Best mid layer pant. Puffy or other

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for an insulated layer before my outer. I have first lite furnace but was hoping for something between it and outer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm assuming we're talking about stationary hunting here? Potentially wearing underneath bibs or some other kind of insulated outer layer pant?

KHNC

WKR
Find you a puffy vest. Several companies make them. Just have to choose down or synthetic.

OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm assuming we're talking about stationary hunting here? Potentially wearing underneath bibs or some other kind of insulated outer layer pant?

You are absolutely correct

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
OP
R

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider

No offense but I’m not spending $400 for a
Mid layer. I know you are made in the USA but come on, most puffy pants are below $200

Watch camofire - black ovis down pants are awesome for the price. They were just on there the other day for $138. They are awesome for the price. I definitely get made in USA when I can, but damn. I’ll take these and make a nice donation to Semper fi &USA or Gary Sinise foundation or Folds of Honor or something with my savings.

Pizza Guy

FNG
I would check out Kenai pant from Kuiu. I have the furnace pant. The are very warm. It would have to be below 20° for me to rock this combo of the the Furnace, Kenai, and insulated bibs.

atmat

WKR
If you’re stationary, then go with a puffy from any of the brands. OR makes a cheap one, and they go on sale quite a bit.

If you stationary and not far from the truck and want to treat yourself, maybe check out some heated pants? I’ve got a buddy who uses some that were cheap — he loves them.

I run way too hot to even think about wearing puffy pants while on the go. But I do like a light micro fleece as a mid-layer for hiking if it’s really cold.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
For stationary glassing you'll probably be more happy with something that goes over your existing pant. 1/2 to full zip will allow you to simply pull them over (w/o taking off boots or pants), when you're done, unzip and throw back in your pack- easy peasy.

Because it's an outer layer, I prefer the fabric to have some wind/light precip protection.

The ones I use are no longer made sadly (Nunatak), but I believe the Kifaru ones are similar to what I have

https://kifaru.net/products/lost-park-pants

TN2shot07

WKR
I’m curious about First Lite’s origin pants for this same use, thick enough to walk in and then add your outer layer

4ckb

FNG
While technically from their waterfowl line, check out sitka gradient bibs or pants. Even now, you can find previous years models pretty cheap.