Black bear attack

Lowg08

WKR
I don’t understand why they always kill the bears. I walked upon a sow and 2 Cubs this year and I just slowly eased out of there and she never bothered me. She huffed at me a time or two. I’m sure if I had my fiest it would have been different maybe

Lowg08

WKR
I know it’s different considering the feasting. The thing I don’t get is something triggered it. We are talking about black bears not grizzlies. I’ve been around black bears for years. Many times sows with Cubs. I have seen sows run right by me to attack a dog once her Cubs were up. I’m not trying to argue or say she deserved it. Don’t get me wrong either I’ve killed bears and will kill more. Unless a person gets too close they won’t really go out of there way to grab someone. Of course it’s a scavenger too. Just dont understand killing it on first offense knowing sows will protect even yearling. It’s a natural reaction. Just me. Not trying to argue. Just me I guess

I don’t understand why they always kill the bears. I walked upon a sow and 2 Cubs this year and I just slowly eased out of there and she never bothered me. She huffed at me a time or two. I’m sure if I had my fiest it would have been different maybe
If it was your wife, you would probably be ok with them killing bears that kill people.

what I wonder is why Colorado doesn’t have a spring bear season?
In areas with a lot of bear, it’s not a bad idea to kill the ones that are problematic... in AK they just kill the bear that hang around too much, so they don’t become an issue in the first place... proactive...

there are a lot of bear there, so it has no negative impact on them, and if you pro actively kill them you can eat them and use them.

sounds like a good amount of Colorado has too many bear, and humans are responsible for managing wildlife, but the cute fuzzy predators are sacred to those who don’t hunt or live around them... the real problem is emotional game management rather than data based... that’s where we are right now and it’s a complete shame

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Exactly like what happened to my neighbor a few months ago. This "eating" on the mauling victim has massively increased in the last decades.

Loose dogs are more likely to get their master mauled then to frighten off a bear.

Dog chases bear, bear turns and chases dog, dog runs straight to "master" for protection, bear attacks "master". Dog goes home. Yes........sometimes dogs do frighten bears away, but fairly high risk.

Lowg08

WKR
I’m hoping my wife would be packing in bear habitat like I do. I did take the earlier advice from yesterday and researched that an expert found that like stated above the dogs usually cause the harm. I also found that if it’s a grizzly they catch it and match dna before euthanized and if it had Cubs they go to a zoo of type. Black bears on the other hand are immediately euthanized. It does very from state to state.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved

This happened just a few miles from where I used to live. Broad daylight, that black bear was eating that kid in the trail when they found it. I have zero problem with killing problem bears, anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks for this sneaky, but this was 15 years ago so any relevance to the Durango story is long gone.

Eddie

Laramie

WKR
Mama kills human. Cubs eat human. Cubs learn humans are food. This isn't hard man. 😳

Exactly like what happened to my neighbor a few months ago. This "eating" on the mauling victim has massively increased in the last decades.

Loose dogs are more likely to get their master mauled then to frighten off a bear.

Dog chases bear, bear turns and chases dog, dog runs straight to "master" for protection, bear attacks "master". Dog goes home. Yes........sometimes dogs do frighten bears away, but fairly high risk.
Are you speaking from experience, or just conjecture?
All of my experience with bears and dogs involves bears running for their lives and often ending up treed... I guess mutt rescue dogs aren't the same.
Can't say I feel bad about the situation. These people vote to restrict hound hunting, and wonder why bears have no fear of people, dogs, and civilization.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
Mama kills human. Cubs eat human. Cubs learn humans are food. This isn't hard man. 😳
Lol I get it. I just figure that may ought to prove it. Like they do with the grizzlies. Of course they are endangered.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Are you speaking from experience, or just conjecture?
All of my experience with bears and dogs involves bears running for their lives and often ending up treed... I guess mutt rescue dogs aren't the same.
Can't say I feel bad about the situation. These people vote to restrict hound hunting, and wonder why bears have no fear of people, dogs, and civilization.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I am "not" speaking from conjecture.

I know it’s different considering the feasting. The thing I don’t get is something triggered it. We are talking about black bears not grizzlies. I’ve been around black bears for years. Many times sows with Cubs. I have seen sows run right by me to attack a dog once her Cubs were up. I’m not trying to argue or say she deserved it. Don’t get me wrong either I’ve killed bears and will kill more. Unless a person gets too close they won’t really go out of there way to grab someone. Of course it’s a scavenger too. Just dont understand killing it on first offense knowing sows will protect even yearling. It’s a natural reaction. Just me. Not trying to argue. Just me I guess
Guys accidentally tree sows with Cubs or Cubs 100s of times a year across the country and this never happens. There was something wrong with the individual bear and it needed to go. Just like any other animals there are bad ones from time to time. Bears have extremely individual personalities and are all different so to say the sows you’ve come along we’re fine from a handful of experiences doesn’t mean this one didn’t need to go.