Best quality rain gear in solid colours?

slatty

WKR
I've gotten by with lightweight rain gear for a few years and it's served me well. I'm planning a few hunts that will need raingear that I have to live in for a few days. Would like some really high quality and durable gear. In general I really like sitka but i'd like to get it in a solid colour. Any advice?

Arc'teryx is the best. It is pricey though. If you want to save some cash look at some of the military surplus goretex on ebay.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had pretty good luck with my OR Foray set. I like solids so I can justify spending the extra money on quality and wearing hunting jackets on casual outings.

junior

WKR
I’ve got a sitka Kodiak jacket and FL SEAK pants and I’ve been super happy with that set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arcteryx Beta AR or SV....the best without question. Plus the warranty.
Outdoor Research Foray.....pretty decent for the price. A good warranty too.

Both available in solids. For better deals on the Arcteryx, look for previous year models. Also check the Outlet store and EBay.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking specifically about Gore-Tex, look for models with Gore-Tex Pro. This fall/winter they're releasing three new versions which should be quite interesting. Each of the three will specialize in one area; rugged, stretch, or breathable.

Personally speaking I haven't had great luck with any two layer Gore-Tex. Look for three as your minimum and shoot for Pro if it's within your budget.

The Arc'teryx mentioned above is all Pro.

Royal7

FNG
Another vote for the first lite SEAK. I’ve had the Sitka and feel the SEAK is much better. The cuffs don’t leak. The pit zips are great. Relatively quiet for that level of protection and breathability.

Hondo

WKR
Ditto on the Outdoor Research Foray Gore-Tex Paclite shell. I have a half dozen or so of rain shells, most of which cost more than the Foray, but none have the venting ability which I value highly as venting is more important than breathability IMO. The TorsoFlo, as OR calls it, is basically a pit-zip that extends all the way down to the waist hem so you can open up that sucker into a glorified poncho and dump the heat away. Outdoor Research also has one of the best warranties and customer service departments in the the business. Mine is solid grey (not current year model) but they have a coyote tan version currently .

I need to get a rain another rain Jacket. My HH is great for mild activity or when you need 100% protection.
Arcteryx Beta AR or SV....the best without question. Plus the warranty.
Outdoor Research Foray.....pretty decent for the price. A good warranty too.

Both available in solids. For better deals on the Arcteryx, look for previous year models. Also check the Outlet store and EBay.
Can you explain about that warranty? I just got a atom AR and probably add a rain jacket from them as it will do double duties for hunting, fishing, and possibly skiing on those wet days.

jpitt777

FNG
Went through this same search a year ago. I went with the Kuiu Chugach. I really only looked at Sitka, Kuiu and FL. Chugach won out and couldn’t be more pleased.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Marmot Minimalist Goretex jacket in solid green and Outdoor Research Foray pants in tan. My new go to hunting rain/snow/wind wear. Works great!

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Marmot Minimalist Goretex jacket in solid green and Outdoor Research Foray pants in tan. My new go to hunting rain/snow/wind wear. Works great!
This is my setup, works great for the money and weight. Love the minimalist in Olive green and regularly use as a wind jacket when I'm sitting still. I've looked at Arctyrex and it looks better, but for September elk I don't need it.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu makes the best rain gear IME for both every day wear and in the field. I have the chugach jacket and the kutana pant. I’m super happy with them. Great waterproofing, durable and packable. I’ve had Arcteryx, Sitka waterfowl stuff, Patagonia, Marmot, and the Kuiu chugach blows them all away. The only other company I’d look at for rain gear is Stone Glacier M5 set.

Kuiu makes the best rain gear IME for both every day wear and in the field. I have the chugach jacket and the kutana pant. I’m super happy with them. Great waterproofing, durable and packable. I’ve had Arcteryx, Sitka waterfowl stuff, Patagonia, Marmot, and the Kuiu chugach blows them all away. The only other company I’d look at for rain gear is Stone Glacier M5 set.
I’m not trying to play devil’s advocate here, but could you give some insight on how the Kuiu “blows the others away”? Arcteryx Beta AR is the gold standard of rain gear in much larger communities than hunting. It uses a 3 layer Gortex Pro, which is the best Gortex they offer in terms of waterproof and breathability. I’m just curious of your thoughts on how’s it’s so much better.

Anybody have any experience with a Helly Hansen Moss anorak or active hybrid jackets?
Or the HH ridge shell pant?