BOAL'D Case Files, The Conclusion

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Good insight ^^ If there is a heartbeat and blood pressure, there will be trauma, bruising and bloodshot. If a wound is post Mortem, the entrance will look “too clean.” The hole will look like it was made with a hole punch. There will be no discoloration around the hole, no bruising, no dark bloodshot, etc. The coloration directly around the hole will look the exact same as the tissue that is further away from the hole.
One of the reasons I asked is because my daughter shot a big bull with a ML a few years ago. He was still alive and trying to get up, so she shot him again right behind the shoulder, double lung shot from about 40 yards. When I walked up on him his head fully dropped and then he was done. I looked around for the entrance wound and couldn't find it, not a drop of blood. I had to run my hand over the hide to feel for the hole, which I eventually found.

When we skinned that side, there was the hole.......a perfect .50 cal hole through the rib cage area with no signs of blood or trauma anywhere around on the outside of it......just a perfect hole. Now I'm sure the inside looked a bit different, but from the outside it all looked the same as the rest of the rib cage.

Guilty party aplogize. Not gonna happen.

Best we could do is call the school district he works for and point out the criminal charges for wanton waste of wildlife are ironic for an AG teacher.....

I’m all for roasting the dude brutally and often but going to employer is a bit much.

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I’m all for roasting the dude brutally and often but going to employer is a bit much.

Respectfully disagree.
teachers and law enforcement quite frankly are and should be held to higher standards.
I wouldnt want him teaching my children.
The fact he was trying to be an "influncer" already put him a couple notches down to start with.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
OP, what was the defendants “excuse”? Did he stick to the “I shot it and killed it” or did he confess that he found it dead and was such a worthless piece of shit he couldn’t help himself? I bet his wife sure is proud of him…
Do you realize how many animals get shot every year and are never recovered by the original shooter? It's a lot. Heck, one of my buddies found three this year......even a 6x6 bull. None were salvagable for meat or cape by the time they were found. But......when you walk up on a dead animal that's fresh, do you ignore it and move on because you assume the shooter will be along shortly? Do you break it down and cape it to save the meat and cape just in case he comes along? Do you leave a note at the carcass in case the shooter eventually finds it?

Now obviously this guy just took the cape, antlers, and a little bit of meat. That was a big mistake. He could (and should) have completely broken down the buck, and could have packed it all out in one load. Now, how he addressed it after that should have been his defining moment. But he chose the wanton waste defining character.......which lends me to believe that he did indeed watch and see the whole thing transpire, including the OP pulling out in the dark. Then jumped at the chance of finding the buck first. That's just my opinion.

I lost a bull this year, and he was a good one, a really good one. I had what I saw as a clear broadside shot to the vitals at 45 yards and released the arrow. Immediately I saw some yellow aspen leaves move as I heard my arrow hitting them. The bull was standing a few yards on the other side of them and immediately hunched up. I'd always heard when an animal hunches up that it's a gut shot. I watched the bull walk off about 20 yards while I nocked another arrow, then he turned so I could see his side and I could see the entrance wound pretty much where I was aiming. Then he kept walking and disappeared over a drop off. I assumed that he followed his cows, but also expected him to fall over quickly based on the placement of the wound I saw.

I called for my buddy and waited. The I went down to look for blood and my arrow........I found neither. But after awhile I ended up bumping that bull.......I had no idea that he almost immediately bedded as soon as he dropped below where I could see. I watched as he ran off into a bottom, and then backed completely out until morning. We found very little blood for the location of the wound....should have been a double lung. The only thing I could figure was the arrow got deflected enough that maybe the nock end kicked left and then the arrow ended up angling into the bull and went into the guts instead without an exit wound. There was no arrow sticking out of the wound except "maybe" an inch or two at most as there definitely wasn't any longer length sticking out. And we never did find the arrow in very clear dirt and rocky ground.

We searched for three days, trying like crazy to find birds etc, but never found the bull. I'm pretty sure he's laying out there somewhere, and someone is going to find a great set of antlers some day.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I haven't been following this to close. will there be a readers digest version posted at the conclusion, or will there ever be conclusion?

One of the reasons I asked is because my daughter shot a big bull with a ML a few years ago. He was still alive and trying to get up, so she shot him again right behind the shoulder, double lung shot from about 40 yards. When I walked up on him his head fully dropped and then he was done. I looked around for the entrance wound and couldn't find it, not a drop of blood. I had to run my hand over the hide to feel for the hole, which I eventually found.

When we skinned that side, there was the hole.......a perfect .50 cal hole through the rib cage area with no signs of blood or trauma anywhere around on the outside of it......just a perfect hole. Now I'm sure the inside looked a bit different, but from the outside it all looked the same as the rest of the rib cage.

I have had GW tell me they can identify the difference between a muzzleloader and a high powered rifle hole.

Don't know if it's true, at least anymore with high velocity smokeless powder and more modern bullets, cam definitely see it with actual BP and conical lead bullets.

Do you realize how many animals get shot every year and are never recovered by the original shooter? It's a lot. Heck, one of my buddies found three this year......even a 6x6 bull. None were salvagable for meat or cape by the time they were found. But......when you walk up on a dead animal that's fresh, do you ignore it and move on because you assume the shooter will be along shortly? Do you break it down and cape it to save the meat and cape just in case he comes along? Do you leave a note at the carcass in case the shooter eventually finds it?

Now obviously this guy just took the cape, antlers, and a little bit of meat. That was a big mistake. He could (and should) have completely broken down the buck, and could have packed it all out in one load. Now, how he addressed it after that should have been his defining moment. But he chose the wanton waste defining character.......which lends me to believe that he did indeed watch and see the whole thing transpire, including the OP pulling out in the dark. Then jumped at the chance of finding the buck first. That's just my opinion.

I lost a bull this year, and he was a good one, a really good one. I had what I saw as a clear broadside shot to the vitals at 45 yards and released the arrow. Immediately I saw some yellow aspen leaves move as I heard my arrow hitting them. The bull was standing a few yards on the other side of them and immediately hunched up. I'd always heard when an animal hunches up that it's a gut shot. I watched the bull walk off about 20 yards while I nocked another arrow, then he turned so I could see his side and I could see the entrance wound pretty much where I was aiming. Then he kept walking and disappeared over a drop off. I assumed that he followed his cows, but also expected him to fall over quickly based on the placement of the wound I saw.

I called for my buddy and waited. The I went down to look for blood and my arrow........I found neither. But after awhile I ended up bumping that bull.......I had no idea that he almost immediately bedded as soon as he dropped below where I could see. I watched as he ran off into a bottom, and then backed completely out until morning. We found very little blood for the location of the wound....should have been a double lung. The only thing I could figure was the arrow got deflected enough that maybe the nock end kicked left and then the arrow ended up angling into the bull and went into the guts instead without an exit wound. There was no arrow sticking out of the wound except "maybe" an inch or two at most as there definitely wasn't any longer length sticking out. And we never did find the arrow in very clear dirt and rocky ground.

We searched for three days, trying like crazy to find birds etc, but never found the bull. I'm pretty sure he's laying out there somewhere, and someone is going to find a great set of antlers some day.

I think that varies state by state. In my state it is illegal to pick up dead heads, I think it's also illegal to claim possession of a carcass, you could put a tag on it, nobody is going to know, however I think it's still technically illegal. Roadkill needs to have a check card written with it, can't just pick it up.

In CO deadheads are no issue, however you can't have them in my home state without a tag. A friend found a 6 point dead head about 5 years ago, he went to a local CPW office and had them write a statement for the head so he could bring it home.

Trackselk

WKR
What I want to know is, did he go back to his people (social media, co workers, sponsors(?) And claim that he killed that buck? If he did, wow, he's going to live a life of shame! If he didn't, then he's a little smarter than we expected. I guess he might have caught wind of the investigation before he had a chance to (falsely) gloat...

What I want to know is, did he go back to his people (social media, co workers, sponsors(?) And claim that he killed that buck? If he did, wow, he's going to live a life of shame! If he didn't, then he's a little smarter than we expected. I guess he might have caught wind of the investigation before he had a chance to (falsely) gloat...

Been wondering this too.

Tho as great and powerful as we like to think RS is, I don't know if it's really reaching the masses.

I think his gram account had like 50 likes on the pictures, so not like it's particularly blowing up there either.

Wondered if that initial time frame before the ethics thread started had allowed any of that to happen.

Been wondering this too.

Tho as great and powerful as we like to think RS is, I don't know if it's really reaching the masses.

I think his gram account had like 50 likes on the pictures, so not like it's particularly blowing up there either.

Wondered if that initial time frame before the ethics thread started had allowed any of that to happen.

41VdklwP9XL._AC_UX425_.jpg

Been wondering this too.

I couldn’t even find him on there when I tried searching his name. Did he nuke his account?