Best Elk Hunting Boots With Minimal Break-In For Early Oct. Elk Hunt

Most of the lighter weight non-leather boots are pretty easy to break in right out of the box. Depends on the unit, but most of NM doesn’t require much of a boot

OP
M

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up with two pair after mail ordering and trying 8 pairs of boots. It’s not easy finding shops that carry 14D. The most supportive and solid fit are the Crispi Wyoming. I also got a pair for backup , the Salomon Quest 4 GTX that I also like the fit of . Been going on some shorter hikes the past 3-8 weeks in both pair and the break In has been minimal with no hot spots. Have a little bit of heal slip with my right foot in the Wyoming’s but some lacing adjustment corrects the issue. If I had to only get down to one pair I would choose the Wyoming’s, I like them better than my last two pair of Asolo’s.

manitou1

WKR
I must have gotten a bad pair of Soloman Quest 4D boots. They literally hurt my feet just putting them on! The worst boot I ever put on my feet. I sent them back.

Maybe I need to try another pair.

Meindls and Schnees have good reputations for little to no break in.

Meindls have been very comfortable right off the bat for me.

My Crispi Colorados are very comfortable also but provide less ankle and foot support. They are more suited for trail walks than heavy mountain hunting in blow down, rock and scree.

I recently picked up a pair of Hoffman Explorers. They were brutal the first few hunts (lots of terrain variances and altitude changes). The seam between the lower and upper tongue where it folds was a bit stubborn.
Once broke in they are very nice and provide outstanding ankle support for me.

Meindl Vacuum Hunters took hardly any time to break in and are super comfortable, but they do not offer the ankle support my Zamberlains or Hoffmans do.

The Meindls do, IMO, offer adequate support for 80%+ of my hunting and are a pleasure to wear. Outstanding customer service to boot (pun intended😁)

Last edited:
No break in needed for my Quest 4's. After 200 miles or so they were no longer waterproof. Otherwise, still solid for early season use.

Milzie

FNG
For fast and light day hunting use, high top crispi attiva’s have been my favorite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I bought the Meindl Vakuum hikers for my mule deer and antelope hunt, broke them in with about 5 miles of outdoor hiking and then 3 straight 1 hour sessions on the treadmill walking at 10-12% inclines.
Put about 20 miles on them in Wyoming and didn't have a single blister or hot spot.
Very pleased with them.