Best interior barn door kit?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Thanks again, and although brads would be way easier, I agree screws are likely a better long term option. This is the second time this week somebody on here said something out loud I was already considering, but was being a dumba$$ about. This is an awesome place!
I now see you are in Iowa. that being said, rustic is the way to go. We use to make annual trips back to Iowa to hunt for antiques. We picked up a few real nice pieces. This one being our favorite. On the back, previous owners have dated when they owned it. first one was in 1846. We are the 8th owners.Resized_20231108_092030.jpeg

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I now see you are in Iowa. that being said, rustic is the way to go. We use to make annual trips back to Iowa to hunt for antiques. We picked up a few real nice pieces. This one being our favorite. On the back, previous owners have dated when they owned it. first one was in 1846. We are the 8th owners.View attachment 624378
That hutch is awesome and they don't make them like that anymore.

We bought ours from Rustica. It’s been stalled for 4.5 years with no issues. Everything is high quality and the roller hardware is very smooth.

addfeb993248eaef9ec7537dda83c9c8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
I've built a few of them and the biggest PITA is getting the length right. I've had to take a belt sander to the bottom to take off a bit. Probably an easy way to do it but haven't figured it out yet. Also if doing a bypass instead of a single door make sure the depth of the door works for the mounts you get.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I've built a few of them and the biggest PITA is getting the length right. I've had to take a belt sander to the bottom to take off a bit. Probably an easy way to do it but haven't figured it out yet. Also if doing a bypass instead of a single door make sure the depth of the door works for the mounts you get.
Roger that, and our opening is non-standard height, so that makes things more interesting and expensive.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing which was already mentioned. These things are heavy you want to mount the hardware to studs or solid wood. Header boards work but it does potentially push the door out further from the wall then desired. Can wrap the entire door frame in trim the same size to mitigate.

cnelk

WKR
We did a basement remodel job and the homeowner wanted ‘pvc’ barn doors.

Definitely a lighter option but not sure I’d recommend that style

IMG_1923.jpeg

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Quick update, door build is 99% complete. Just gotta touch up cut ends with some stain. All boards are western red cedar 1 x 6 from Menards.

For me, someone who is just learning construction on my own with the help of you guys and YouTube, I’d rank this as a 7/10.

My wife did all the staining and we went with “English chestnut” for the color. After cutting 8’ boards to 93.5”, I clamped together in the middle with a 48” pipe clamp and a couple 2x4 I ripped to 1.75” to butt against the cedar. The boards were mostly straight, but I adjusted the clamp near the ends to draw them tight.

Next I fastened all the trim with 1 3/8” brads and then flipped the door over and screwed the top, bottom, and middle trim pieces from the back to keep the trim side clean. I used 1 1/2” stainless steel screws.

Attachments

• IMG_5411.jpeg
    IMG_5411.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5410.jpeg
    IMG_5410.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 16

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Quick update, door build is 99% complete. Just gotta touch up cut ends with some stain. All boards are western red cedar 1 x 6 from Menards.

For me, someone who is just learning construction on my own with the help of you guys and YouTube, I’d rank this as a 7/10.

My wife did all the staining and we went with “English chestnut” for the color. After cutting 8’ boards to 93.5”, I clamped together in the middle with a 48” pipe clamp and a couple 2x4 I ripped to 1.75” to butt against the cedar. The boards were mostly straight, but I adjusted the clamp near the ends to draw them tight.

Next I fastened all the trim with 1 3/8” brads and then flipped the door over and screwed the top, bottom, and middle trim pieces from the back to keep the trim side clean. I used 1 1/2” stainless steel screws.
Have you picked out the hardware yet?

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
Flat Track is a brand that we sell, very few complaints except from people that don’t really understand what a barn door is and how it is diff than a pocket door.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Have you picked out the hardware yet?
Yeah, I went with the Menards “Forge- Waylon” hardware kit. I know, I know, not the best, but had to compromise on budget for this door. The next one will get better treatment.

This one is a custom size with 93.5” high arched opening. Standard 36” width though. Of course studs didn’t line up with rail holes, and with dry wall covered plaster and lathe, it was a bit challenging. I mounted a 1x6 header board to 5 studs with lags and used the provided wall anchors behind the header board for the provided lag bolts with the kit. It is very solid, and should work okay.

mi650

WKR
Had ours made by Amish out of elm, to match our dining room set & bedroom. I bought the hardware set from Home Depot. Took me several hours to get it hung, just happened to tear a meniscus that morning. :poop: IDK what it weighs, 200 lbs. easy. Definitely 2nd the recommendation to mount it to the studs. Had to have a buddy help me put it up on the track. 52x83, iirc.

7xfphK2.jpg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Here is the final with it hung. We did a little bit different as the front is hung inside the room behind the recessed opening. It has a castle kind of feel to it and I’m super pleased with how it turned out.
Ledger board looks great. Easy way around a stud location issue.

Djruff

FNG
I built mine. I used 1x4 pine boards from Menards. i bought the hardware online (don’t remember where). Crazy thing about it was after I had it installed as the boards were drying out it would randomly make a loud popping sound. Scared the crap out of us when we were sleeping.

Attachments

• B3EC51B5-8136-431B-8FEC-2376B4E0B2C6.jpeg
    B3EC51B5-8136-431B-8FEC-2376B4E0B2C6.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 5

ChrisA

WKR
These are the trolleys and part of the track off an outbuilding that was used for cattle and hay that we tore down on our place. I used reclaimed ship lap from overhead bins of a corn crib and the 1 bys are reclaimed from our old barn, one of which was already reclaimed and repurposed in the barn from who knows where. We love repurposing lumber and hardware, it keeps the memories alive and warm.

Attachments

• 20231125_222824.jpg
    20231125_222824.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 5
OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
These are the trolleys and part of the track off an outbuilding that was used for cattle and hay that we tore down on our place. I used reclaimed ship lap from overhead bins of a corn crib and the 1 bys are reclaimed from our old barn, one of which was already reclaimed and repurposed in the barn from who knows where. We love repurposing lumber and hardware, it keeps the memories alive and warm.
Very cool and that looks like a stout door!