Bought my first montana preference point

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
He can elect a PP in the 2024 draw when he’s unsuccessful, but if he doesn’t select it during the draw in 2024, then he can’t buy one later.

I’m at 2 PP, but our group went to ID this year to guarantee a tag. So this year we’re devising a plan on how to apply as a group in MT to satisfy the every other year application requirement (dumbest rule by the way), and not draw. As long as we as a group average out to be less than 1.8 PP, we’re golden. And FYI, I spoke to MT Game and Fish 4 weeks ago, the odds for MT 2 PP will go down slightly due to changes this past year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you’re saying what I said just differently? Or am I missing something haha and yeah I agree the odds of 2pp should go down I would guess. Good luck finding some poor folks with zero points to send game and fish $1K to wait for your paper check in the mail haha

Scoot

WKR
Question for the MT experts here-- I thought (probably erroneously) that pref points counted for the year you purchased them (meaning if I went into 2024 with no previous pref points and got a pref point when applying, that pref point would count for that application). Is that not true? I that was the case for pref points, but not bonus points. But... I've been wrong before...

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Your right, since it is Montana game and fish we’re talking, you still might draw with 1 point.
Indeed I did draw a gen tag with 1 point. Applied alone thinking there was no way I'd be drawn, so of course I was the only one in my party with a tag...

Question for the MT experts here-- I thought (probably erroneously) that pref points counted for the year you purchased them (meaning if I went into 2024 with no previous pref points and got a pref point when applying, that pref point would count for that application). Is that not true? I that was the case for pref points, but not bonus points. But... I've been wrong before...
You are right. You can purchase a preference point when you apply and go into the draw with that point. If you do not apply, then you can also buy a preference point later in the year.

fatlander

WKR
He can elect a PP in the 2024 draw when he’s unsuccessful, but if he doesn’t select it during the draw in 2024, then he can’t buy one later.

I’m at 2 PP, but our group went to ID this year to guarantee a tag. So this year we’re devising a plan on how to apply as a group in MT to satisfy the every other year application requirement (dumbest rule by the way), and not draw. As long as we as a group average out to be less than 1.8 PP, we’re golden. And FYI, I spoke to MT Game and Fish 4 weeks ago, the odds for MT 2 PP will go down slightly due to changes this past year.

Just an FYI, whoever you apply with decides if you all buy preference points or not. If the first person in the party buys a point, everyone in the party must buy a point. If the first person doesn’t buy a point, no one can. My group tried to devise a way to satisfy the requirement last year and we found that out during the application process. MT built that into the application system, presumably to keep people from doing what you’re trying to do. Good luck.

Doing the same. We have friends and family in Montana, and just want to be able to have a hunt with them every other year or so if that's possible. Shooting for '25 as well.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Indeed I did draw a gen tag with 1 point. Applied alone thinking there was no way I'd be drawn, so of course I was the only one in my party with a tag...
I figured there was more people that did, also had a buddy draw with 1, he called and got a full refund in the middle of the season lol, bet the 600+ people that didn’t draw with 2 PP would be happy to hear that.

Scoot

WKR
You are right. You can purchase a preference point when you apply and go into the draw with that point. If you do not apply, then you can also buy a preference point later in the year.
So if I purchase a pref point this coming December and buy a pref point when I apply next year, that will put me in the 2 pref point pool correct for next year's application, correct?

Riplip

WKR
So if I purchase a pref point this coming December and buy a pref point when I apply next year, that will put me in the 2 pref point pool correct for next year's application, correct?

Correct, If you don't apply this year, you can then buy a point later in the year and another point at time of application in 25' and you will have two going into draw.

jkilburg

FNG
Just an FYI, whoever you apply with decides if you all buy preference points or not. If the first person in the party buys a point, everyone in the party must buy a point. If the first person doesn’t buy a point, no one can. My group tried to devise a way to satisfy the requirement last year and we found that out during the application process. MT built that into the application system, presumably to keep people from doing what you’re trying to do. Good luck.

The preference point purchase within the Montana application is post draw results from what I remember. I don’t remember being able to purchase a preference point as part of the application and apply it to that draw; it was only received if unsuccessful in the draw.

Montana does a lot of dumb shit when it comes to wildlife management, but “apply or lose your points” with nonresident combination tags was by far the smartest thing they have ever done.

For the first time in history, point creep might go the other direction this year for Montana. For those of us who actually like to hunt instead of collecting points, that’s a good thing.

If you know how the regs are written and can do a little basic planning, the points system works just as intended for once.

Last edited:

Riplip

WKR
The preference point purchase within the Montana application is post draw results from what I remember. I don’t remember being able to purchase a preference point as part of the application and apply it to that draw; it was only received if unsuccessful in the draw.

Two options for preference points, one is at the time of draw and will be used for that application. The other option is to purchase a point later in the year (Sept - Dec), although to do so you cannot have applied earlier in the year.

fatlander

WKR

You most certainly can buy a point at the time of application.

Here’s a screenshot of what the MT system kicked out at us last spring. Our plan was for one guy with 2 points was trying to apply with someone that had zero, so they’d average one and not draw. No dice.

a1eb03e9bab03457f4591930b58aa754.jpg

jkilburg

FNG
Two options for preference points, one is at the time of draw and will be used for that application. The other option is to purchase a point later in the year (Sept - Dec), although to do so you cannot have applied earlier in the year.

I interpreted this as not be applicable to the same year application, but I see it is worded slightly different.

jkilburg

FNG
You most certainly can buy a point at the time of application.

Here’s a screenshot of what the MT system kicked out at us last spring. Our plan was for one guy with 2 points was trying to apply with someone that had zero, so they’d average one and not draw. No dice.

a1eb03e9bab03457f4591930b58aa754.jpg

I know everyone’s preference must match, that was a given. Did you guys apply at all or no? We’re applying to satisfy Montana, but have a person who has zero points with us, so our average will not yield us a draw.

fatlander

WKR
I know everyone’s preference must match, that was a given. Did you guys apply at all or no?

It’s actually not a given. Nowhere in the state code or the published regulations does it say everyone in a party’s choice to buy or not buy preference points has to match.

Riplip

WKR
It’s actually not a given. Nowhere in the state code or the published regulations does it say everyone in a party’s choice to buy or not buy preference points has to match.

Rule 12.3.602 Party Applications

(5) The party establisher will create the party's hunting districts, bonus point enrollment, outfitter preference point, and preference point enrollment for the entire party. Any member applying under different designations will be removed from the party and will be entered into the drawing individually.

fatlander

WKR
Rule 12.3.602 Party Applications

(5) The party establisher will create the party's hunting districts, bonus point enrollment, outfitter preference point, and preference point enrollment for the entire party. Any member applying under different designations will be removed from the party and will be entered into the drawing individually.

I stand corrected. Last year we searched high and low for that language and it wasn’t available.

Riplip

WKR
I stand corrected. Last year we searched high and low for that language and it wasn’t available.

They certainly don't make it easy. You would think this would be something that they would want to make clear at time of application as it causes issues every year.