Big Game Hunting Training Program

ecutch

FNG
Strong Swift Durable is a legit training facility in Jackson, WY. They used to run two separate websites called Mountain Athlete and Military Athlete, but now they merged them both under the SSD name. They train elite military guys, alpine athletes, etc. They have a big game hunting specific program (link below). I've used them for other programs, but not the hunting program yet. The other programs I did were awesome. The founder/owner is very cool and responds to email questions personally. Check them out.

http://strongswiftdurable.com/shop/big-game-hunting-training-program/

Lexington

FNG
I've done several of Rob's workouts and highly recommend the Afghanistan "Pre-Deployment" program... Essentially designed to get one prepared for rucking in mountainous conditions.

They have some great YouTube clips out there on nutrition, performance training strategy, etc.

THERE IS NOTHING CLICHE OR GADGETY ABOUT MOUNTAIN/MILITARY ATHLETE... All exercise are designed to be simple and improve endurance.

Poser

WKR
I've checked that site out before and it seems legit. The the Q&A Archive is definitely full of useful information. I worked out at a Xfit box in CO a couple of times while out there this winter the head coach was Mountain Athlete certified and, upon inquiring, told me quite a bit about the program. It definitely seems like a well thought out program. The Afghanistan deployment program looks like it would be a great plan for someone with limited equipment options.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
Im following his programming right now and I think it is good stuff. I'm going to do the big game plan right before season. I have been doing crossfit for several years and I think his program is definitely more endurance focused which should be good for the mountain. I read a lot about Mtn athlete and gym jones and ultimately just picked one and started following along. So far so good.

BigDog00

WKR
Who has used this and how did you guys like it? I'm thinking about giving it a go to switch things up.

Who has used this and how did you guys like it? I'm thinking about giving it a go to switch things up.

I have used three of their programs, Stuck in a Motel, Rat 6 Strength, and Humility. I am currently doing the big game program. They are definitely ass kickers. I did Xfit for years and if you go hard these are very challenging. They can be a bit repetitive though and sometimes they ramp up weight and reps a bit to quickly for my taste but overall I really enjoy them and can tell an improvement in my hiking/ruking.

BigDog00

WKR
I have used three of their programs, Stuck in a Motel, Rat 6 Strength, and Humility. I am currently doing the big game program. They are definitely ass kickers. I did Xfit for years and if you go hard these are very challenging. They can be a bit repetitive though and sometimes they ramp up weight and reps a bit to quickly for my taste but overall I really enjoy them and can tell an improvement in my hiking/ruking.

Thanks paleraider, I went ahead and bought it. I did Day one today and think Ill enjoy it. The 600 step-ups was repetitive but I can see it really helping.

LitenFast

WKR
I just bought the Backcountry hunting plan also, will be starting it in about a month. I bought it early so I could look through it and see if anything I should prepare for beforehand. I agree that it looks like an ass kicker!!! I have been weight training for the last 4 months, but have neglected my endurance some. Looks like it will fix that! I will update as I get into it, but 6 days a week with two days being two a days gives you an idea of the intensity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worst is the "mini-events" on the weekends. They are terrible to do but you feel awesome once you have slugged through one. I will say that I can tell a huge difference in just a few weeks in terms of my ability to put weight on my back and go up a hill, that progress makes the suck of the program worth it!