Blue Color Outerwear in Woods

Opinions vary a bit on how wildlife sees the color blue in the wilderness but sure are some great deals on blue colored high end gear these days. Curious on any personal experience in the field or if you would/have pulled the trigger on similar gear for hunting?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Blue tends to be ultraviolet but that depends on the dye. Some materials are more reflective than others. If you don’t have UV brighteners in the dye and use it on wool I don’t think it will matter.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
My understanding is, deer see blue very well, but you won't look nearly as sharp as you do in brand new expensive full body camouflage. If you are in a tree stand does it really matter?

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
I understand that our vision and the colors we see better than others may differ from that of deer or elk, but on the rare occasion I see another hunter wearing blue jeans, I can spot those much farther away than hunters wearing either camo patterns or earth tone solids. I wouldn’t wear blue solids if I was doing spot and stalk type hunts.

Birds see color, bears are believed to see color, i.e., blueberries ... Ungulates, as has already been said, see blue well. And as has also been pointed out, "more deer have been shot in blue jeans than any other pant". However, I have yet to shoot a deer wearing blue jeans.

People's opinions on it can vary, but science says that deer and elk see blue and yellow very well. Every other color looks either black or a shade of grey. No doubt many animals have been killed in blue jeans, but how many more would've been killed if no one ever wore blue? Impossible to answer but likely more. I like greens, greys and lighter browns. Both non camo and camo.

My understanding is, deer see blue very well, but you won't look nearly as sharp as you do in brand new expensive full body camouflage. If you are in a tree stand does it really matter?

A dark out of place blob is as bad as anything else. Wearing gray KUIU against early Sept green is like standing behind a tree blowing on a "coach" whistle while standing up wind of a critter.