Best Field Tripod for Hunting - Want to Upgrade

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to get a good packable tri-pod for shooting off of while hunting. Possibly duel use with binos/spotter but packability and shooting will be priority. I’m looking at the Sirui carbon fiber models. I plan on installing a clamp type head on it to attached the rifle. Weight and packability are important so I don’t want a real beefy, larger model but something still adequately stable for shooting off while prone, sitting, or kneeling. I don’t need standing height, kneeling would be fine, and would like it to go as low as prone if possible.

I’ve used a Bog Gear TAC-3S tripod for years with a custom clamp head on it that has worked well for hunting. Closed length of 22” and 42” extended height. I just want something a little more stable and a better overall quality set up.

I know Sirui makes a lot of different models all the way from small travel tripods to large heavy video equipment tripods. I like how their new ST-124 and ST-125 models fold up so compact but I’m not sure how well they would work to shoot from??

Does anybody have any experience shooting from Sirui tripods? Any specific model recommendations?

Thanks!

WKR

WKR
I just switched over from sirui to the two vets tripod and ball head. I havent used it yet so I can't give a review but check them out. I went with the 55mm ball head and the ruck tripod.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I'll check them out. The Ultralight TFC-24 or TFC-33 by Really Right Stuff looks pretty awesome but a bit out of my price range for a tripod.

WKR

WKR
I was looking at the rrs anvil 30 and rrs tripods but yeah I didn't want to spend $1000 either. Ended up spending half of that with two vets

The Leofoto SA-324C+MA-30L head is what I settled on after researching this quite a lot. It is basically the Leofoto version of the RRS TFCT 24 w/ Anvil 30 ballhead. It’s 4 lbs and cost me $416 new on EBay. It’s obviously not the same quality as a RRS, but it’s a good way to get into a high quality shooting tripod at a 1/4 of the cost basically. I plan on removing two lower leg sections and capping off for mountain hunting use, which will give me a very stable, kneeling height, tripod that weighs just a bit over 3 lbs.

Last edited:
OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I just switched over from sirui to the two vets tripod and ball head. I havent used it yet so I can't give a review but check them out. I went with the 55mm ball head and the ruck tripod.
Why did you switch out from the Sirui tripod?

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
The Leofoto SA-324C+MA-30L head is what I settled on after researching this quite a lot. It is basically the Leofoto version of the RRS TFCT 24 w/ Anvil 30 ballhead. It’s 4 lbs and cost me $416 new on EBay. It’s obviously not the same quality as a RRS, but it’s a good way to get into a high quality shooting tripod at a 1/4 of the cost basically. I plan on removing two lower leg sections and capping off for mountain hunting use, which will give me a very stable, kneeling height, tripod that weighs just a bit over 3 lbs.

Great info. Thanks! Did you consider Sirui tripods?

I thought about removing leg sections as well. Nice to know you can do that with the Leofoto.

Leofoto makes a very nice ball head as well. I didn't even know they made a clamp style head like the MA-30L. I'll definitely check them out.

Great info, thanks again.

Last edited:

Buddha

FNG
I really like your Leofoto SA-324C+MA-30L head setup B Reynolds, and I would go that route if I didn't already have a carbon fiber tripod and ball head. Taking the lower legs off is a great idea: I did it on my promaster and it worked out well.

“Did you consider Sirui tripods?”

No. I wanted a RRS tripod with integrated Anvil, but between availability issues and not entirely sure the setup would be ideal for my uses, I went with the Leofoto version, atleast to begin with.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
“Did you consider Sirui tripods?”

No. I wanted a RRS tripod with integrated Anvil, but between availability issues and not entirely sure the setup would be ideal for my uses, I went with the Leofoto version, atleast to begin with.
Sounds good. I wonder how Sirui quality compares to Leofoto at least as far as the tripod goes??

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on removing two lower leg sections and capping off for mountain hunting use, which will give me a very stable, kneeling height, tripod that weighs just a bit over 3 lbs.
How do you "cap" them off? Just something you do yourself or does Leofoto make caps that you can purchase and install? Thanks.

Rt80c seems like the bargain way to go. Personally I always have crap luck with mid grade products of every type, so if not the rt80c then I would keep saving for a rrs.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
how do you guys like those tripod with no center post?
I’ve gotten used to it and like the stability from larger dia legs, and how compact it folds. I run a leofoto ranger ls-284c, which I would say is smallest I would want for glassing/rifle. It has a removable center column that screws onto the apex but I never really use it. Can’t stand and shoot with it, but nice and light on the pack. I just use a ball head since it has a panning base, works well for glassing. The 324 size is better in just about every way to support shooting, just heavier.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to order a innorel rt80c soon. It looks like a knock off of a knock off RRS. Has good reviews though, so I’m okay with burning a little cash on a maybe.
I'll check that one out, thanks!

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve gotten used to it and like the stability from larger dia legs, and how compact it folds. I run a leofoto ranger ls-284c, which I would say is smallest I would want for glassing/rifle. It has a removable center column that screws onto the apex but I never really use it. Can’t stand and shoot with it, but nice and light on the pack. I just use a ball head since it has a panning base, works well for glassing. The 324 size is better in just about every way to support shooting, just heavier.
Leofoto also offers some "dedicated" rifle tripods in addition to their many other lines, one of which is their LS Ranger line. Not sure what the differences are???

What model head do you use on yours?