Best Field Tripod for Hunting - Want to Upgrade

Rt80c seems like the bargain way to go. Personally I always have crap luck with mid grade products of every type, so if not the rt80c then I would keep saving for a rrs.
I have an RT90C that I use truck hunting. Overall it's fine for what it is. Comparing it to other tripods there are a few things I dislike. I have to give slightly more twist to unlock and lock the legs than other tripods. If going from sitting to standing it is a little annoying. I had to tear the entire thing down and clean/lube it. Going from -10 to the cab of the truck or vise versa, if I twisted the leg locks in the cold the legs were loose when it warmed up. After cleaning/lubing everything it fixed that.

As for durability I've seen zero issues.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Leofoto also offers some "dedicated" rifle tripods in addition to their many other lines, one of which is their LS Ranger line. Not sure what the differences are???

What model head do you use on yours?
BH-30

I’m not sure what’s different spec wise between the shooting tripods they offer and the rangers.

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I have an RT90C that I use truck hunting. Overall it's fine for what it is. Comparing it to other tripods there are a few things I dislike. I have to give slightly more twist to unlock and lock the legs than other tripods. If going from sitting to standing it is a little annoying. I had to tear the entire thing down and clean/lube it. Going from -10 to the cab of the truck or vise versa, if I twisted the leg locks in the cold the legs were loose when it warmed up. After cleaning/lubing everything it fixed that.

As for durability I've seen zero issues.
Great info. Thanks for sharing!

The Leofoto SA-324C+MA-30L head is what I settled on after researching this quite a lot. It is basically the Leofoto version of the RRS TFCT 24 w/ Anvil 30 ballhead. It’s 4 lbs and cost me $416 new on EBay. It’s obviously not the same quality as a RRS, but it’s a good way to get into a high quality shooting tripod at a 1/4 of the cost basically. I plan on removing two lower leg sections and capping off for mountain hunting use, which will give me a very stable, kneeling height, tripod that weighs just a bit over 3 lbs.

Will this be your sheep hunting tripod too?

I ask because I’ve been admiring your ultralite sheep kits for quite some time and find it interesting you’d consider bringing 3+lb tripod.

JakeSCH

WKR
I've been on a tricer bandwagen recently so you can take this with a grain of salt, but I got to check out their new AD and BC tripods at a local NWTF event.

It has inverted legs so the largest legs on are the ground and thinnest legs are near the top which made it feel surprising stiff for its weight class at just over 2 lb.

I have a pre-order in, suppose to be shipping mid to end of May and I hope I get it before my bear hunt but if not I will be testing it this fall. If I like it, I will be selling my slik 634.

Will this be your sheep hunting tripod too?

I ask because I’ve been admiring your ultralite sheep kits for quite some time and find it interesting you’d consider bringing 3+lb tripod.
I find it interesting too!
Seriously, I evaluate everything carefully and reference each item in relation to how effective it may or may not make me in regards to success on a hunt.
Nearly every shot opportunity I’ve had while sheep hunting would have been improved by being able to shoot from a tripod.
Also I’ve moved to a Kowa 883 spotter and could use more stability. I’ll take this one LB weight penalty for the much improved shooting ability, plus I won’t have to carry a bipod, which rarely has been effective in the terrain I’m normally in.
3 lbs 5 oz for the Leofoto 324 and Anvil clone head with the lower legs removed & capped off. It remains just tall enough for me to shoot standing from.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
I use a Slik 624 or 634 with an Outdoorsmans head and rifle rest. I like it for glassing or shooting. I've shot from it sitting, kneeling, and standing.

I find it interesting too!
Seriously, I evaluate everything carefully and reference each item in relation to how effective it may or may not make me in regards to success on a hunt.
Nearly every shot opportunity I’ve had while sheep hunting would have been improved by being able to shoot from a tripod.
Also I’ve moved to a Kowa 883 spotter and could use more stability. I’ll take this one LB weight penalty for the much improved shooting ability, plus I won’t have to carry a bipod, which rarely has been effective in the terrain I’m normally in.
3 lbs 5 oz for the Leofoto 324 and Anvil clone head with the lower legs removed & capped off. It remains just tall enough for me to shoot standing from.
Thanks for taking the time to layout the context and reasoning. Much appreciated!

The 883 is badass, you’re going to love it (I’m also surprised you’re going to carry that LOL)!

OP
I

Ivory

Lil-Rokslider
I've been on a tricer bandwagen recently so you can take this with a grain of salt, but I got to check out their new AD and BC tripods at a local NWTF event.

It has inverted legs so the largest legs on are the ground and thinnest legs are near the top which made it feel surprising stiff for its weight class at just over 2 lb.

I have a pre-order in, suppose to be shipping mid to end of May and I hope I get it before my bear hunt but if not I will be testing it this fall. If I like it, I will be selling my slik 634.
Never heard of Tricer before. I'll have to check them out. Thank you!

HuntnPack

WKR
The Leofoto SA-324C+MA-30L head is what I settled on after researching this quite a lot. It is basically the Leofoto version of the RRS TFCT 24 w/ Anvil 30 ballhead. It’s 4 lbs and cost me $416 new on EBay. It’s obviously not the same quality as a RRS, but it’s a good way to get into a high quality shooting tripod at a 1/4 of the cost basically. I plan on removing two lower leg sections and capping off for mountain hunting use, which will give me a very stable, kneeling height, tripod that weighs just a bit over 3 lbs.

I have the same Leofoto on order.
I was going to try the same leg removal idea,
Good to know it works for you.
It’ll make a good backcountry tripod.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you considered the Spartan Ascent? One of the lightest options, doubles as trekking poles, switch between optics and rifle in seconds, legs interchangeable with bipod legs, etc. There are some good reviews on rokslide. Personally watched shots made out to 1600 yards on it at a shooting school. It will handle a few hundred pounds hanging on it, and take one has taken up to 16,000 rounds from a 50 BMG so far no issues.

377154255_328678579517851_9093081436067973438_n.jpg

Last edited:

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
What did you decide on? I just bought a Sirui. Looking at the video reviews and all they seem to be pretty solid choice. I found a pretty good deal with one so I'm going to try my luck. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I have been very please with my Feisol 3342 with long spike feet and RRS UA Leveling base. Weighs 3lb 10.4 oz. Can shoot standing with good success, (obviously not as stable a a larger leg tripod). Much sturdier than my buddies little Shockey stick tripods which I find about useless. The longer spike feet have made a bid difference in anchoring the tripod, highly recommend.

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider

How has this setup performed for you this year? I recently left/lost my cheapy bogpod tripod in the field and am in the market. It worked just fine and I was able to make lethal shots out to 400 with it, but the intrigue of the multipurpose tripod has me thinking hard about a glassing/shooting setup. The price is right compared with all the other suggestions out there. I am coming from a slik 634 for my glassing setup, but I’ll be honest I don’t enjoy using my ATS 80 off of it. Do you feel the Leofoto will see years of use or do you think you eventually move on to a model like the RRS or other similarly priced alternatives? It’s bothering me that I’d even consider buying another tripod after owning a couple aluminum tripods (vortex and slik) and now my carbon slik, but the shootability of these newer style tripods is making me question everything. I just want to cry once!