Blue marlin

Deadfall

WKR
Looking into a fishing trip in Florida. Wife and I want to fight a blue marlin. Anybody ever does this?
We want a good charter!
Any advice would be great.

Rich M

WKR
I'm not sure blue marlin is a sure bet out of FL. You'll be better with other locations - Costa Rica and others.

You would have a good shot at swordfish if you wanted to do that. The guys in SE FL do a good job on them.

sram9102

WKR
We randomly caught the one in my profile picture fishing out of the keys. Thought we had a world record mahi on until it we got it to the boat. There are enough marlin around cabo they sight fish for them. Watching deckhands throw 10# fish out as bait is a fun experience.

Dominican Republic and St Thomas are much better opportunities than anywhere in Florida. Costa Rica too, depending on where you’re coming from and how much you want to spend. Double digit FAD trips are not uncommon in Costa Rica but they can be costly multi day trips. In North Carolina I would give Hatteras the nod in late May and June. Oregon Inlet, NC in August and September—- but they’re still not a guaranteed thing.
If you really want an adventure look into Cape Verde islands in summer or the south east coast of Australia.

Haven’t done it in years But they still run charters out of Venice La and apparently pull big blues and whites on the regular. Othe rfishing opportunities out of Venice are insane both inshore and offshore.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a blue marlin then I would suggest going to the Outer Banks, NC. Terrific fishing there for all billfish, tuna, dolphin, wahoo. Some of the best captains & mates in the world fish out of Oregon Inlet, NC.

The only billfish I would go to Florida (and I live here) to target would be sailfish or daytime swordfishing. The sailfish season is from November to February and is best off SE Florida. For the swordfish, I can connect you with captains in Destin and Islamorada.

If you want to target marlin, your best bet would be going to Tropic Star Lodge in Panama. I've fished various places in Costa Rica, the USVI, but even the captains will tell you Panama is the best. I have many friends in Florida who are avid saltwater fishermen, both inshore and offshore, and when they really want to catch marlin, that's where they go:

Last edited:

yfarm

WKR
Blues are rare off Florida, sails are plentiful in the winter as noted above. Son and I fished Key West hard for 5 years and caught one blue in the winter. I lived there and he in Miami so fished most weekends all winter.
There is a run of blues in the se Bahamas in June (San Salvador or Cat Cay)
July and August off coastal bend of Texas we catch whites almost every trip and a nice blue every other trip
Bump trolling live blackfins around deep water floaters(oil rigs) off Texas and La is a pretty reliable fishery in the summer
Fished Guatemala few years ago caught 124 Sails in 3 days, fished for blues one day further out and caught a nice blue as well as sails
Costa Rica has a good sailfish fishery, blues are more rare.
Panama gives you the opportunity of blacks as well as blues
Kona in July is great for blues as well as spearfish. Nice thing there is the lures go in as you leave the harbor.
Cabo has blues in July thru October, Striped in the winter

PNWGATOR

WKR
Ditto the Panama recommendation. If I were to book a fishing trip today based off of the research I’ve done it’d be with these guys:

Tropic Star Lodge is another solid recommendation.

Oregon

WKR
Send me a PM if you truly want a blue. If it's a bucket list, please let me know when your vacation is.
Not a single person on the planet goes to Florida to catch a blue. No one. Yes, it's a long shot, but not expected

if you want to catch a pelagic, watch the water temps and gulf stream. blues go past Florida but they don't stay long enough, they follow the big bait. when the tuna are there, they will be there. if your vacation is Florida I would highly recommend sailfish and tarpon. sails I believe are the most acrobatic of the billfish and offer consistent fun. same with tarpon. cant help with charters, i use to just rent a boat and go.

Hatteras NC for the east coast but the bill fish guys I know all rave about the Dominican Republic.

Check out Pirates cove, outer banks N.C. Fished out of there twice first time for sails done well, the second time took my granddaughter out she caught her fist white marlin as well as my best friend took one, we were fishing a makeup charter two other guys on the trip caught blue Marlin, so they are there, we also caught a bunch of nice Mahi. Can't afford the far-off places but the fishing off the outer banks is very good. These trips were the end of July to the first part of August.

Billinsd

WKR
San Diego was off the charts last couple years. My neighbor goes with his buddy and shares with me. Blue fine tasts great. I've been real busy, but already thinking. Blue Fin Tuna that is....

Sorry to highjack DeadWood’s thread, but what about the charter fishing off of Galveston in beginning of June? Cause that’s where we will be first two weeks in June? Gotta get to some salt water after this long winter.