Best tents and/or sleeping bags for pack-in hunts?

kiddogy

WKR
I have an exo 3500 pack 4-5 lbs empty

paris zion 2p tent-4lbs12oz with footprint and polls. tight but workable for two, palace for one

neo air sleeping pad 12oz
teton sleeping bag4 lbs , I believe it is a 30 degree bag. thinking of picking up a quilt to mabye shed a bit more weight
pocket rocket 2 camp stove with a stanley stain steel cup tp boil water in. stove and gas canister will pack into the cup when hiking to save space.

2, two gallon platypus water bladders. one for unfiltered water one for after I filter it.
I have a sawyer squeeze filter but looking at the msn miniworks filter. also carry a lifestarw water filter ,which is great for quick drinks from creeks and such.

black diamond collapsible hiking poles. 1lb

with hunting gear ,clothes ,food,first aid( wether or not I pack water in really depends on water access in area I am in. water is heavy.) I can do a three to five day trip ,packing in roughly 50 lbs. (this varies some on weather forecasts also) could shave more on the tent (by going floorless and a tent that uses my trekking poles to set up) and sleeping bag and probably will in the future but for now this works for me

Sbrien777

FNG
I have an exo 3500 pack 4-5 lbs empty

paris zion 2p tent-4lbs12oz with footprint and polls. tight but workable for two, palace for one

neo air sleeping pad 12oz
teton sleeping bag4 lbs , I believe it is a 30 degree bag. thinking of picking up a quilt to mabye shed a bit more weight
pocket rocket 2 camp stove with a stanley stain steel cup tp boil water in. stove and gas canister will pack into the cup when hiking to save space.

2, two gallon platypus water bladders. one for unfiltered water one for after I filter it.
I have a sawyer squeeze filter but looking at the msn miniworks filter. also carry a lifestarw water filter ,which is great for quick drinks from creeks and such.

black diamond collapsible hiking poles. 1lb

with hunting gear ,clothes ,food,first aid( wether or not I pack water in really depends on water access in area I am in. water is heavy.) I can do a three to five day trip ,packing in roughly 50 lbs. (this varies some on weather forecasts also) could shave more on the tent (by going floorless and a tent that uses my trekking poles to set up) and sleeping bag and probably will in the future but for now this works for me

Have you always used an exo pack?

kiddogy

WKR
exo is the first high dollar pack I ever bought . though I have had the pleasure of borrowing both kuiu, eberlestock and stone glacier from family and friends to try out . I went with exo because they seem to fit me best and they are based only 40 miles from my home.

most of my life I used a cabelas packframe and any old duffle to carry gear. then I had an alps that was ok, though nowhere near the quality or comfort of my exo. gave the alps to a friend when I got my exo, he seems to like it o.k. but he wants an exo now also.
still have the cabelas frame and will keep it as an extra meat packer but I really regret not having upgraded years ago ,when my back was still strong.

Sbrien777

FNG
Looking to finally purchase a big dollar pack and shelter setup. Lookin at stone glacier or exo for pack and seekoutside, stone or kifaru for shelter. Too many decisions!

kiddogy

WKR
Looking to finally purchase a big dollar pack and shelter setup. Lookin at stone glacier or exo for pack and seekoutside, stone or kifaru for shelter. Too many decisions!
yep. it can be a bit overwhelming. if possible try on as many packs as you can for fit and feel .
I really can't say there was enough of a price difference between the exo, stone glacier , kuiu or kifaru packs that price was really an issue in my decision. kifaru has lots of options and I have heard nothing but good of them but I was unable to try any on.
I can't say I cared much for the eberlestock packs I tried on . I believe they are a decent made pack but they just don't fit me well at all and were uncomfortable even when empty.

don't know what sort of shelter you want but paria and big agnes are worth looking at.

for me I was looking at lightweight tent for backpacking and possiblity of being caught in a foot or so of snow. not likely it will ever get worse then that here in idaho during hunt season but if it does I can adapt accordingly. if I were just camping in warmer weather , I would go the floorless route.

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
I'd look really hard at the Seek Outside line up of smaller tents that can take either a bug nest or stove depending on the season. That makes a really versatile set-up where you only have to pack the pieces you need for that hunt. I have used Seek Outside and Kifaru floorless shelters and like them both when bugs aren't an issue. With the nests now they can be whatever they need to be.

I've stayed with synthetic on sleeping bags. I like the Kifaru Slickbag best for most hunts. If I know it won't be under 40 at any time I go with a Hill People Gear Mountain serape. it works great for me as a warm weather sleeping bag or blanket plus replaces my puffy layers for glassing in mild weather. If you prefer down I've heard good things about Mtn Hardware, Kuiu, or Stone Glacier. I have not tried any of them.

Packs I like my Exo 3500 best for most hunts.

Best pic I've seen in a awhile on here. To often you see folks "gearing up" for these hunts and your little girl takes it on in pink sweats and purple beanie.
Awesome!
Her boots look a little big...

No love for hammocks on here?
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rokwiia

WKR
Tent - either a Seek Outside 4-man tipi or TarpTent Hogback
Bag - either a WM bag or Enlightened Equipment 10F quilt
Pad - ExPed Synmat XP 9 LW
Pack - Seek Outside Revolution Fortress 6,300

ChrisS

WKR
When you utilize a nest do you still have the option to run a stove?
depends on the tent and nest. A cimmarron, for example, can use a 1/2 nest that leaves the other half open for a stove maybe. Tipis have 1/2 nests, too. But I'd only want the stove if it's going to be less than 40F out and at that point, the nest isn't really necessary anyway. Flying insects generally just congregate in the top of the tipi. It's the ticks and spiders that I want a nest to keep out.