Best tents and/or sleeping bags for pack-in hunts?

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
58c556ffac304d782fa4e9ac9d318b08.jpg

a4293503057fa8f9df357a44adaa8007.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best pic I've seen in a awhile on here. To often you see folks "gearing up" for these hunts and your little girl takes it on in pink sweats and purple beanie.
Awesome!

karltime

FNG
I'm going in with a lanshan 2 tent (needs trekking poles 2.7lbs), a klymit insulated v pad, and a 15 degree pariah quilt. I've only used the tent one night scouting this year, but for the money it beats most tents in the $100 price range (I'm not ready mentally for floorless). I'm a side sleeper and the klymit has worked awesome for the past 2 years. I think total cost was close to $400 ($130 tent on Amazon, $50 pad, $165 quilt, $30 trekking poles)

K_pem

WKR
If you're interested in a tipi style floor-less shelter, my hunting partner and I started fabricating some ourselves and they've been such a hit that we started a business for them. About 4 lbs with room for 4 people and gear, we have a proprietary awning system that doubles as a glassing shelter as well.

Check out Selkirk Mountain Gear on Facebook and our website will be done soon SelkirkMG.com. Shoot me a PM on here or via our Facebook page for more info.

Different tents for different situations.
Tipi+Stove is killer in cold weather.
Lightweight freestanding tent is awesome for bug protection.

I haven't used a tent for years! I use a bivy sack. My Kit:

- Outdoor Research Helium Bivy (16 oz)
- Therma Rest Neo-Lite Rest (12 oz)
- Elevation Equipment Revalation Quilt (20 oz)

I stuff all these into the same stuff sack .... and it ends up weighing about 4# total and stuff small!

I'll sleep in my clothes and heavyweight hoody. If needed I'll add my lightweight puffy - but usually I'll get hot if I do. I'll sleep with the hood an, and wear my light gloves.

The Bivy Sack ads warmth you won't be cold. The Quilt is rated to 20-degrees, but I've used a 30-degree bag and was fine.

Finding a flat spot for a tent can be a huge hassle - esp. if you're running ridges, and hunting hard. The Bivy alone will add 30-40 min day in hunting time simply because you don't need to find the perfect tent spot and it takes about a minute to set up. Can't tell you how many times I've bivied on a steep slope behind a tree in a deer bed. Best sleep ever!

nastynick

FNG
Is this just for you/one person?

For the money, there are a couple options for just getting into it that I found were a good value and served me well so far.

Luxe Minipeak (just became a sponsor on here) and Luxe trekking pole with tyvek, this can probably all be had for about $130 new
HammockGear economy quilts, depending on how you build it could be about $160 and you’ll have this for a long time

Man that's rough! I have an Alps Lynx 4 tent and use it when I am llama packing but it weighs like 10 or 12 pounds so I would definitely not backpack if I had to carry myself, it would take up half my pack too.

I would go for a sub 5 lb 3 season tent at least.
That wierd cuz mine only weigh in at 8.6,that being said it's only used when my kids go with me and I need the space my jack wolfskin pilgrim2 witch is now the gossimer 2 weighs in at 4.8lbs

Last edited:
Your right, its lighter than I said. Its still too heavy and bulky for me to want to carry but, I don't have kids or use it with more than 2 people. There are similar 4 person tents in this size that cost several hundred dollars more and weigh around 7 lbs so the Lynx really is a solid bargain.

Wondering if you guys had any suggestions for tents/bags to take on a pack-in 5 day hunt?

Finally getting my gear together for a Colorado archery hunt in September and am overwhelmed by the tent and sleeping bag choices out there.

Any suggestions for quality vs price vs weight vs packed-down size would be greatly appreciated. Also, bags rated to 20 degrees enough for that time of year?

Sorry, this is a pretty wide-open question but, again, I’m a little overwhelmed by all the choices online...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I skip the tent altogether, esp. for September, and go with a Outdoor Research Helium Bivy (16oz), Enlightened Equipment Revalation Quilt, and Thermarest Neoair Xlite pad ... entire system is about 3 pounds including the stuff sack. The Bivy adds some warmth ... if you even need it in Sept. and set up is simple and super easy. I've endured night showers with no issues. Once you go to a bivy sack, you'll never go back to a tent.

Trekking poles were the single biggest improvement I have made in gear purchases.

With sleepings bags pay more attention to the fill weight and down rating than temprating. With quality bags there really isnt anywhere to cheat the weight. So if 2 different bags are both rated 20 degrees but weigh substantially different it's because there is less insulation or the bag is cut tighter.

mvrk28

WKR
I switched my setup completely for this year:

Kuiu Summit Refuge 3p
Neo Air X Lite
Enlighted Equipment Enigma 20 degree quilt
Sea to Summit Event Compression Sack

Whole setup comes in under 4.25 lbs.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Dan Durston X-Mid tent. Poles are a must. Kifaru slick bag. Kifaru Timberline pack. Thermarest pad.

TannerS

FNG
Do you have a concern with having no floor or being "fully contained" within a tent? As others have stated, it will depend on your goals/needs (ie. weight, protection, ease of setup/teardown). The simple/lightweight system is a tarp w/ a trekking pole support system. They can still be pricey depending on the materials and size. If you need/want a floor and some containment, make sure you factor in the weight of a ground sheet to add structure to a lightweight tent floor.

I'm looking at the offerings from tarptents.com, since they are lightweight, easy to setup/teardown and provide containment/floor & walls.

xziang

WKR
Buy or order from REI if you don't like it they hace a great return policy.
This has been discussed before but.. my use is msr hubba hubba. (Big agnes is another top chice) Floorless check out mountainsmith LT shelter, very cheap and gets good reviews if you want to try floorless. Bags, in sept CO i use BA Lost Ranger for I like the sleece for pad. If cold cold western mou tajneering alpinelite might be used. First year in CO i used a 125.00 stoic tent which is same design as my MSR.

Adammn

Lil-Rokslider
I skip the tent altogether, esp. for September, and go with a Outdoor Research Helium Bivy (16oz), Enlightened Equipment Revalation Quilt, and Thermarest Neoair Xlite pad ... entire system is about 3 pounds including the stuff sack. The Bivy adds some warmth ... if you even need it in Sept. and set up is simple and super easy. I've endured night showers with no issues. Once you go to a bivy sack, you'll never go back to a tent.

I have often thought about using the OR Helium bivy for weight savings and ease of use. I use a jimmytarp and borah gear bivy which ends up being about 24oz. So I could save 8oz of weight and have an easier setup/breakdown if I went with the Helium. The thing that always stops me.....is what do you do with your pack and weapon when its raining or snowing?

Stuff them at the base of a tree. Pay attention next time after a shower how dry it is at the base of pine trees.

Perfect? no. Easy? Yes. Light? yes.

ndbuck09

WKR
The Tarptent Notch Li is 21 oz with the mesh/dyneema floor option. Thats a full dual wall tent for that weight. I used a bivy when I had a sheep tag due to the rocky steep country but I've never had trouble getting stakes in in elk country. You only need your sleeping area to be flat so I've pitched over small flat spots before and you tent may not be level but your sleeping pad can be.