Bought my first montana preference point

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
Preference points in Montana are not the same as in Wyoming but I assume you know that. Pretty sure you have to apply in Montana 2024 or you will lose that preference point you just bought. Montana Bonus points carry over year to year and go on sale in July.

Afhunter1

WKR
IMG_5849.png
There is always a chance to draw even though last 2 years nobody did draw at 1. This year might be the year. All I’m saying is he has to put in or he loses his point.

OP
J

johnbow

FNG
Well I guess I'm out a 100 dollars unless I don't draw wy general with 5 points then I'll try to draw in montana in 24. I can only do 1 elk hunt a year and going to wyoming in 24 if possible.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Well I guess I'm out a 100 dollars unless I don't draw wy general with 5 points then I'll try to draw in montana in 24. I can only do 1 elk hunt a year and going to wyoming in 24 if possible.
Let me help ya out, if you already bought a PP(2023) and don’t wanna hunt MT in 2024, apply with only your one PP in 2024 and you shouldn’t draw(0% last year) then buy one when you apply apply in 2025 and go in with your 2 PP and no you can’t buy one in the summer to go in with 3 PP because you applied in 2024. Keep in mind you will eat 30-40$ in fees when you apply and don’t draw but keep your 100$ PP.

IdahoBeav

WKR
"Accumulated preference points will be used during the current drawing whether you purchase an additional preference point or not. Any accumulated preference points are lost if the applicant does not apply for a Nonresident Combination License in consecutive years, or if you are successful at obtaining a combination license."

OP
J

johnbow

FNG
Let me help ya out, if you already bought a PP(2023) and don’t wanna hunt MT in 2024, apply with only your one PP in 2024 and you shouldn’t draw(0% last year) then buy one when you apply apply in 2025 and go in with your 2 PP and no you can’t buy one in the summer to go in with 3 PP because you applied in 2024. Keep in mind you will eat 30-40$ in fees when you apply and don’t draw but keep your 100$ PP.
Thanks so much. This is what I'll do!

jkilburg

FNG

He can elect a PP in the 2024 draw when he’s unsuccessful, but if he doesn’t select it during the draw in 2024, then he can’t buy one later.

I’m at 2 PP, but our group went to ID this year to guarantee a tag. So this year we’re devising a plan on how to apply as a group in MT to satisfy the every other year application requirement (dumbest rule by the way), and not draw. As long as we as a group average out to be less than 1.8 PP, we’re golden. And FYI, I spoke to MT Game and Fish 4 weeks ago, the odds for MT 2 PP will go down slightly due to changes this past year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk