifaru Timberline 3 and the KUIU Ultra 3000 I bought. I was putting in a bag of kitty litter for weight. I sold the KUIU............

Shrek

WKR
Might be able to score a G2 Kifaru Duplex and the bag of your choice. Basically all the bags made will fit it so you're not going to be left with completely obsolete garbage. Better yet is buy a new G3 frame and then find an older bag and rock on. All the new frames and old bags will fit and vice versa. Professional quality gear and superb customer service. I've now seen a close to production version of the G3 hunting frame in person and it's definitely a great refinement of the G2 Duplex. A G2 Duplex is still a great frame and only suffers in comparison to its next generation replacement. I could get started on the Kuiu but why beat a dead horse ?

dotman

WKR
Based on their take it or leave it response I would leave it. Sell the 1850 and move on. The frame they are trying to sell is known for breaking and is obsolete since a new frame is now offered.

At the least they could of offered you the 1800 ultra with frame for the price of a new frame.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I have a Kuiu Icon 1850 without the carbon fiber frame from a couple years ago. Kuiu no longer offers the frames for these packs for sale anymore since they got redesigned.

I emailed Kuiu to see if the frame was at all available or if the new frame was compatible and after the initial "we don't sell that anymore, but you can buy our shiny new improved frame with a new pack for a gazillion dollars and have it just in time for it to become obsoleted by a new pack" response, I responded letting them know how unhappy it that makes me since I bought the pack with the upgrade ability in mind.

A couple days later I get a response and they magically found a frame collecting dust in the warehouse that they would happily sell me at full retail. I respond asking for a discount since, well, it's just collecting dust in a warehouse. They respond basically with "take it or leave it".

I'm unsure what to do at this point. I like the pack, it's lightweight and fits enough stuff so I don't bring too much crap with me. I would like a pack with a load shelf though for packing out meat. I had bought the pack with the intention of upgrading when the funds became available, but this is now my third experience with Kuiu that hasn't left me with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Pros:
The frame is available and the price is still less than buying a new Exo, Kifaru or Stone Glacier.
It would likely function great for me and do everything I want it to.

Cons:
I don't particularly like giving money to companies that couldn't really give a shit about my existence. Their holier-than-though attitude lately has rubbed me the wrong way.

I could probably sell the pack to put towards a new Exo, Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I'm also currently unemployed, so any extra money spent on this stuff goes on the credit card and every bit I can save, the better.

Thoughts? I hope it doesn't sound too much like I'm bashing Kuiu (which I understand I kinda am, but I also think I have a legitimate beef).

You TOTALLY have a legit beef - I won't advise you on finances, but from a gear standpoint, I'd dump that thing. KUIU hasn't impressed me at all with their marketing of packs - they released the Ultra, and a couple months later released the ICON PRO. I think they did it to get guys to buy both. Note they didn't actually say anything about a new Pro coming when the Ultra was released, it was all about that new frame. That rubbed me, and others from what I've read, the wrong way. Testing something upfront so you don't obsolete it quickly down the road shows a company cares about the customer. I noticed the Kifaru catalog had the "we will never obsolete" statement about their bags and comparability, which is just plain awesome. That's how to do it. I believe Stone Glacier also hasn't changed their frame since release. IF Mystery Ranch ever releases a hunting specific platform, it'll be interesting to see if they maintain backwards compatibility.

I've used the Kuiu Ultra system with heavy loads - I'd look elsewhere. Call Stone Glacier if you want to know what real customer service is like. I can't comment on Kifaru or Exo as far as customer service goes, but plenty of dudes will tell you they're legit.

tttoadman

WKR
Get a frame from SG EXO or Kifaru and run drybag mode this year if you have to. We spend too much money on our gear to not have compatibility/modularity. I found a "really" old duplex frame and just put a brand new Kifaru bag on it. The kifaru guys even made me some loose straps to make the older frame a little more useful. I have had the same great service from Stone Glacier as well.

Based on their take it or leave it response I would leave it. Sell the 1850 and move on. The frame they are trying to sell is known for breaking and is obsolete since a new frame is now offered.

At the least they could of offered you the 1800 ultra with frame for the price of a new frame.

Exactly!!!

OP
N

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to kiss this thing goodbye, bite the bullet and buy a Kifaru Ultralight Frame & Suspension to start out with. I've had a Kifaru buttpack thing for several years now that is my go-to scouting/day pack that will go to the grave with me. Maybe I can rig that up to the frame as well somehow to carry the essentials.

Does anyone know if the EXO Load Panel (https://exomountaingear.com/shop/load-panel-beaver-tail/) will mount up to the Kifaru frame? That would save me a bit of money right there as Kifaru wants $140 for their load sling. I'm sure it's worth every penny, but If I can save some of those pennies for now, it would help!

It doesn't look like EXO sells the frame by itself. That with the load sling would be a good option, if available.

Now I just gotta figure out what this Kuiu bag is worth and get it out of my life! :)

Are there any coupon/discounts going on any of these other packs that anyone is willing to share?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to kiss this thing goodbye, but the bullet and buy a Kifaru Ultralight Frame & Suspension to start out with. I've had a Kifaru buttpack thing for several years now that is my go-to scouting/day pack that will go to the grave with me. Maybe I can rig that up to the frame as well somehow to carry the essentials.

Does anyone know if the EXO Load Panel (https://exomountaingear.com/shop/load-panel-beaver-tail/) will mount up to the Kifaru frame? That would save me a bit of money right there as Kifaru wants $140 for their load sling. I'm sure it's worth every penny, but If I can save some of those pennies for now, it would help!

It doesn't look like EXO sells the frame by itself. That with the load sling would be a good option, if available.

Now I just gotta figure out what this Kuiu bag is worth and get it out of my life! :)

Are there any coupon/discounts going on any of these other packs that anyone is willing to share?

I'm pretty sure if you asked Steve he would sell you a frame... They sell bags alone I know that for sure. Steve is a great guy and very helpful!

dotman

WKR
You can mount anything to a kifaru frame, just order the correct components or buckles from mil spec monkey. You can probably use your kuiu bag as a compression panel with the right components. Use an OR 55L dry bag as a camp bag and hold it on with a grab it and lash strap.

mfolch

WKR

For what it's worth, I recently purchased an icon pro 3200, with a 1800 ultra pack as well, because the size and organizational capacity of the two meet most of my needs. Loaded it with 30lbs, got it tuned in and took it for a couple walks with my dog. It seemed to work well enough and suit my needs--and I was thinking of buying the 7200 pack later for long trips. I was just about to sell my bt1 but decided to give it one last try. Loaded it with the same weight and put it on. The difference was remarkable. Actually amazing. The kifaru carried that weight like it was nothing. It felt like I had not ten pounds on my back. Did the same thing: took my dog for a walk. Came back and put the kuiu packs back in the original box and will be returning them tomorrow. Kuiu packs are really smartly designed and look great, but I have tried ten packs in the last two years trying to find something a little sleaker than the bikini, and I keep on returning them and holding on to the kifaru. Now I'm thinking of using the refund to the new duplex frame.

OP
N

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Doing the math of all my options across Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Kifaru, the EXO 3500 is adding up to be a damn good value. I may just sell every pack I own and get that!

I'm going to be doing some 3-4 day Elk and high country deer hunts this year. The 3500 seems like it would be perfect for that. I'd keep my small Kifaru pack for day hunts/scouting/hiking, etc.

The EXO Steve is the same Steve that runs S&S Archery, correct? I've dealt with him before, he's very helpful and has his head and ass wired together. Think he'd take a trade-in on a Kuiu and Eberlestock? :p

OP
N

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider

For what it's worth, I recently purchased an icon pro 3200, with a 1800 ultra pack as well, because the size and organizational capacity of the two meet most of my needs. Loaded it with 30lbs, got it tuned in and took it for a couple walks with my dog. It seemed to work well enough and suit my needs--and I was thinking of buying the 7200 pack later for long trips. I was just about to sell my bt1 but decided to give it one last try. Loaded it with the same weight and put it on. The difference was remarkable. Actually amazing. The kifaru carried that weight like it was nothing. It felt like I had not ten pounds on my back. Did the same thing: took my dog for a walk. Came back and put the kuiu packs back in the original box and will be returning them tomorrow. Kuiu packs are really smartly designed and look great, but I have tried ten packs in the last two years trying to find something a little sleaker than the bikini, and I keep on returning them and holding on to the kifaru. Now I'm thinking of using the refund to the new duplex frame.

I've loaded my 1850 with 20lbs of cat litter. I can't say it was comfortable, but it did mostly work. There was some creaking of the velcro for the shoulder straps. I like it as a daypack, but I already have a Kifaru I like more as a daypack. For hauling out a deer or elk quarters, it's just not going to cut it without the frame.

sojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I'd suggest just keeping the bag and putting it on whatever frame you get. It's nicely laid out day pack and you can always put a dry sack between the bag and frame for longer trips. You can save some money this way.

Doing the math of all my options across Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Kifaru, the EXO 3500 is adding up to be a damn good value. I may just sell every pack I own and get that!

I'm going to be doing some 3-4 day Elk and high country deer hunts this year. The 3500 seems like it would be perfect for that. I'd keep my small Kifaru pack for day hunts/scouting/hiking, etc.

The EXO Steve is the same Steve that runs S&S Archery, correct? I've dealt with him before, he's very helpful and has his head and ass wired together. Think he'd take a trade-in on a Kuiu and Eberlestock? :p

Yup same guy... stand up guy for sure.

You will love the pack... went 5 miles the other night with it out chasing bears, and it is pretty much the only pack I have tried where I got back to the truck and was like "oh... guess I had a pack on all night didn't I?"

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
That 1850 you have should sell pretty fast as guys are always looking for them without the frame. You'll probably get close to what you paid too. I'd seriously look at Stone Glacier if you like having a load shelf. I've been considering the Serac and using a dry bag in the shelf.

LJ Buck

WKR
Sell it and go with something else. I have a Stone Glacier and love it. I tried the EXO and really liked the bag but my Stone Glacier is noticeable more comfortable. Returned the EXO. I am waiting on the new Duplex and am pumped. Not sure why i keep buying more packs because I truly love my Stone Glacier. Anyone trying packs out be sure to but 80+ pounds in it and hike a bit with it. Most all packs handle 30-45 pounds just fine but once you put in 70+ you will see huge differences in a truly good pack

OP
N

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Sell it and go with something else. I have a Stone Glacier and love it. I tried the EXO and really liked the bag but my Stone Glacier is noticeable more comfortable. Returned the EXO. I am waiting on the new Duplex and am pumped. Not sure why i keep buying more packs because I truly love my Stone Glacier. Anyone trying packs out be sure to but 80+ pounds in it and hike a bit with it. Most all packs handle 30-45 pounds just fine but once you put in 70+ you will see huge differences in a truly good pack

Would you mind expanding on what you didn't like about the EXO? I'm still not 100% on which of the 3 I'm going with, so any info helps.