Boot selection is driving me crazy

Selecting a pair of boots for my Eastern Wyoming pronghorn hunt is going to drive me to drinking.

I’ve never hunted out west and I’ve never owned a pair of “high end” boots. That said I’ve tried on the following:

* Crispi Briksdale Pro GTX - Way too stiff. Not comfortable to me in the 15 minutes I wore them in the store.

* Crispi Guide GTX - Much more comfortable but seems to have a really flat footbed.

Kennetrek Mountain Extreme Uninsulated - About the same feel as the Crispi Guides but with more arch support.

*****Note - I have flat feet so I don’t know of the high arch is recommended or not*****

Others I’m considering but have not tried on:

* Crispi Nevada GTX

* Kennetrek Corrie II Hiker

* Zamberlan Storm Pro GTX

* Zamberlan Lynx Mid GTX

* Schnee’s Beartooth 200G

* Schnee’s Timberline

(I am a bit nervous about not being able to see/try on the Schnee’s in person).

I know each person’s foot is going to be different but all of this is new to me.

Any personal experience feedback would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Crispi Colorado’s might be a good choice for you. I prefer Meindl boots. They have some higher stiff boots and lower 7”-8” boots as well. Their comfort fit series has a wider toe box while all their other lines have a standard width. My comfort fit hunters just came in the mail a few weeks ago and I really like them. Before that I always bought their Perfekt hiker brand from Cabela’s. Now I just go directly to Meindl USA.

I have flat feet but use custom made orthotics that DRs make up. Kinda like sheep feet.

I love the Schnees Beartooth. I’m pretty confident you can send them back if they don’t fit. Or order two pairs (one size up and down) and return pair that doesn’t fit.

They fit spot on for the shoe size I always wear in everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
You’re really planning to spend $400+ for boots just for an antelope hunt?

I’m gonna be honest and tell you that there is no reason you need to spend any amount of money for specialized mountain hunting boots for an antelope hunt. Literally wear your tennis shoes or whatever else you have. Not trying to be a jerk but that’s the reality of the situation. Antelope country isn’t rugged mountainous terrain, it’s grassland sage country…

Selecting a pair of boots for my Eastern Wyoming pronghorn hunt is going to drive me to drinking.

It shouldn't. Pretty simple process, really. Go to a local retailer and try on different brands, styles and designs, and then settle on something. It ain't brain surgery.

JFK

WKR
I haven’t worn any of the boots on your list, but currently wear Meindl and have been very happy with them. Great quality, super comfortable and cost a little less than some other brands.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
This may get hate, bc it goes against the grain of the cool RS gear-dos.
Salomon's or Merrill's are my go to. They are what I ran around in be-bopping around in the sand-box and they are awesome. Affordable (comparatively), comfy, and they do last (regardless of what is said on here, I doubt the guy who goes sheep/ elk hunting once a year climbed more mountains and rocky slopes than I did in one of my years of living dangerously). I've had my current pair Merrill's since 2018, and Salomon's since 2020 and they are still good. For an Antelope hunt with a lot of walking, I would go with a good, light, walking boot. Honestly in the last 5 years of hunting, all I end up wearing for boots are my work boots (old pair of Rocky S2Vs, Danners) and good socks (Darn Tough only for these tootsies).

TxLite

WKR
The last 3 seasons I’ve worn the Timberlines here in Texas for general purpose hunting boots (wt, axis, hogs, dove), they came with me to Colorado last year for elk, and plan to bring them with me to eastern Wyoming for Antelope this year. They’ve been an awesome boot for me, even though they are probably a bit more than is necessary for my average hunting. As was stated above, I think if they don’t fit right Schnees will take them back but might be worth calling to discuss with them first.

Also had a set of merrel Moab 2’s before the Schnees and they were great as well, just didn’t last as long as I was hoping and were not very water tight for that early morning dew. Very comfortable though for hiking and only $130 at REI when I got them.

Reactions: WKB
OP
Mike D Texas
For pronghorn, just wear whatever you wear here in TX

You bring up a good point. However here in Texas up until it finally gets cold in December I wear snake boots and the guide said we will probably be walking a fair amount and recommended not to wear them. I haven’t worn a “regular” pair of hinting boots in at least 15 years.

OP
Mike D Texas
I have flat feet but use custom made orthotics that DRs make up. Kinda like sheep feet.

I love the Schnees Beartooth. I’m pretty confident you can send them back if they don’t fit. Or order two pairs (one size up and down) and return pair that doesn’t fit.

They fit spot on for the shoe size I always wear in everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn’t thought about custom orthotics, thanks for the idea.

OP
Mike D Texas
You’re really planning to spend $400+ for boots just for an antelope hunt?

I’m gonna be honest and tell you that there is no reason you need to spend any amount of money for specialized mountain hunting boots for an antelope hunt. Literally wear your tennis shoes or whatever else you have. Not trying to be a jerk but that’s the reality of the situation. Antelope country isn’t rugged mountainous terrain, it’s grassland sage country…

To clarify, this won’t be a one and done hunt. I plan to spend the next 10 years or so hunting out West marking off bucket list hunts for pronghorn, mule deer and elk for my wife and I in alternating seasons. Plus nothing says I couldn’t wear them in Texas while hunting here.

OP
Mike D Texas
It shouldn't. Pretty simple process, really. Go to a local retailer and try on different brands, styles and designs, and then settle on something. It ain't brain surgery.

That’s in the process but really here there is not a lot of retailer options.

OP
Mike D Texas
This may get hate, bc it goes against the grain of the cool RS gear-dos.
Salomon's or Merrill's are my go to. They are what I ran around in be-bopping around in the sand-box and they are awesome. Affordable (comparatively), comfy, and they do last (regardless of what is said on here, I doubt the guy who goes sheep/ elk hunting once a year climbed more mountains and rocky slopes than I did in one of my years of living dangerously). I've had my current pair Merrill's since 2018, and Salomon's since 2020 and they are still good. For an Antelope hunt with a lot of walking, I would go with a good, light, walking boot. Honestly in the last 5 years of hunting, all I end up wearing for boots are my work boots (old pair of Rocky S2Vs, Danners) and good socks (Darn Tough only for these tootsies).

I have also considered the Salomon Quest 4 GT. I just haven’t tried them on yet.

OP
Mike D Texas
Thanks for everyone’s input. And sorry about quoting individually. The multi quote function doesn’t seem to be working right now.

I'm guessing you already went to Scheels?

Definitely hit up REI and try the various Salomon options-- they offer a lot of comfort, decent price, but you will wear them out in a few seasons.

I have two pairs of Crispi's now and have enjoyed them so that would be my vote for a longer term solution.

One of the best out of the box boots I had was a set of Vasque Breeze LT GTX-- there was no break in required (long story) but I put a bunch of miles on them in colorado out of the box with zero issues.

The mesh parts however did not last two full seasons between CO, WY, West Texas and all the rocks.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
Crispi lapponia would be my choice. I prefer some leather in antelope country to help with cactus. As others have said, not punishing terrain, so anything comfortable would work, I wouldn’t wear a stiff boot for that hunt.

OP
Mike D Texas
Crispi lapponia would be my choice. I prefer some leather in antelope country to help with cactus. As others have said, not punishing terrain, so anything comfortable would work, I wouldn’t wear a stiff boot for that hunt.

Our guide recommended full leather as well for the same reason. That’s one reason I’ve shied away from the Salomons so far.

OP
Mike D Texas
I ended up buying a pair of Zamberlan Lynx boots without the BOA system.

The BOA system seems convenient and is certainly quick to put on/take off but you can’t customize the tightening of the laces and I wonder about long term durability.