Best Sub $350 Quilt (10*-20* range)

Picked up a Hammock Gear Econ Burrow 0F Wide with 2 oz of overfill a year ago. Cost me about $270. Got to use it last year a couple times down into the teens and I was pretty comfortable. Pad attachment system is kinda junk pretty drafty. Pretty heavy too mine ended up weighing 38oz takes up pretty good real estate in my pack too.

If money isn't tight and you could spare an extra $50-100 I would look at Katabatic Quilts. My buddy has one and its pretty nice. Has a differential cut, basically means if you're an active sleeper you wont compress your loft to the outside of the bag when you move. The pad attachment system is the best from what I can tell uses easy to use/adjust clips that keeps drafts out. They're temp ratings are conservative from what I hear. So a 20 deg bag from them is comparable to another company's 10 deg bag. You can pick up a flex 22 for $375.

That being said you cant go wrong with UGQ Bandit. You can get a comparable bag with the same features minus the differential cut for about $100 less.

Hope this helps, I'm looking at picking up another 30-20 degree quilt right now just have no idea what Montana is like during mid-late September.

Last edited:
Im running a 10 degree Viam xlong/wide this year and im really happy with the quality of it and service from them.

That’s the one I’m pretty sure I’m gonna order after hearing for you guys do you think the 10 is good or wish you went with a 0?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s the one I’m pretty sure I’m gonna order after hearing for you guys do you think the 10 is good or wish you went with a 0?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no experience with the 10 degree, but I was warm around at about 15 degrees at night with my zero degree quilt

I have been researching quilts and looked at CR but they dont list their fill weight that I saw. I would be interested in how cold you have used the quilt and what you were wearing. They claim 19.9oz on a 20 deg quilt. That is quite a bit below other manufacturers and I mean the top of the line companies like Katabatic, Nunatak, War Bonnet. Their 20 deg bags, or similar, are 2 to almost 5 oz heavier. I just dont trust CR on their rating.

12.98 in the regular length, wide 20 degree quilt.

Last edited:
This is what they said when I sent them specs for other similarly priced quilts:

“ We are known for our warm quilts. Any research done on us, and our reputation will show that our customers routinely go below their comfort rating in our quilts and stay warm. All of our quilts come standard with a 20% overstuff. We are also conservative on our fill weights and our down fillpower because we don't want to mislead anyone. Our 850 fill down usually tests between 875 and 900 fillpower. Our reputation for warm quilts is unparalleled.”

I look at my sleep system as a matter of survival and so I not read the quilt menu from right to left. A -10* EE Conendrum with overfill and 6oz Hoodlum may cost twice the price but I know I will be toasty warm and sleep soundly. Once you endure a sleepless night under an inadequate quilt you realize what you'd pay to not be cold. Buy once-cry once. The choice is yours.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I echo the above. I have a Hammockgear economy burrow 20 wide and it worked and it’s been great. I’m from Ohio so makes me feel good to buy locally.
I’d love to hear how your opinion of the temp rating has been for you. I jist picked up a 10* with 2oz overstuff...I sleep cold usually and have seen temps dip down to 25 during archery when I’ve been out.

srichter

FNG
I used a mummy bag last year and wasn’t a fan of it. Definitely going to look into this option.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I went through the same process recently and it came down to Katabatic, EE, and El Coyote all of which are high quality and all of which are either slightly above $350 or considerably more in a 20F rating (choosing the 900+FP option).
I ended up going with El Coyote as the feature set was to my liking and their regular at 56” is wider than the regular in the other two brands (EE 54”; Katabatic 52”).
Couldn’t be happier with my decision and would purchase again without hesitation.
There is another thread about quilts yesterday that a forum member photo’s a 0F EE next to a El Coyote 20F and the latter appears to have equal to if not more loft.
Thread Link:

Last edited:

nastynick

FNG
I’d love to hear how your opinion of the temp rating has been for you. I jist picked up a 10* with 2oz overstuff...I sleep cold usually and have seen temps dip down to 25 during archery when I’ve been out.
Sorry for the late reply, I have to VPN to the U.S. from Norway to get onto Rokslide now.

I have a 20* with no overstuff. I sleep really warm and have had it down to 25*. That's about as low as I'd run it with the setup I had. I was in a floorless tipi (no stove), on a Klymit Static V Lux insulated pad, Thermarest foam pillow, and I was wearing merino long top and bottom (and a beanie). But like I said, I sleep really warm and if it got much colder, I'd be wearing a puffy top too.

The biggest thing is making sure you use the pad straps (if it's real cold) and zipping the foot box up so you don't let warm arm escape (cold air get in). Also, the pad is a big factor.

I just purchased a quilt for $349 from El Coyote. 20 degrees custom order got to pick out the color. I went with a regular length and wide width. comes 30% overstuffed and based on specs and reviews I'm betting this bad boy will be true to its rating.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Nice choice...mine has become my favorite and do believe El Coyote quilts are very true if not conservative in their ratings. Color scheme?

elijah

FNG
So I think I am going to give a quilt a try. The weight isn't a big concern. I am a stomach sleeper and a very light sleeper. My last hunt I used a mountain hardware mummy bag, I stayed warm but just wasn't that comfortable. What do you all recommend?
I ended up with the enlightened convert for the same reason I’m a stomach sleeper and roll around a lot. The convert was ideal for me because it still has the option to zip it up if you want. I’ve had it a couple years and love it!

I just hit buy on the El Coyote 20* quilt in Regular/Wide, $349 + shipping. I am 6" 175 and it will be paired with a Exped Synmat UL Winter LW. Transitioning from car camping to backpack camping so I have a trip at the end of the month in the eastern Sierras to test out an all new sleep system. Overnight lows will probably be in the high 20's/low 30's so it should be a pretty good trial run.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
The Eastern Sierra is my favorite area and that El Coyote will definitely get a good test at elevation this time of year. I have a trip planned in that area the 3rd week of May and will be taking a EC quilt too.