Best Puffy?

I own Kuiu, Sitka and a Mountain Hardwear Ghost. Warmest of the 3 without question is the Mountain Handwear Ghost. Next would be Kuiu and then Sitka. Just my opinion/perception.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider

Rokslide turned me on to this and I think it’s awesome…

Rokslide turned me on to this and I think it’s awesome…
How's the sizing on it? And what's the shell feel like?

I have been using the LL Bean 850 down Hooded Jacket for years. Great price and more durable than some of the Ultralight Hunting companies products.

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
How's the sizing on it? And what's the shell feel like?
these decathlon puffies are amazing for their price. I have the MT500, wish i had sized up but i will grab one when they come available in green. 5.2 to 5.6 oz of downfill. I found it warmer than the SG grumman i used to own, and also more durable outer shell. Only downside is the down isnt treated, so when i washed it, it took awhile to dry. So dont get em wet in the back country!

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
these decathlon puffies are amazing for their price. I have the MT500, wish i had sized up but i will grab one when they come available in green. 5.2 to 5.6 oz of downfill. I found it warmer than the SG grumman i used to own, and also more durable outer shell. Only downside is the down isnt treated, so when i washed it, it took awhile to dry. So dont get em wet in the back country!
[/QUOTE

Great to hear about the MT500, I may have to get one of those too…

I received an Origin jacket for Christmas and I love it.

My wife and I both have “Woolcloud” vests from Duckworth and we love them, I would not discount merino wool as a “puffy” insulation.

I see Forloh makes a wool insulated option as well, I don’t own any Forloh yet, but I plan to start acquiring some clothing and gear from them to support made in USA.

I do own a Kuiu Superdown and just not impressed for the price or the made in China factor.

I received an Origin jacket for Christmas and I love it.

My wife and I both have “Woolcloud” vests from Duckworth and we love them, I would not discount merino wool as a “puffy” insulation.

I see Forloh makes a wool insulated option as well, I don’t own any Forloh yet, but I plan to start acquiring some clothing and gear from them to support made in USA.

I do own a Kuiu Superdown and just not impressed for the price or the made in China factor.
How would you compare the woolcloud to the down in terms of warmth? I've been seriously looking at the woolcloud to replace my current down.

How would you compare the woolcloud to the down in terms of warmth? I've been seriously looking at the woolcloud to replace my current down.
I only have the vest right now, so I wouldn’t have a fair comparison. The wool is not as lofty as down, so I think the warmth to weight ratio would favor down. All the down clothing I have rely on baffles to hold the down in place. The woolcloud doesn’t use baffles or quilting. It lays similar between the fabric like the apex synthetic insulation does. Maybe it has some sort of woven type of matting?

I’ve been soaked wet in down and wool before. There are some advantages with wool when wet that I think would apply to the woolcloud.

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
I just did a quick review of about a weeks worth of “cold weather” testing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was set on a hunting puffer but ended up with a Marmot after trying different jackets on. It's crazy warm, light, and gives great range of motion. I love it. Similar to others, it often goes under a light outer shell, especially when still hunting thick timber.

rafiki

FNG
I own Kuiu, Sitka and a Mountain Hardwear Ghost. Warmest of the 3 without question is the Mountain Handwear Ghost. Next would be Kuiu and then Sitka. Just my opinion/perception.
i can second the ghost whisperer. amazing warmth/weight ratio and i find it warmer than my patagonia down sweater which i believe has more down.

are you comparing to the kuiu pro down? that would be impressive and worth knowing given its 5oz of 850 FP down.

IMO it nots not necessary to go with a hunting brand for puffies, some non hunting brands made down jackets just as good or better.

Have owed from FL, Kifaru, and Grumman from SG. They are all good coats and will keep you warm. However, if you backpack hunt at all the SG Grumman is where it Is at. Packs way smaller than the rest. Now, it is also a fragile jacket. However, I never wear it when I’m actually hiking or I would wicked over heat no matter what the temperature was. While you at it get there puffy pants also, absolute game changer!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have a Feathered Friends Helios for about 5 year now and wouldn’t change it.
thanks
Mark
Cannot not recommend this coat any stronger. I tried this coat and it’s literally made for dwarves. It’s the worst cut/shape of any puffy or all time. Terrible hood design as well.

It’s a warm coat with good materials overall. But unwearable in the back country unless you’re child size.

IMO it nots not necessary to go with a hunting brand for puffies, some non hunting brands made down jackets just as good or better.
Just make sure to check with them on fill weight. I ask Eddie Bauer about fill weight of one of their down jackets and it was 4.2 oz, which isn't bad. When I ask which size that was for they said it was the same for all sizes! So the same jacket in a medium is substantially warmer than a 2XL or 3XL.