Blaser

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I'll throw gasoline on the fire.

I have gone through 4 series of Blaser infatuations. I think this time it is here to stay.

About 2000 I bought a pair of R93's for about $1200 each used on Guns America. They both shot well, over a couple years I ended up with 5 receivers, 12 barrels, 3 bolts and a mountain of scope mounts. Eventually when my father turned 60 I bought him a K95 with barrels in 222, 30-06 and 243.

Blaser had a bad PR issue about 2007 or so with someone loading pistol or shotgun ammo in a rifle and blowing it up. A well known German gunwriter spurred on the drama and we sold everything except the K95 stuff.

I saw those rumors when getting my R8. I could never find any concrete description of what happened other than internet hearsay. I've seen so many dangerous things done with reloading that I just wrote it off as operator error.

The best thread I found that discussed these rumors is here with input from Blaser:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../printthread/Board/29/main/179994/type/thread

Quoted below in case it ever vanishes from the other forum:
I am researching the possibility of purchasing a Blaser R93 rifle in the USA and I have some questions, please.

During my research I came across the following statements:

"All the 93 & their Tac versions use the locking splines , thats all thats holding the bolt in place , from what I understand , most (action failures) have been caused by pierced primers , and the gas venting back and melting the plastic washer that actually cams the fingers/splines into battery . Also heard that the 338LM model uses a metal instead of the std plastic washer..."
(Link: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ub...r&topic=0&Search=true#Post387668 )

1. Do you indeed have to close the R93 action with authority to ensure it locks up? There are times I want to do it quietly.

2. Can the R93 fire when not completely locked up?

3. Is there a plastic washer that can melt and cause problems with a pierced
primer/gas venting?

Thank you for your attention,

==============================================================
Answer: ---- Darren Hull <[email protected] wrote:

Thank you for your email.
There certainly is some rubbish written in the internet. Please note that in all of these claimed accidents there are never any facts on these, other than "heard through a friend."

In answer to your questions:

1, You can close the bolt assembly relatively quietly but you do need to ensure that the bolt handle is firmly closed (90 degrees).

2, No. What happens is that: when fired, the firing pin/block first hits the opening lever and first pushes it closed, only then can the firing pin continue through. If the rifle is fired with the bolt assembly not fully closed, there will be a click (bolt assembly closing) and there may be a light indentation on the primer (tell tale sign that the handle was not closed). You can simulate this by dry-firing your rifle with the bolt assembly not fully closed.
The firing pin cannot contact the primer without first closing the handle.

3, There are no plastic/rubber parts on the locking elements.

Fact: Each barrel and bolt head is tested with a minimum of 30% overloaded proof cartridges - this is required by German law.

DEVA have tested our system and proved it to hold pressures of over 8000 bar. (Jaywalker note: 8000 bar = 116,030.19 ppsi, per Google)

We have now sold over 160 000 R93 rifles (including LRS2) - there is not a problem with the design or safety of these rifles.

Should you have any further questions, please let me know

===============================================================
Question �
Mr. Hull,

Thank you for your prompt response. I will post it where it will help create greater understanding.

If I may followup on one of your answers:
"...there will be a click (bolt assembly closing) and there may be a light indentation on the primer (tell tale sign that the handle was not closed). You can simulate this by drying firing your rifle with the bolt assembly not fully closed. The firing pin cannot contact the primer without first closing the handle."

This light indentation on the primer raises a question. Is this indentation from the firing pin, or from something else? I would doubt that US primer manufacturers meet the same level of standards as those in Europe. Here, my CCI primers ignite readily from the relatively heavy impact of my Model 70, but not always from lighter impact of a Remington rifle. For them, I use Federal primers. When reloading for an R93, should I take care to use "harder to ignite" components?

==============================================================

Thank you for your email.
I am very pleased to hear you are considering purchasing an R93. You will not be disappointed!

The light indentation is from the firing pin.
If the bolt assembly is not correctly closed - 2 things can happen

1, The energy from the firing pin/block is only enough to close the bolt assembly but didn�t have enough energy to ignite the primer (leaves light indentation)& results in a misfire.
2, The gun fires. (as normal) What has happened here is that the bolt assembly was first closed by the firing pin/block but then also had enough energy to ignite the primer.

The firing pin cannot touch the primer until the bolt handle is first in closed position.

You definitely do not need to use different primers from those that you normally use.

Should you have any further questions, please let me know

Best Regards
=====================================================

Question -
Mr. Hull,

Thank you. Do I understand you correctly to say that the firing pin fall closes the action completely if it were not already in battery? If so, that's an excellent design concept!

Completely correct. Please allow me to attach an image where you can see the position of the R93 lock-up when the firing-pin is level with the breech of the bolt-head. The lock-up is realized 100%.

Best Regards

Darren Hull

International Service
Blaser Jagdwaffen GmbH
Ziegelstadel 1
88316 Isny im Allg�u
Germany

Phone: 0049 (0)7562 702 159
Fax: 0049 (0)7562 702 148

And some more :

Dear Sir,

As you are aware of, on January 10, 2004, at a shooting range near Koblenz, Germany, a Blaser R93 was damaged and in that accident the shooter was injured.

Unfortunately this issue has been taken and exaggerated from various people in order to discredit the R93 in an un-objective and dubious way.

On January 22, 2004, the CEO and Technical Directors of Blaser Jagdwaffen GmbH were able to look at the rifle in question, with three police officials with the permission of the public prosecutors office Koblenz.

The steel showed deformation in the lockup area as well as two definite cracks beginning at the rear end of the chamber. Powderized brass was found in the lock-up area. There was deformation on the bolt head as well as deformation on the bolt head elements. The cam plate, which supports the assembly in locked position, and the right rail were broken away from position while the assembly was in a closed and locked position.

Without wanting to anticipate the results from the public prosecutor and after examination we have concluded clearly the damage was caused through extreme overloaded gas pressure. With consideration to the above mentioned DEVA examination, it is our opinion that the cause of this accident is without doubt due to the ammunition and cannot be related to the rifle. (my note: the independant agency DEVA later confirmed this as their findings also).

At this point we would like to clearly state, that the technical design of the R93, with more than 100,000 rifles supplied (and now more than 160,000 as has been mentioned in a post above), has not been found responsible for any accident where the rifle has been damaged. Every single R93 is controlled and tested by the state/county proof-house according to the C.I.P. regulations using proof cartridges exceeding the maximal allowed gas pressure by a minimum of 30%. The R93, however, withstands loads/gas pressures way above proof-level as our in-house/combined DEVA-tests clearly documents.

Unfortunately, it happens in individual cases that the use of defective or incorrectly loaded ammunition results in damage to the rifle and/or shooter, no matter what brand or type of rifle is used. For example, in 2003 we were aware that in Austria alone, three cases of destroyed bolt-actions rifles occured due to incorrectly loaded ammunition with three different rifle manufacturers being involved.

This article below they did precision and abuse testing of leading makers including the Blaser R93. This included a blocked barrel test for the finals. The R93 rated second place under the precision testing and freeze tests, best in rust resistance, and held fine with blocked barrel. The Remington and Browning rifles exploded during these blocked barrel tests which would have lead to serious injuries.

(use Google Translate):

1651396250732.png

I had the R8 out again this weekend hunting but also took a nice European wood/blue classic turn bolt rifle. The Blaser just smokes it in all categories.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
I shot mine today. Other than weighing 10 pounds, with a scope and sling I love it.

Need a couple more barrels until I am set.

Ethan.irizarry

FNG
Classified Approved
Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56 that has been back and forth between the 308 & 30-06. That is in Unimount I bought in Germany.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 in a Blaser saddle mount on the 30-06 right now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
0bcd715216b94a061ad6b83571ea436d.jpg
Would you sell your zeiss Diavari?

I had a an awesome k95 and finest rifle I've owned but sold it as it's just way too nice for me and wanted a repeater with higher cap mags in cartridge they didn't offer.

B23

WKR
I've never owned one of their rifles but a few years ago I had a semi custom built and chambered in Blaser 7mm Mag. It's very similar in case capacity to a 7mm Rem mag but IMO the Blaser 7mm has a better case design as well as the case isn't belted like the 7Rem is. My 7mm Blaser Mag shoots about as good as anything I own and it slings the 180 Berger's 3088-3100 from a 26in pipe.

300 win mag

Lil-Rokslider
i own a r93 in its original semi camo stock.used to work on the side with his buisness selling premium wool hunting garments.i would do all his shows with him in the northeast.well i had 2 barrels for it 257 wby and 300 wby.shot 1/2 inch or better with factory ammo and less with handloads.i also own several custom built sporter rifles from 22=250 to 416 remington.they are more accurate but i use the blazer more often for game from pronghorn to the largest black bears,moose in the yukon in grizz country.point is for most guys by once and cry once and buy a blazer.they were way ahead of there time and are the best production rifle ever produced in my opinion.good hunting and shooting to all/

BjornF16

WKR
Does anyone have a R8 Ultimate?...or experience shooting one?

I have an opportunity to get one at a great price, but I'm a little put off by the butt stock configuration/geometry. Doesn't look like it would be conducive to riding straight back during recoil.

My Jaeger I have on order is delayed...

Q2: is the Jaeger receiver the same as Ultimate (i.e. can the Ultimate be retrofitted to Jaeger butt stock?)

Mojave

WKR
Does anyone have a R8 Ultimate?...or experience shooting one?

I have an opportunity to get one at a great price, but I'm a little put off by the butt stock configuration/geometry. Doesn't look like it would be conducive to riding straight back during recoil.

My Jaeger I have on order is delayed...

Q2: is the Jaeger receiver the same as Ultimate (i.e. can the Ultimate be retrofitted to Jaeger butt stock?)
No the R8 Jaeger can not be fit to an Ultimate stock. The Ultimates utilize a different rear tang bolt shape.

I have a carbon fiber stock coming for my Jaeger next week. I hope I like it.

BjornF16

WKR
No the R8 Jaeger can not be fit to an Ultimate stock. The Ultimates utilize a different rear tang bolt shape.

I have a carbon fiber stock coming for my Jaeger next week. I hope I like it.
Since my R8 was delayed through Blaser, Guidefitter was offering me an Ultimate they had on hand.

I was just trying to determine if that Ultimate stock was good for long range work.

Mojave

WKR
Since my R8 was delayed through Blaser, Guidefitter was offering me an Ultimate they had on hand.

I was just trying to determine if that Ultimate stock was good for long range work.
Will work.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider

I use a Pro Success and shoot long range a lot with it. I looked at the ultimate and it offers more adjustments at the expense of more weight and complexity. The adjustable cheek rest on the Ultmate would be an upgrade over the standard Pro Success if that was important to you. Not sure how the Ultimate compares to the other versions. I don't know how much you are beating around with the rifle, but the Ultimate has more moving parts, etc. to go wrong vs. a simpler stock. I crawl on my stomach to get into positions with my rifle in my hand and don't really worry about it. Not sure I'd do that with the Ultimate with cheek piece, etc.

The best upgrade I did to my rifle for LR work was install the Spartan magnetic bipod mount and Spartan Pro bipod.

BjornF16

WKR
One rifle to do it all, sea level to 11,000’; flats to mountains.

Don’t want it too heavy.

Passed on the Ultimate they were offering as it included Blaser scope and was way more than I wanted to pay.

Ordered components from EuroOptic (who had everything on hand). Jaeger receiver (no wood).

Carbon fiber stock and fore end arrived today…UPS delayed delivery of Jaeger receiver yesterday and rescheduled for Monday…my FFL left town for vacation today so now I have another 2 week wait 😡

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Using a Blaser shows people how ludicrous $4,000 Remington clone “customs” are. All things considered, probably the best general hunting rifle on the market.

BjornF16

WKR
6XC barrel on my bench; ordered a 22CM 7” twist to launch 88 ELDMs.

Looking forward to finally getting my receiver.

BjornF16

WKR
Are the Ultimate stocks modular?

Can the stocks be retrofitted with adjustable cheek riser and buttstock?

Grumman

WKR
I want one, but have had a hard time getting past what seems like a very thin and cheap buttpad. Does that bother anyone and has anyone replaced it with something better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Did you install gunmaker's adapter (internal to stock) or add on classic rifle adapter (external to stock)?
It has the adapter installed in the stock by the local Blaser dealer. On the pro success stock the foreend tip is removable so it can pulled off easily and modified. This keeps the sling stud in place behind so I can use the loop sling or slap in the bipod quickly when needed. I've never used the external adapter and suspect the internal one would be a cleaner and more solid solution.