Best Puffy?

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Save yourself some coin. Buy an Eddie Bauer with a hood on it. Spend the savings on some NL pures. It’s all the same chit made in the same Chinese factories. Just might not get as many likes in your hero shots.
Depends. For my style of hunting I doubt I could enjoy my new $3k NL's while shivering in a lesser quality down jacket in sub freezing temps. I sit and glass a lot though, and run cold to boot.

Besides the weird small waist in the Grumman, I really like it. I also have the FL Chamberlain which is probably the warmest jacket I’ve ever worn. Those two seem to cover most weather ranges.

sneaky

"DADDY"
IMO, its too bad there aren’t more choices for a quality down puffy that has a higher denier shell vs the ultra thin on everything.

Every one of my Down jackets has patches of tenacious tape
I think the reason for that is because the heavier fabrics compress the down and you lose loft. That's the reason Nunatak stopped making 70d down gear.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Boys I've been testing a super cheap columbia omniheat synthetic puffy and its currently beating my eddie bauer, sitka aerolite and kelvin lite down, kryptek, amazon basics, and the Patagonia nano puff I'm borrowing.

And it was 35$.

It isn't as packable, but holy moly it's warmer and more durable than all of the above. And the fit is better on me than the others too.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Boys I've been testing a super cheap columbia omniheat synthetic puffy and its currently beating my eddie bauer, sitka aerolite and kelvin lite down, kryptek, amazon basics, and the Patagonia nano puff I'm borrowing.

And it was 35$.

It isn't as packable, but holy moly it's warmer and more durable than all of the above. And the fit is better on me than the others too.
Share a model # or link.

There's 2- my wife got them for me at the Columbia outlet when she was there. A large size powder lite and an xl whiteout. I see them both on Amazon for 60-75$ depending on the color. Quieter exterior than all my other puffies, very very warm and showing no signs of wear with a ton of use. I'm impressed. I never tried columbia but I'd buy more in a heartbeat
Share a model # or link.

With puffys I always look at backpacking or ultralight stuff, Rab or Patagonia are hard to beat but mountain hardwear and eddie bauer have some great options too

dan25

Lil-Rokslider
following. looking at the Rab Neutrino pro and Kings Xkg transition down.

I have Kuiu's Super Down Pro Hooded and am 100% happy with it. When you put it on, it feels like it suctions to your body and is incredibly warm and packable. I wouldn't dare walk through brush with it, though.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Recently acquired a feathered friends down jacket in the classifieds. Here is a photo of the Grumman, Montbell and Feathered Friends. I also have the Kuiu Super Down Pro. Of the 4 Feathered Friends is stacked with down but is shorter than the Montbell so they would be very close in total warmth. The Grumman is warm but simply less down than the other 3. If you want a burner down coat I would look to the Feathered Friends or Montbell. The most packable would be the Grumman or Kuiu. None should be used brush busting not their design.

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpeg
    IMG_0423.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 91

pc3

WKR
I’ve just ordered a “wear on earth” made in NZ puffer for an impending NZ Tahr hunt, I’ll report back on it when I get it

feanor

WKR
Recently acquired a feathered friends down jacket in the classifieds. Here is a photo of the Grumman, Montbell and Feathered Friends. I also have the Kuiu Super Down Pro. Of the 4 Feathered Friends is stacked with down but is shorter than the Montbell so they would be very close in total warmth. The Grumman is warm but simply less down than the other 3. If you want a burner down coat I would look to the Feathered Friends or Montbell. The most packable would be the Grumman or Kuiu. None should be used brush busting not their design.
Another thing to consider is the Montbell pictured there has Velcro cuffs. I love that personally as it means I’ll never have a cuff lose elasticity. But some don’t. Just another thing to consider.