Lightest weight higher end scope

So I know lots of guys on here do not care about optical quality on their scopes, but I do. I think Nightforce glass is average at best unless you go with an ATACR. What is the best compromise of light weight (under 25ish ounces) but still reliable on dialing. I have a Zeiss V6 on another rifle, that fits the bill nicely, but want something different. It has been spot on for dialing on multiple hunts and comes in fairly lightweight. I own a couple SWFA optics and am not really a fan. Really hoping someone knows of a higher end scope that has not popped up on my radar. Pretty sure I am looking for unicorn tears.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
following. I think I want another optic b/c LRP S3 4-25x is fun at the range and long shots, i don't need 25x for hunting and @ 36oz it's just heavy. So far I'm debating between Trijicon Tenmile HX for FFP @ ~22oz or Swaro Z5 SFP @ 15.9oz. Those are about the lightest in the 15-18x magnification that I've found in FFP and SFP. The Trij may not be high enough end for you? I'm not sure I like the Swaro reticle choices on the Z5 though. I am in no rush, want to handle and play with each first vs just buying the one that pops up on sale. I'm looking for 15-18x max and dropping 12oz to just over a pound.

Marshfly

WKR
following. I think I want another optic b/c LRP S3 4-25x is fun at the range and long shots, i don't need 25x for hunting and @ 36oz it's just heavy. So far I'm debating between Trijicon Tenmile HX for FFP @ ~22oz or Swaro Z5 SFP @ 15.9oz. Those are about the lightest in the 15-18x magnification that I've found in FFP and SFP. The Trij may not be high enough end for you? I'm not sure I like the Swaro reticle choices on the Z5 though. I am in no rush, want to handle and play with each first vs just buying the one that pops up on sale. I'm looking for 15-18x max and dropping 12oz to just over a pound.

The z5 has plastic internals. No thanks.

Tenmile is tried and true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
If you want to break the 25oz barrier and have reliability+pretty glass--you pretty much have to accept 9 to 12 power as your top magnification. Of course, then you run into the problem that most scopes with magnification below the 15x threshold seem to have capped turrets.

I do look into this topic a lot, and these scopes seem to always rise to the top of the discussion:
SWFA 3-9HD, 2-10 Credo, 2.5-10 NXS, 3-12 S&B Polar, March 1.5-15

The fact is... even if all of the GOOD scopes out there only weighed 16oz, people would just be asking for 10oz scopes instead
EDIT: Get too light, and eventually you will sacrifice image quality, reliability, or both.

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
Do you want to shoot something with it, or do you want to use it to look at stuff?
I have a Swaro Z6 that lasted under 400 rounds before having issues staying zeroed. I replaced it with an ATACR. The Z6 has a clearer view for sure, but the ATACR always works.

OP
H
Do you want to shoot something with it, or do you want to use it to look at stuff?
I have a Swaro Z6 that lasted under 400 rounds before having issues staying zeroed. I replaced it with an ATACR. The Z6 has a clearer view for sure, but the ATACR always works.
Just look at stuff....

CLP

FNG
March is an awesome scope for this category as long as you stay with a 52mm objective to avoid some of the tight eyebox issues on the 42mm.

I have one particular scope that’s been all over the world and back and I’ve never adusted the zero. It’s been incredibly reliable.

So I know lots of guys on here do not care about optical quality on their scopes, but I do.
Clearly you misunderstand. Sure, we all would like the best glass. But glass quality should never take priority over reliability. It really is that simple.

Since no one makes a combination of the 2, if a scooe is reliable, than glass that is good enough, is good enough. After all, it's an aiming device, not a judging tool.

OP
H
It is comical how some believe good glass and reliability are not to be had in the same scope. It often starts this debate about looking vs. shooting. I have had plenty of scopes and some are optically not pleasant to look thru. Plenty of options out there, just looking for guy's experience with some I have no experience with. Thank you to the guys who have given some suggestions.

March is one I want to get some time behind. Leaning that direction.

It is comical how some believe good glass and reliability are not to be had in the same scope. It often starts this debate about looking vs. shooting. I have had plenty of scopes and some are optically not pleasant to look thru. Plenty of options out there, just looking for guy's experience with some I have no experience with. Thank you to the guys who have given some suggestions.

March is one I want to get some time behind. Leaning that direction.
Have you had your eyes checked, professionally.

kpk

WKR
Try finding a Bushnell LRTS/HS in the 3-12x. I think the glass in it is good and it's never lost zero for me...it's taken some big hits.

I'd also be happy with a scope with coke bottle quality glass as long is it never lost zero. I can't really think of a time when I've spent more than a minute or two looking through my scope at animals.

OP
H
LOL. I get checked every year.... Have to for my profession.. I am not interested in arguing with you, please quit replying if you only want to make silly remarks. Clearly you misunderstand...

Trijicon tenmile is 40% off right now with free shipping

LOL. I get checked every year.... Have to for my profession.. I am not interested in arguing with you, please quit replying if you only want to make silly remarks. Clearly you misunderstand...
Actually, I was providing solid advice.

If you don't actually want such, why ask.

Man you guys are ridiculous. Some people just want nice stuff. That’s not some crime.

No it's not. But I prefer stuff that actually continues to work. Is there anything wrong with that.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I think most glass quality differences are beyond what my 53yr old eyes can detect any longer. It’s more environmental - humidity, mirage or the manual dialing the focus and parallax correctly. As long as it’s a reticle I can see clearly. If there’s a scientific measurement of glass quality, I’m sure there’s a limit to the increments of “better” my eyes can detect.

Last edited: