Boots [emoji3067]

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
Being new to this page I’m sure there are hundreds of “boot” threads. No I haven’t looked. Looking for a boot for Colorado late October. I have no problem spending the money on quality products but is it really worth spending $400 for boots that I will only wear once a year!?!? I’ll keep from mentioning all the top dollar brands cause I’m sure y’all know them. Yes I’ve researched them all. Dropping down a couple “$bills$”, I’ve also looked at Danner, Irish Setter, and Lacrosse. Are these worth taking a second look at? If so which are recommended? Or should I pony up? And I guess you can’t predict the future so I was thinking of purchasing insulated and non. Thanks for all the help gentlemen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Depends on elevation and terrain where you are hunting. There is a "footwear" section to these forums with a lot of good info.

You get a cheap pair of boots and do a lot of side hilling in steep country you will regret that decision.

Next to optics , Boots are very important. Depends on what kind of hunting you are going to do.
if you are a road hunter boots are not so important. If you are planning on getting out there and hiking
with a lot of moving the $400 is the best investment you can make as your feet are very important.
When you get blisters or sore feet your hunt is over.....I would spend money on good boots before I would buy Sitka , Kryptek or expensive camo....

I love Irish setter boots for comfort and wear. I have a pair that have lasted me 10 season now that are comfortable, warm and great.

Wapiti1

WKR
Danner Powderhorn is a decent boot. Elk trackers from Irish Setter are also good boots. Some folks like Danner Pronghorns. I haven't worn them, though.

Do you need $400 boots. No. Buy something with at fairly stiff sole, and good ankle support.

Jeremy

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
They are low end as some of these names go bit ive had good luck with Rocky Boots. They make a really wide boot and I have a hard time finding a boot that will fit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CJohnson

WKR
I use danner pronghorns and don’t have any trouble. In all fairness, I’ve never had a high dollar set though.

rambo2345

WKR
I would pony up and have a great pair of boots for many seasons. There are numerous quality bootmakers, Crispi, Lowa, Kennetrek, Scarpa to name just a few of them. You will not be sorry if you purchase a quality pair that fit you.

wyosam

WKR
If you’re an active hunter, I wouldn’t bother with the insulated ones. Good hunting boots that will make your feet happy in the mountains are probably going to take some breaking in. I live in one of the coldest parts of the country, I love late season cow hunts, frequently in temps down below zero, and I don’t own a pair of insulated hunting boots. If you’re mostly active, and you keep your core warm, your feet should be fine in October temps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
Boots are important and can ruin a hunt quick. Price can't be too large of a factor in your head. Spend some time trying them on and decide what fits best. Select the appropriate style boot to try on. I'd be looking for something reasonably stiff and waterproof with insulation. Try them on with the socks you want to hunt in and realize they will likely break in after several hikes. Usually the stiffer the boot the longer break in.

All feet are different so start looking for something designed for your foot shape.

Depends on what kind of hunting you'll be doing.
Backpacking into some steep, rugged country?
Yeah, pony up, buy the boots ASAP and get them broken in.

I'd personally stay away from the Irish setter "elk trackers" if you plan on anything more than walking a trail.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I wear Danners every day at work. I could walk many miles a day in them as long as I'm on flat ground with no extra weight. When I'm on steep terrain, i want a footbed that keeps my feet in place to prevent hot spots. I also prefer a stiffer sole when carrying weight because it seems like it forces my legs to use the upper muscles and my feet and calves don't fatigue so easily. Maybe it's mental but IMO, it's worth the extra money. I like my Kenetreks.

Clrems77

WKR
I recently updated my post from 5 months ago on the Schenee Beartooths ive been using. If your looking to get boots for this season, the break in period can be an issue. The Schenee beartooths really didnt take any break in and were awesome right out of the box. Highly highly recommend them.Their staff with put you into the right boot with excellent customer service!!!

stdeb11

FNG
Another vote for Schnees Beartooth. Picked up some in July after my miendls unexpectedly bit the dust. Break in was minimal and been super happy with the 30ish miles I have on them so far. Their customer service was great as well.

Boots are like guns or bows to hunters or trucks to Texans, every one has their preference and no one can go off a others preference for their own.
Think of it this way, you said boots are worn once a year...do you only hunt one day a year (if we are lucky right). Finding a pair of boots that work for you is tough, but finding a pair that fits you isn’t as tough, just requires some work on your end. I have found meindl boots fit my feet really well, and many other high end brands would not fit the bill, but that’s just my feet. You need to do your work and find what works for your feet. Might be a cheaper pair of boots but might not. Try not to think of boots as one size fits all. Think of boots as a choice on wife...you need to be comfortable in them for at least a while every year and be able to say that’s as good as it gets. If you can’t do that, keep looking.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
... is it really worth spending $400 for boots that I will only wear once a year!?!?

No, $400 isn’t necessary. The amount of money you spend on a boot has nothing to do with if they will work best for you. Can you imagine how anybody walked anywhere in the mountains 100’s of years ago? To be fair though, I bet those pioneers, soldiers or mountain men would have paid their day’s equivalent to $400 for sweet boots. They did spend more that one week on their feet though.

If you break in your feet and your mid-priced boots of choice you should be fine for all but the most rugged endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maki35

WKR
If you're going to be doing a lot of walking and the terrain/ weather can get a bit nasty at times I would take the plunge and get the better boots.

If you hunt down South where it's warm and flat, you can probably get away with wearing any boot.

Last edited: