Best Elk Hunting Boots With Minimal Break-In For Early Oct. Elk Hunt

had a mid sole blow out on my hanwags yukons, and leave Sunday for sheep hunt. I have a pair of hanwag alaska 100 year/pro I picked up few months back, but no way I can get them broken in time, been busy hadnt had time to break them in.

ran to scheels grabbed a pair of briksdal MTN. I walked 10 miles and was content. They aren't leather so not a hard break in. Also not being overly very stiff helps.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
had a mid sole blow out on my hanwags yukons, and leave Sunday for sheep hunt. I have a pair of hanwag alaska 100 year/pro I picked up few months back, but no way I can get them broken in time, been busy hadnt had time to break them in.

ran to scheels grabbed a pair of briksdal MTN. I walked 10 miles and was content. They aren't leather so not a hard break in. Also not being overly very stiff helps.
I picked up a pair of the Briksdal MTN this year and have been really impressed. The Colorados are my favorite, but I like these as they’re a little less stiff. Good luck on your sheep hunt!

VEDO

FNG
Anyone tried the crispi altitude gtx? Never had crispis but jeez everyone is raving about em and that model is the one that interest me for a fair weather, early season, everyday kind of boot. Wish they didn't plaster their name over every inch of the boot tho.

DCPat

FNG
Our Timberline or Beartooth for sure. beartooth is a little stiffer, little more break in time. But either is a solid choice. A good friend of mine when on an ibex hunt a few years back. Got some brand new beartooths, took them out of the box and put them in a suitcase. Didn't wear them at all before leaving... Got back after hunting at 14,000-16,000 for a week and said they were awesome! Super comfortable. Now, i don't recommend doing that... but they are pretty dang comfortable. - matt
Im going on my first Elk hunt in Colorado this year. I drew a tag for rifle during the second week of October, for GMU#59 by cripple creek. I have been going back and forth on what boots I want. I have read multiple reviews. Schnees is top of the list. I’m leaning towards the Beartooth. But I’m not sure on whether to get the NI or the 200g. My feet tend to get cold when sitting still but I also sweat a lot for a 6’0 215 lb guy. I’ve read where the weather can vary. So I don’t know what the best option is. Any thoughts on which would be the better option? Also on the stiffness of the boot. I have two herniated discs, so would you recommend another boot for stiffness? Thank you and I’m a big fan of Rokslide

jmez

WKR
No one can tell you. If you get the correct boot to fit your foot there won't be any break in. If it kinda fits your foot you'll need to " break them in.". If they don't fit your foot, they'll never be "broken in."

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

8grenade

FNG
I’m breaking in a pair of Crispi boots this year for my October trip. Heard good things about them. Too early to give you my review but like them so far.

Anyone tried the crispi altitude gtx? Never had crispis but jeez everyone is raving about em and that model is the one that interest me for a fair weather, early season, everyday kind of boot. Wish they didn't plaster their name over every inch of the boot tho.
I have a pair and they are light. Like the features except ankle support they just don’t have enough ankle support for me and I ended up getting a pair of Zamberlan 1214 Lynx mid GTX. A lot more ankle support. Other than that I don’t have any complaints about the Altitudes

Jon_G

WKR
I haven't read all of the responses you received but asking something like this will get you a million different responses just like I'm sure you've seen by now. I was the type that wanted a lightweight, comfortable boot that was provided the perfect amount of stiffness while not being too heavy as I'm always looking for light footwear no matter the type of activity I'm doing.

Still, I somehow got a new pair of Lowa Tibet gtx for half the msrp and bit the bullet. Is it the perfect boot for everyone? No, as you'll never find that. Did it completely surprise me and provide more comfort and stability than I could have asked for? Most definitely. I was amazed at how heavy they are but never feel that way when you're walking. You can walk through rocks and all kinds of downed tree branches and walk right over them. They are a freaking tank. I don't doubt that I can find another pair just like it or perhaps even better in a different brand. But for now until I wear these out (which I'm sure will be many years from now) I have found the perfect boot for me.

If there are questions I can answer about them feel free to ask. Good luck out there!

Super 91

Lil-Rokslider
I've been trying different high end backcountry boots for 3 years now and all of them, even when starting the break-in in April or May have killed my feet once I hit the high country. It's mainly how the boot fits my foot. That being said, I used to buy the Cabela's Ultra-lite hikers from Meindl but they quit making them. Since I've worn them all out at this point (three years ago) I've tried and tried to find a boot that works for me.

Fast forward to my conversation with Meindl USA. Super friendly guy, knew his product very well, and recommended the size I would NOT have ordered if I had just ordered on-line. I bought the Meindl Comfort Fit Extremes and these are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever put on out of the box. So far I've hiked a couple local trails and they have not given me ANY issues whatsoever. Grip is amazing, stability is awesome. Comfort is out the roof wonderful. Customer service is outstanding, and I plan to pick up a second pair in case I get these soaked one day so I can let them dry and air out. Make no mistake, I'm a tenderfoot but will climb like a mountain goat when I get to Colorado and having footwear that actually fit and perform is an absolute must. My boot searching journey is finally at an end and I could not be more happy with my Meindl's.

OP
M

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Tried the Crispi Thor and Altitude. Good quality but to narrow especially at the toe box. Much like the Italian Asolo’s.
Ordered Hoka Kaha 2 GTX, they fit great but the sole was as hard as 2X4 , no cushioning like their running shoes have. So far the Salomon Quest 4D GTX are a good fit right out of the box. Still looking for a 2nd pair of boots. May give Crispi another try , some of their boots may have a wider toe box. Maybe the Lapponia and Wyoming. Being a size 14 limits shopping locally. Black Ovis has been good about shipping boots back and forth.

update. Manage about 7-9 miles a day with worst being 12. min of 2k elevation gain a day and high of 4.7k. No issues, Boot performed as good as it could for its flex rating. For being in a bind these worked out great, I was missing the stiffness of my hanwags when side hilling but Crispi mtn did fine.

for just an elk boot these would be spot on. With that said I made it through a high country 12-14k ft sheep hunt with no issue but just had more fatigue then normal(for me) on long loose side hilling.

If these fit you well, be hard to pass up. very comfortable and hardy boot

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Im going on my first Elk hunt in Colorado this year. I drew a tag for rifle during the second week of October, for GMU#59 by cripple creek. I have been going back and forth on what boots I want. I have read multiple reviews. Schnees is top of the list. I’m leaning towards the Beartooth. But I’m not sure on whether to get the NI or the 200g. My feet tend to get cold when sitting still but I also sweat a lot for a 6’0 215 lb guy. I’ve read where the weather can vary. So I don’t know what the best option is. Any thoughts on which would be the better option? Also on the stiffness of the boot. I have two herniated discs, so would you recommend another boot for stiffness? Thank you and I’m a big fan of Rokslide

I go uninsulated and just wear thicker socks when needed. When it gets too cold for that, im usually throwing my pac boots on anyway. ha.

As far as stiffness, the beartooth is just a great all around boot. We have folks using them for everything from upland bird to sheep hunting. It's the jack of all trades.

We're also having a pretty epic sale at the moment, and every online order with a pair of our mountain boots gets you entered to win our Hyalite rifle. Ends at the end of this month (aug 2023)

- matt

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I've been trying different high end backcountry boots for 3 years now and all of them, even when starting the break-in in April or May have killed my feet once I hit the high country. It's mainly how the boot fits my foot. That being said, I used to buy the Cabela's Ultra-lite hikers from Meindl but they quit making them. Since I've worn them all out at this point (three years ago) I've tried and tried to find a boot that works for me.

Fast forward to my conversation with Meindl USA. Super friendly guy, knew his product very well, and recommended the size I would NOT have ordered if I had just ordered on-line. I bought the Meindl Comfort Fit Extremes and these are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever put on out of the box. So far I've hiked a couple local trails and they have not given me ANY issues whatsoever. Grip is amazing, stability is awesome. Comfort is out the roof wonderful. Customer service is outstanding, and I plan to pick up a second pair in case I get these soaked one day so I can let them dry and air out. Make no mistake, I'm a tenderfoot but will climb like a mountain goat when I get to Colorado and having footwear that actually fit and perform is an absolute must. My boot searching journey is finally at an end and I could not be more happy with my Meindl's.
Good to know. Did he recommend a size up or down from your normal boot size?

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Rokslide members - use code Rokslide15 at checkout and save 10% off your purchase. Check out the Hoffman Explorer. One of the most comfortable, durable boots you will find. www.hoffmanboots.com

Attachments

• 2 exp.jpg
    2 exp.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 10