Bino Buying Advice Request

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy my 'forever set' of x8 binos before next season. I'm looking to spend a maximum of $2k, and wondering what the best pair I can get for the price. I have Vortex Diamondbacks right now, and while they're fine, I'm at a point where I can upgrade.

Swaro SLCs look like an obvious choice, but I'm wondering what the comparable binos are from Leica/Zeiss? From what I can see, their prices jump from $1k to $2.5k with nothing in between. Also, I've heard good things about Nikon Monarch 7s, is the extra $1k worth it to get the SLCs? I'm fine spending the extra money, but want to do so to upgrade quality, not pay for a name.

Lastly, I've always used x10 but in testing prefer x8. Is the quality difference in x8 as noticeable as it is in x10s? Or can you get by with cheaper options due to the lower magnification?

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be our pleasure to discuss different options with you. Yes, Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss are at the top of the quality list. The others you may consider are the Nikon Monarch HG and the Meopta MeoStar
Give us a call, 516-217-1000, and let's discuss what would be best for you.

CorbLand

WKR
Swarovski SLC
Zeiss Conquest
Nikon HG
Leica Trinovid

If you willing to buy used you can find some of the higher end models in your price range.

AGPank

WKR
Well you have the budget for about anything, especially if you are patient and are willing to buy used.

Pros of an 8x42
- low light performance
- big field of view
- steadier free hand

8x32
- lighter / more compact
- slight trade off of low light

A 10x should resolve more detail if on a steady hold (tripod, good rest).

Rokslide has a good write up on the Nikons (Monarch HG)

I prefer the 1st edition SLC HD vs current model. It has the EL feel armor and different focus. Can be found used around $1350-1400.

There is (was) a set of EL 8x32 field pros in the classifieds in the $1650 range. I’ve seen non-field pro EL SV $1400-1500 used, my guess just because 8x32 isn’t as popular with hunters. I have these and they are great for how and where I hunt (timber, brush, viewing for hunting typically inside 1,000 yards).

Swarovski EL SV 8.5x42 - a real great option to take a look at. Possible to find used at new SLC pricing.

Leica Ultravid HD+ (both 8x42 and 8x32 variances)
- Leica offers a slightly more compact package than Swarovski.

Leica Noctivid 8x42
- these are Leicas flagship model
- big FOV
- finally out long enough to find used models

I recommend trying to look through some and see what works for your eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
You should be fine with 8x. Personally if I can't get enough detail there, 10x won't work either. You will not find a bad binocular in your price range. The most important thing with a binocular is to get one that fits. What one binocular in the price range can resolve, so can any others. You really won't gain much going from $1,000 up to the top. Usually there is a simpler design parameter, but top notch glass and construction. I happen to think the SLC is the best glass Swarovski makes. It is probably where I'd go if the need to ever spend more than $1,000 ever gets too strong to scratch. The Nikon Monarch HG (not the 7) looks interesting for its smaller that typical size. I'd say look at as many as you can and go for the best fit.

Akicita

WKR
I would give serious consideration towards the Steiner ShadowQuest 8X56. Demo a pair if you can and you'll know why I am recommending them. They have the industries best light transmission at 96%+.

I have some first gen 8x32 EL’s and I don’t ever see myself getting rid of them unless it’s to buy a pair with field flatterers. They are my favorite bino I’ve ever used in the field.

The 8.5x42 EL would be one I’d like to try if I went with a bigger objective but so far my 8x32 has been nothing short of awesome.

FURMAN

WKR
How do you intend to glass? I do most of my hunting in a true spot and stalk fashion. I glass with 10x42s on a tripod. If you have not tried it you have no clue what you are missing. I just can't see the point of 8s. If I wasn't so weight conscientious I would run 12s or 15s. I know you said you think you prefer 8s and I am not saying they don't have their place but I just do not think they are "forever" binos. My favorite bino is the Swaro ELs. There may be binos with better resolution or clarity in the sweet spot but the field flattening makes it easier for me to grid.

tdhanses

WKR
Look for Demos or used you can usually get a great deal. I’ve had Swaro SV EL’s, Zeiss Conquest HD’s, Meopta Meostars and Leica HD-B’s over the last 7 years.

The Swaro EL was the best out of the bunch but the Leica is very close and has a range finder plus ballistic feature. The Zeiss is a great bino and can usually be had for a good deal. The Swaro and Leica were in 10x42 and I had two Conquest HD’s 8x42 and 8x32, personally I thought the 8x32 Zeiss was better overall then the 8x42. I had the non HD Meopta Meostars in 8x32 and they were good but the HD version would be better.

But if I was buying again today I would go with the Leica HD-B over them all, the optics are excellent and the added rangefinder with ballistics calculator makes them a great overall value. You can currently find these for around $1500 in a demo or used, call cameralandny as they seem to get these in demos often.

While I liked the Swaro EL’s I don’t think I would pay MSRP to get it. The one I had was a demo and after two years I sold it for the same price I paid. Lost money on both Zeiss binos and if I sold my Leica’s I’d lose money as well now that there is a new HD-B out there and due to the demo pricing.

I bought all my binos as demo’s other then the Leica’s, bought these new at a very nice discount prior to the new versions release.

If I was buying a forever set, they’d be 10s not 8s but that’s just my opinion. For 2k you’ll be able to get a great set. Best of luck.

wseidel

WKR
I was in your shoes (hunting boots) two years ago. I had a good pair of Nikons but really wanted premium glass going forward. After extensive research I narrowed it down to the 8x42 SLC and 8.5 Swarovski (also looked hard at Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, and Cabela's)....all awesome binoculars. The Leica Noctovids were just coming out (and very expensive) so they weren't a strong consideration. What I discovered is that I'm in the minority of people who see the "rolling ball" effect in field-flattening binoculars (i.e. 8.5 EL, Noctovid). Spend some time with the 8.5 EL and make sure that you are comfortable using them to see if you're impacted. You'll know as you pan them slowly from side to side. If you're impacted, you'll feel a bit uncomfortable and some people even get a bit queezy. So after comparing many binoculars side by side, I decided on the 8x42 SLCs. I did a nation-wide search (Rokslide, ArcheryTalk, Craigslist, Birding Forums, etc.) and found a like-new pair for $1200 on Craigslist. Great decision and well worth the research. Oh, and I prefer the 8 power since I use them for everything - hunting, sports, birding - and appreciate the wider field of view, less perceived shake, and a bit better light gathering. Hope this helps.

fwafwow

WKR
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy my 'forever set' of x8 binos before next season. I'm looking to spend a maximum of $2k, and wondering what the best pair I can get for the price. I have Vortex Diamondbacks right now, and while they're fine, I'm at a point where I can upgrade.

Swaro SLCs look like an obvious choice, but I'm wondering what the comparable binos are from Leica/Zeiss? From what I can see, their prices jump from $1k to $2.5k with nothing in between. Also, I've heard good things about Nikon Monarch 7s, is the extra $1k worth it to get the SLCs? I'm fine spending the extra money, but want to do so to upgrade quality, not pay for a name.

Lastly, I've always used x10 but in testing prefer x8. Is the quality difference in x8 as noticeable as it is in x10s? Or can you get by with cheaper options due to the lower magnification?

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What did you end up purchasing?