Best hunting long range scope

Kc w

FNG
I'm sure this subject has been beat to death but I'm a little new. I'm looking to build a light weight rifle scope combo for longer range hunting. Have the rifle purchased but wondering about best quality glass that is somewhat light. Looking at the leupold mark 5. Any better recommendations to save weight but still have quality low light glass? Looking to stay around 2k. Thanks in advance

OP
K

Kc w

FNG
I'm sure this subject has been beat to death but I'm a little new. I'm looking to build a light weight rifle scope combo for longer range hunting. Have the rifle purchased but wondering about best quality glass that is somewhat light. Looking at the leupold mark 5. Any better recommendations to save weight but still have quality low light glass? Looking to stay around 2k. And ffp. Thanks in advance.

Rather than simply refer you to prior threads, I'll answer your question, KC w. Based on Rockslide feedback, here are the best scopes ever made.

#10,000. Anything by Leupold
#8,245. Anything by Vortex
#5. Schmidt & Bender PMII
#4. Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44
#3. SWFA SS 10X
#2. SWFA HD 3-9X42
#1. SWFA SS 6x42

Marble

WKR
I'm sure this subject has been beat to death but I'm a little new. I'm looking to build a light weight rifle scope combo for longer range hunting. Have the rifle purchased but wondering about best quality glass that is somewhat light. Looking at the leupold mark 5. Any better recommendations to save weight but still have quality low light glass? Looking to stay around 2k. Thanks in advance
When you say longer range hunting, what do you mean by that?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kc w

FNG
When you say longer range hunting, what do you mean by that?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I'm guessing wouldn't shoot past 600 yards very often. Would like good optics for low light conditions though.

logem

FNG
Why worry about a small bit of weight for a med/high end optic?

It's a tiny bit over $2K but you can buy once and not be disappointed, ever, with the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50mm F1. This includes repeatable tracking, clarity, FFP, extreme ruggedness, etc. Best case is to purchase a lightly used new one.

I'm saving to buy one for my 6.5CM for longer range target, varmint, deer.

Last edited:

Swamp Fox

WKR
I wouldn't kick a Mark 5 out of the sheets for eatin' crackers in bed ... They are very sexy scopes for some applications.

All that upper-end magnification isn't going to allow a lot of low light performance, though.

You have a lot of other choices for what I think you're trying to do.

OP
K

Kc w

FNG
I wouldn't kick a Mark 5 out of the sheets for eatin' crackers in bed ... They are very sexy scopes for some applications.

All that upper-end magnification isn't going to allow a lot of low light performance, though.

You have a lot of other choices for what I think you're trying to do.
What would you recommend for low light? Really don't need the high magnification. Is the nightforce nx8 as good for light and clarity? I see one that will go down to 2 power x 50mm

Swamp Fox

WKR
You have fallen into a nest of Nightforce and SWFA vipers here on Rokslide ...

I have zero experience with them.

But I know that if you have $1500-2500 to spend on a scope, you can find plenty of good low-light options, and some of them will be in the lighter-weight and appropriate magnification categories for the distance you want to shoot.

You do realize state agencies are looking pretty hard at things like long range hunting, right? As in making rules against it?

SDHNTR

WKR
I have a Leupold on my Rem 7 Mag.

Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 that I have not put through all the dialing tests yet. It has held 100yd zero through at least 50 rnds of load development.​

How can something be proven to hold zero during load development? By definition, load development means things will change. You can’t test a zero without keeping your load constant.

SDHNTR

WKR
OP, spend $1000 and literally any scope will gather enough light to shoot well past legal hours. You should focus on reliability, imo. The glass on anything you consider will be more than fine.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Rather than simply refer you to prior threads, I'll answer your question, KC w. Based on Rockslide feedback, here are the best scopes ever made.

#10,000. Anything by Leupold
#8,245. Anything by Vortex
#5. Schmidt & Bender PMII
#4. Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44
#3. SWFA SS 10X
#2. SWFA HD 3-9X42
#1. SWFA SS 6x42
You forgot the NXS.