Bow Re-stringing

Sherman

WKR
My two oldest sons (14 & 13) were gifted compound bows by some of my buddies that upgraded their systems. One is a Matthews and the other is a Bowtech. They are nicer entry level bows and for the price (FREE) they are even better. When given to me they both said that they need to be re-strung. I have zero experience/knowledge about all things archery (I hope to change that soon) and was hoping for some insight. I have been told that places like Sportsman’s Warehouse, Scheels, etc., are fine for re-stringing and tuning while others have told me to stay away from the big retailers.

I live in Fort Morgan, Colorado, so any recommendations you may have along the 25 corridor would also be helpful. If one of the larger retailers are fine, I would like to hear that as well.

I would like to get this done asap to get them proficient prior to archery season next fall. My oldest son got a Kifaru pack system for Christmas he is dying to pack meat out with.

Thanks in advance.

OR Archer

WKR
Go to a reputable shop. I’ve lost count of all the messed up bows from Cabelas and Sportsman’s alike that I’ve had to totally redo. Find a shop that’ll work with your boys on some shooting form etc along with restringing the bows. It’ll be better for you and them in the long run.

If you don't mind driving to Denver, I'd recommend RMS Gear. They're best known for traditional bows, but they work with compounds too. Might as well make a day of it and take a shooting lesson while you're there. The Clums are great people and will treat you right.

Depending on the design of the bow and the draw length of the previous owner, you may need to get different cams or modules to get the bows to fit your boys. If it's going to be a significant drive to wherever you end up going, I'd recommend calling in advance and discussing what you need because the shop may not have the correct string/cable set or cams/modules (if necessary) on the shelf.

Trial153

WKR
If you were in my neck of the woods I would do it for your kids for nothing.

Good on you getting them into archery

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
Thanks for the advice and recommendations. I really do appreciate it. I will be getting in touch with the archery shops mentioned after we get all the power restored to the Boulder area. Good info about the draw length and having the cams replaced. That never crossed my mind. That’s why I love you guys and this forum.