BH 209 powder variations

Oilcan

FNG
So I have been shooting from the same keg of BH209 with very good accuracy. it measures between 95-100 by volume in a preset flask and then I weigh it to confirm and it comes out to be 77 gr by weight. I shot the last of it the other day, today I measured up some more tubes with new container of powder using the same preset flask it only measured 72 gr by weight. The new powder grains are visually bigger so I guess that makes sense. I will be going next week to shoot and verify but I was wondering which measurement by volume or by weight would i get similar results as previously ? I hope I don’t have to start completely over and check multiple load variations for accuracy.
Thanks

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I would say that the weight would be the more consistent measure, but you're going to verify so please let us know. I use BH209 also and haven't had to buy it for awhile. I measure out all my powder and I use 73 gr. Gives me 1845 fps with a Barnes 290 gr.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

BH209 is designed to produce consistent results by volume among lots. I inquired directly with Hodgdon and that was their reply.

So, if you want to weigh your charges, pick a volume measurement, like 100 grV and weigh about 10 loads to get the average weight for that lot of powder. This will vary by lot. (You can find the lot # on the back of the bottle). This is lot 41:

IMG_2458.png

OP
Oilcan

Oilcan

FNG
BH209 is designed to produce consistent results by volume among lots. I inquired directly with Hodgdon and that was their reply.

So, if you want to weigh your charges, pick a volume measurement, like 100 grV and weigh about 10 loads to get the average weight for that lot of powder. This will vary by lot. (You can find the lot # on the back of the bottle). This is lot 41:

View attachment 610251
Thanks for the reply.

“BH209 is designed to produce consistent results by volume among lots”
that’s what I was afraid of. I’ve measured up 4 loads by weight 77 ( the previous powder) 75,73 and 71 ( the new powder by previous volume). I’ll shoot those and see which is best. Luckily I have 2 tubs of the new lot so I’ll be good for awhile.

OP
Oilcan

Oilcan

FNG
I went shooting yesterday. By volume was definitely the closest to my original load. So by volume it will be the same but by weight it’s about 4 grains less.