Best Puffy?

I am in the process of finding a down jacket for the backcountry as well. Three jackets that have my interest which you may find compelling…

Rab electron pro
Arcteryx thorium / SV
Montane anti freeze xt

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
The Marmot Highlander Hoodie has been great bang for the buck to me… can often be found for under $150

Bluumoon

WKR
I've had a Rab puffy for a few years now, it was the best down/price ratio I could find a couple years ago. Super warm the shell isn't a tough material, but I'm not busting brush in it.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Personally would not even consider a puffy without a hood.

I'm also in the market for a warmer puffy. Currently have the FL Brooks, Uncompahgre 2.0, and the Sitka Kelvin Down Lite, and I've been cold in all of them when stationary at 30 or below.

The FL Chamberlin, Rab Electron and Neutrino Pro look like a significant step up in warmth... something with 7+ oz of quality down fill I can throw on over everything else and actually be comfortable glassing in those lower temps.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Personally would not even consider a puffy without a hood.

I'm also in the market for a warmer puffy. Currently have the FL Brooks, Uncompahgre 2.0, and the Sitka Kelvin Down Lite, and I've been cold in all of them when stationary at 30 or below.

The FL Chamberlin, Rab Electron and Neutrino Pro look like a significant step up in warmth... something with 7+ oz of quality down fill I can throw on over everything else and actually be comfortable glassing in those lower temps.

My motto…no hood, no good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Not seeing any votes for the grumman. Been wearing the hell out of mine the last week or so and it's amazing. I will say that the outer material has me a little worried, so I've been pairing it with my mountain jacket if i'm gonna risk bumping into something that could snag. That's a bummer to hear about the feather loss. I have the super down pro pants and love that material.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Kifaru LPP. My favorite puffy I’ve ever owned or used. I have the half zip and it’s great with the through kangaroo pouch to keep your hands a little warmer compared to a zipper that cuts the pouch into two pieces. With the cordura fabric on the pouch and elbows for laying on rougher ground, just an awesome design, also like the zip off hood. I used it 2nd season elk in the colorado wilderness at 11,500 ft in single digit weather with wind and snow and it performed extremely well. Also have beaten some sage brush down and not a rip or thread pill or anything.

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Marmot, Patagonia, and Grumman... have used each of them many days/night, Grumman wins in my book.

Another vote for the Kifaru LPP. I recently got the full-zip version and it's gotten a work out in the -5 to -25 temps we've had here in Nebraska over the past week. It's kept me warm and done an impressive job of cutting the wind. So far it's a keeper.

Down- Stone Glacier Grumman

Synthetic- Kifaru Lost Park

Best I’ve found. I have both and I’d be hard pressed to choose which one I like better. Kifaru is heavier but so warm and wind doesn’t stand a chance. SG is weightless and super warm as well. Haven’t really tested it in high winds but it’s saved my butt in extreme cold a couple times as a mid layer under a soft shell.

Last edited:

madcalfe

WKR
I've been running a arcteryx for the last couple years and don't have any complaints.
feathered friends would be another good option.

Cdpp880

WKR
I hate being cold, I went with the first lite Chamberlain and couldn’t be happier. I had a Sitka puffy before it and have used my buddies skre ptarmigan jacket. I like the warmth of the Chamberlan the best. The Skre ptarmigan is pretty close. I have tried on the stone Glacier and think it would
Be pretty good also just never tried it in the cold.

If I was getting a new puffy it would be
Canis Down Jacket,
Stellar ultralight Down Jacket.
Or the Paka jacket.
Currently have the Sitka Kelvin down and it’s great.

Where and how does this Kelvin down fit in your layering system? Thanks

wnelson14

WKR
Where and how does this Kelvin down fit in your layering system? Thanks

I use it Like any static down piece, always in the pack, glassing, around camp, etc. and it’s solid so I use it day to day. Outer fabric Seems to me a little more durable then the Kuiu puffy but by all means not brush busting.

I use it Like any static down piece, always in the pack, glassing, around camp, etc. and it’s solid so I use it day to day. Outer fabric Seems to me a little more durable then the Kuiu puffy but by all means not brush busting.

Thanks! I’m looking for something to wear under my stratus as a good insulation layer when I’m sitting during late November through December here in Nebraska.