Best Long Range Lead-Free Caliber?

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I have to shoot lead-free ammo this year in California. What caliber is the best for long range hunting for animals up to elk? Also looking to shoot factory ammo. Is bigger and faster simply better in this case, like a 300rum?

elkguide

WKR
I like .30 caliber for everything with whatever bullet. As long as it shoots well, go for it.

I love my .300 RUM.

TauPhi111

WKR
If you're looking for factory ammo only, I'd look to see what Barnes offers in their Vortex LR line. I'm not sure that many other manufacturers load high BC mono bullets in a factory loading. I'd go something 30 cal too. I think they load 300 WM and RUM

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Ya I see they have vortx-lr in 300 rum. What is recoil like compared to a 300wm? Looking at Fierce Firearms rifles.

I’ve shot lead free for years here in California, slugs and .308 Win. If you choose factory ammo, I would suggest buying at least 200-rounds when you find one that shoots good in your rifle. I used to buy a box or two at a time, get my zero and figure out my rifles dope using a cartridge only to never be able to find it again in the store.

My main rifle now is 30 Nosler, and reload Hammer bullets. Nosler’s copper cartridges (E-Tip) loaded at factory are $50+ per box and have to be ordered.

If i were going to do LR and not handload, I think I would go 300 Win Mag. Tons of factory ammo available including copper. The new “must have” cartidge will likely be 300 PRC, you may want to look at that one also because the US Gov’t awarded a pretty big rifle contract using that cartridge. There should be plenty of factory ammo coming out for it.

For my slugs, I have had real good luck with Federal Trophy Copper. For my 308 I have had real good luck with Barnes VOR-TEX Rifle in 150 gr.

If I were going the Long Range Route I would go with their VOR-TEX LR. They have most of the magnum cartidges covered.
http://www.barnesbullets.com/ammunition/vor-tx-lr-rifle/

Sodbuster

WKR
Last year I loaded up some Barnes 175 LRX for my 300 WSM. I did not shoot at the Elk I was after but compared to the 150 grain load I shoot for deer, I am positive it would have worked.
With the mono's, the more velocity the better. It would also depend on the rifle and perceived recoil.
The WSM is pretty sweet.

Doubletap makes loaded ammo with this bullet for the WSM and RUM.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve shot lead free for years here in California, slugs and .308 Win. If you choose factory ammo, I would suggest buying at least 200-rounds when you find one that shoots good in your rifle. I used to buy a box or two at a time, get my zero and figure out my rifles dope using a cartridge only to never be able to find it again in the store.

My main rifle now is 30 Nosler, and reload Hammer bullets. Nosler’s copper cartridges (E-Tip) loaded at factory are $50+ per box and have to be ordered.

If i were going to do LR and not handload, I think I would go 300 Win Mag. Tons of factory ammo available including copper. The new “must have” cartidge will likely be 300 PRC, you may want to look at that one also because the US Gov’t awarded a pretty big rifle contract using that cartridge. There should be plenty of factory ammo coming out for it.

For my slugs, I have had real good luck with Federal Trophy Copper. For my 308 I have had real good luck with Barnes VOR-TEX Rifle in 150 gr.

If I were going the Long Range Route I would go with their VOR-TEX LR. They have most of the magnum cartidges covered.
http://www.barnesbullets.com/ammunition/vor-tx-lr-rifle/

I shoot federal trophy copper 150s in my Kimber Montana .308 and they shoot well but it isn't used as a long range gun.
Ive always liked the 300wm, just looking into the 300rum over 300wm for the increased velocity so it could expand more reliably at long ranges, and 300prc looks nice as long as it catches on with factory ammo and more real world experiences. 30 Nosler looks nice too just not as many factory offerings as I'd like...

elkguide

WKR
As has been said, the .300 Win Mag will likely have the most factory offerings available if you aren't going to handload. I have rifles in most of the available .30 calibers and to me that is truly the "do it all" caliber.

"IF" I could only have one rifle it would be chambered in .300 Win Mag.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I've never shot a 300rum. Is it a pretty noticeable jump in recoil over a 300wm in the same rifle shooting the same weight bullet? I like the added speed but I don't like something I can't shoot well, especially when I am trying to be accurate at long range.

Whatever you choose, I would test it somehow at longer ranges. This was a federal copper bullet found in my wyoming buck, 350ish yard shot with 30-06. I realize it’s not the same caliber you are looking at, but it scared the crap out of me and I will be testing max range on all copper bullets I shoot now. They tend to require more KE to mushroom out nicely, it would seem.ABA30CF1-9F42-4FF9-9D4E-463D495E003B.jpeg

TauPhi111

WKR
Whatever you choose, I would test it somehow at longer ranges. This was a federal copper bullet found in my wyoming buck, 350ish yard shot with 30-06. I realize it’s not the same caliber you are looking at, but it scared the crap out of me and I will be testing max range on all copper bullets I shoot now. They tend to require more KE to mushroom out nicely, it would seem.View attachment 85302

Do you know what kind of copper alloy the Federal bullets are made out of? This is why although I am all about all copper bullets, I'm not a huge fan of bullets like Hornady's GMX, which is made of guilding metal instead of pure copper, of which the guilding metal is much harder and tougher. Barnes and the lathe turned variety are pure copper and tend to do much better at lower velocities. I have never read what the Federal and Nosler copper bullets are made of however.

Do you know what kind of copper alloy the Federal bullets are made out of? This is why although I am all about all copper bullets, I'm not a huge fan of bullets like Hornady's GMX, which is made of guilding metal instead of pure copper, of which the guilding metal is much harder and tougher. Barnes and the lathe turned variety are pure copper and tend to do much better at lower velocities. I have never read what the Federal and Nosler copper bullets are made of however.

They were federal power shok "copper alloy". They were super cheap and shot great groups but terminal performance was...upsetting.

They were federal power shok "copper alloy". They were super cheap and shot great groups but terminal performance was...upsetting.
I’ve seen several copper bullets recovered from deer at Vandenburg AFB that looked like you could reload them. No deformation at all. A lot of times they will shoot through and through.

I’ve seen several copper bullets recovered from deer at Vandenburg AFB that looked like you could reload them. No deformation at all. A lot of times they will shoot through and through.

I think they need a lot of KE to mushroom properly. We pulled a barnes out of a big nasty boar shot at 50 yards with a 7mm mag, and it was a perfect mushroom. Would it mushroom out like that at 500? Doubt it. I saw an add for barnes long range copper or something like that, looked very interesting, but have not looked into it. Im guessing they make them a little more malleable or maybe deeper hollow point so they will mushroom farther out.

I think they need a lot of KE to mushroom properly. We pulled a barnes out of a big nasty boar shot at 50 yards with a 7mm mag, and it was a perfect mushroom. Would it mushroom out like that at 500? Doubt it. I saw an add for barnes long range copper or something like that, looked very interesting, but have not looked into it. Im guessing they make them a little more malleable or maybe deeper hollow point so they will mushroom farther out.
I’ve got a 20 ga sabot slug laying around here somewhere that was a beauty. Perfect flower petals.

I think shot placement will ultimately be key with copper bullets if they don’t have the energy to mushroom. The bullets I mentioned before that showed little or no deformation, like your picture, still killed the deer.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Recoil is not a problem at all with a muzzle brake, you just have to make sure you wear earplugs. I highly suggest the Christensen arms ridgeline in 7mm rem mag or 300 RUM shooting barnes vortx LRX with the side port muzzle brake so you don't get debris in your face every time you shoot. That is the ultimate long range copper bullet setup in my opinion.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
To all-

It is not “kinetic energy” that expands bullets. It is velocity. Having tested, used, and seen quite a few monos shot at long range, none of them reliably give what I or most would consider “good” expansion below 2,200-2,300 FPS. Some of the premier bullet makers would say that the bullet posted above is adaquate.

Until makers come out with truly soft monos, they’re really best kept in the mid 2k impact velocity, and I would be leaning towards the Barnes LRX.

cmahoney

WKR
I still hunt CA every year because I got my lifetime license before I left. I’m in the same boat, I want to load some copper bullets for my 6.5 Creedmoor. From what I’ve read, the bullets like cutting edge are softer because of the manufacturing process and will expand at lower velocities.

I’m going to buy some and see how they do. I know you can’t get many factory loaded options with these bullets but, there are custom ammunition suppliers or a buddy willing to help.

There website says reliable expansion down to 1600 FPS.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/264-6-5mm-120gr-mth-match-tactical-hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk