Best Gear...... what is yours??

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
Pack: Barney's Freighter Frame with Hunter Bag. Looking to upgrade to Yukon bag, need more room!!!

Sleeping Bag: Wiggy's Glacier Hunter

Pad: NeoAir XLite

Tent(s): Hilleberg Unna for solo hunts. Terra Nova Superlite Quasar for two person hunts.

Boots: Koflach Degres

Clothing: Anything in solid colors and not named Sitka or Kuiu, those are for the kool aide drinkers.
I am becoming anti-camo in my old age.

Stove: MSR PocketRocket for solo hunts, Jet Boil for two person hunts.

Optics: Zeiss Victory 10x25 compact bino's, Swarovski STM 80hd spotting scope.

Rifle: Remington Model 7 .300SAUM

Bullets: 168 TSX handloads

Pack - Jansport
Shelter - Coleman Red Canyon
Sleeping Pad - Coleman air mattress
Boots - Muck's or Converse depending on the weather/terrain
Cooking - Coleman two burner stove or Camp fire, usually dutch oven style
Optic - Tasco

I know what you all are thinking.... and yes.... She's a bit heavy.

Last edited:
Pack - Kifaru T2
Shelter - Kifaru Megatarp
Sleeping Pad - Exped UL7
Boots - Kennetrek Mountain Extreme
Cooking - Jetboil Sol
Optic - Vortex Viper

Pack - MR Dragon Slayer (Got a kuiu Icon 1850 on pre order though. Planning to sell off my MR Dragonslayer and Saddle peak. Im very torn about this! Anyone intersted in buying either? Both in foliage and top notch condition...)

Shelter (On my list to purchase in the next few months, but optics are sucking my funds. Looking at SL5)

Sleeping Pad - Big Agnes IAC and Lost Ranger Bag, Grand Trunk pillow

Boots - Keen Ericksons/Siskiyou

Cooking Device - Snow Peak Giga Auto & 700ti pot

Optic - Viper HD 10x42, Minox MD50 (Have a Vortex Razor HD 65 on preorder)

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Pack- KU3700 (or G2 Longhunter guide depending)

Shelter- Homemade tarp (or Kifaru 12 man and large stove if big pimpin' out of a base camp)

Sleeping Pad- Zlite

Bag- Marmot Helium

Boots- Meindl Alaskan Hunter

Stove- Snowpeak Litemax

Optic- Nikon Monarch 10x42 (work well but have never tried Swaro EL's)

Nothing on order yet. thinking about that Kryptek Borealis puffy though.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I am constantly upgrading everything. I have been like that for years!

The one thing I haven't upgraded though, and I have had it for something like 8 years, is my original non-ARC Bushnell Elite 1500 rangefinder. It is big, blocky, ugly, and has sub-par optical performance, but oh will it range stuff accurately near and far. Still going strong. I can still get 2000 yard readings on trees.

Rangefinders have advanced a lot though, and I may need to look into something smaller, lighter, and better featured.

you got a freak rangefinder, I dont blame you one big for keeping it! I dont really even want a rangefinder that compensates for angle, thats what my ballistic computer is for.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
you got a freak rangefinder, I dont blame you one big for keeping it! I dont really even want a rangefinder that compensates for angle, thats what my ballistic computer is for.

I don't think its a freak actually. The Elite 1500 has a reputation for reliably providing long readings. My hunting partner bought one after using mine, and his is just as good. Avery might have one too, if I remember correctly.

Wrongside

WKR

Mine is the same as BB's, when conditions are right, it'll range well beyond 1500. It's well used, the paint's rubbed off, and sometimes I think about getting a newer/better one... but the old Elite just works too well.

Last edited:

Easton

FNG
Pack-Barney's Yukon Pack
Shelter- MH skyledge 3 and BA Fly Creak UL 2
Sleeping bag- Marmot Helium
Sleeping pad- Exped UL 7
Boots- Koflach Degres
Cooking- Brunton Raptor stove
Optic- Leica Ultravid 10x42

I don't think its a freak actually. The Elite 1500 has a reputation for reliably providing long readings. My hunting partner bought one after using mine, and his is just as good. Avery might have one too, if I remember correctly.

The 1500 was an excellent unit. My old mans was one of the first ones off the production line, and its still going strong.

Im hoping the 1600 ARC's are too. Ive only had it a year, and it flat out amazes what it will range (right up there with Leica and Zeiss as far as ranging capability). And for half the cost.

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive avoided this topic since it was posted, though Ive tried replying to it several times. Every time I start trying to come up with what I consider the best I end up endlessly debating inside my head then windup deleting my reply. I really have a hard time calling any of my gear "the best". Sure I have alot of nice gear, I have gear/clothes that come with me on almost EVERY trip... but then I also have like 7 packs, each one being what I consider the best for different missions.
I wear different footwear for each season/type of outing.
My cook set is far from the "best" (in fact my partners usually offer to bring the cook set because they hate mine) but its light, it makes water boil and its worked for like 8 years.
My old 1/2" foam pad that I cut down to a 3/4 length for weight savings and has that big burn hole in it from the time I put too hot of a "hot rock" in my bag, has been keeping me just barely off the ground for... honestly as long as I can remember.

The gear that generally makes the cut for each trip is stuff that has proven itself to me over time. Ive got a few new pieces of gear that will be vying for a spot in my pack over the next several months but they will need to be proven before they get chosen over my old reliable, maybe not the "best" current top picks.

Probally not what youre looking for but... at least Im finally replying to the topic.

Rowdy

FNG
Pack - Dan Mchale (6th Season) Would like to get another with some changes pretty much "how I'd do it differently the next time" nothing wrong with current pack though just as bomber as day one.
Shelter - Hilleberg Unna (5th Season) Probably replace soon as it's seen alot of miles and it's starting to show some wear.
Bag - Integral Designs 20 & 0 degree bags both have been pretty good 7-8 years on each wouldn't mind trying a different bag someday with new down that's coming out.
Pad - Thermarest NeoAir I've had a couple of these, my 2 boys seem to highgrade certain items from me every now and again this is one of the items.
Boots - LaSportiva Nepals (4th Season) These have been great boots, comfortable and durable resoled once would like to replace soon.
Cooking - Jetboil 7 years on the first one, dented and abused but still works great never have had to replace the ignitor. Just purchased a second one last fall.
Optics - Meopta 20-60x 2 years on this scope, previous Meopta 15-45x spotter I bought used and had it for 7-8 years both were and are great. Binos - Burris Signature Series 10x40 they've been pretty good much better than the B&L 1970 "Featherlight" pair that I've toted around for 20 some odd years.

Writing this out makes me realize just how much I need/want to upgrade or renew some of my gear. Some of it I wouldn't change brand or model, others I'd like to upgrade for something better but all in all this is what works for me and my uses and all of it's proven solid. With twin 17 year old sons who I like to have accompany me my priorities of having the latest, greatest, and lightest have somewhat been pushed to the wayside while trying to help them get a start with good gear.

jcodyc40

Lil-Rokslider
Pack- Eberlestock Blue Widow
Shelter- Kelty Gunnison 3.1, I deal with the 6 lbs because I couldn't pass up the deal on a good tent, $45 brand new.
Bag- Alps Clearwater
Pad- BA insulated aircore
Boot- Crispi Kanada, insane comfort and support
Cooking- MSR Microrocket w/ stanley stainless steal mug
Optics- Nikon Monarch 10X42, Vortex skyline 80 ED.

I know there are areas I could upgrade but everything works really well for me. I just with my old Army extreme cold weather bag wasn't the size and weight of an elk quarter, I still think it is the warmest sleeping bag I have ever used.

Cody

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pack - Dan Mchale (6th Season) Would like to get another with some changes pretty much "how I'd do it differently the next time" nothing wrong with current pack though just as bomber as day one.

I have a custom McHale that's 18 years old Rowdy - That thing is bomb-proof and is awesome under HEAVY loads. I credit that pack with destroying my knees. It's been to the top of the highest peaks in OR, WA, and ID and hauled literally tons of meat. I still use it for hauling bear bait and for backpacking. Probably would use it more for hunting still if it were camo.

DeepMauka

Lil-Rokslider
Pack - Jansport
Shelter - Coleman Red Canyon
Sleeping Pad - Coleman air mattress
Boots - Muck's or Converse depending on the weather/terrain
Cooking - Coleman two burner stove or Camp fire, usually dutch oven style
Optic - Tasco

I know what you all are thinking.... and yes.... She's a bit heavy.
Finally a gear list that won't cause you to eat peanut butter and banana sandwiches for an uncomfortable amount of time!

AndyB

WKR
Pack. Kuiu 5200, after initial fitting and fiddling very happy.(nothing over 30lb in it yet)
Shelter. Terra nova zephyros 1 lite
Bag . Marmot Helium. A little hot for me Colorado Archery, ended up just using it like a blanket.
Pad. Thermarest prolite plus womens,(Higher thermal value than mens) Always had a comfortable nights sleep on this pad after applying silicon for non slip.
Boots. Salomon quest 4 d's. First years use. Lightweight comfortable and water proof up to now (were well tested this year) with decent ankle support.
Cooking. Trangia type alcohol stove, I like it as it I can also burn ezbit or wood with the system.
Optics. Vortex Diamond backs 8x42.

JasonWi

WKR
Pack: DT1 (foliage) I've hauled daypack supplies up to 114#. I have around 4 weeks total time using this pack...training, scouting and hunting.

Shelter: Seek outdoors 3 man tipi for packing (2 years using..don't own a stove yet), Outdoors research unibivy(1 week total time in this, over 3 seasons).

Bag: Marmot Helium (4th year using for backpacking and early fall hunting) and Marmot Lithium (6 days experince so far 20's-35 degrees).

Pad: Big agnes insulated air core or Thermarest NeoAir

Stove: SOTO stove with Jetboil SOL cup (3rd season using, probably 40+ days and no complaints)

Bow: 2008 Hoyt KateraXL 70# 28.5" DL with 340 Axis FMJ or regular Axis arrows. 10 animals killed and keep going strong.

Bow sight: Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg (1st season with this sight base, but same head since 2005) changed to bulletproof pins this year. Nothing wrong with old pins though.

Rifle: Ruger M77, Mcmillan stock, Timney trigger, Zeiss 3-9x40 Z600 scope. 150 TTSX or 160 AB reloads. Hunted with this rifle since 1995, scope only 3 years..but zero complaints. 160 AB's killed 3 bulls, 150 TTSX first year using them..Zero experience yet.

Optics: Swaro 10x42 El's (8 or 9th season using them) Swaro 20-60x65mm STS NON-HD ( 6 or 7th season using).

Clothing: 2005-2007 Sitka camo. Kuiu Chugach top and bottoms and attack pants (second season using these..20 plus days so far)

I figured this would be as good a first post as any for me & serve for a kind of introduction.
I love hunting but don’t get to do near as much as I like. Most is solo & that’s OK with me. I’m in Alaska (Kenai, south central. Wet), & since I don’t have a lot of spare cash most of my hunting is done close to home & on foot. I have taken mule deer with muzzleloader & high powered rifle When I lived in Montana & Oregon) & moose with longbow (Montana) & this year my Marlin Guide Gun in 450. Neither moose was huge but they were tasty. As I said, I love hunting but I’m not a great killer.
53 yrs old (and horribly out of shape), but starting to get serious because my 10yr old son is wanting to get serious. That said…

Pack: Eberlestock JP 9 Blue Widow with Super Spike duffle for a “Day pack” or short trips. Durable, comfortable, & makes the trip out a payload. Barney’s frame pack for serious work with moose. Have strapped Eberlestock on Barneys going in before.

Shelter: SD Clip Flashlight & as my son starts going MH Lightpath 3. I have lots of nights in the SD & have never got wet.

Pad: Thermarest Pro Light 4. Has proven durable & comfy. Little heavy I guess. Bag is a Wiggys. Little heavy/bulky but always works…

Boots: Don’t recall name, but an upper end Cabella’s “mountain” boot. Have held up well, comfy, light.

Cooking: Jet boil Zip. Carry a Summo cup in addition at times (Entire Zip fits inside)

Optics: 8x32 Brunton Eternas. Can’t say enough good about these. Have had many guys with higher priced optics who preferred mine for long glassing sessions. Light & relatively inexpensive.

As I said, not a lot of spare cash so I’m a most bang for the buck guy.Prefer to buy used gear in excellent condition.

Last edited: