Bow Scale Reading Low

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, maybe a naieve question. I just got a last chance 2.0 scale for my homemade draw board. It’s reading 68 pounds with limb bolts absolutely right. Factory said 73.5 when I bought the bow. Why would this be other than scale is inaccurate? I back limb bolts out 5 turns which should equate to 5 pounds and it reads 63 lbs on the scale. A dumbbell reads dead on. So why would scale read 68 pounds when limb bolts are maxed out and read exact weight of the dumbbell?

tunafed

FNG
Just recently got the same scale. When I picked up my bow I watched on their scale(mechanical) pull 73-74. Last chance scale shows 69ish. On my 60 pound bow it reads 56. I just took it with a grain of salt

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OR Archer

WKR
Ok, maybe a naieve question. I just got a last chance 2.0 scale for my homemade draw board. It’s reading 68 pounds with limb bolts absolutely right. Factory said 73.5 when I bought the bow. Why would this be other than scale is inaccurate? I back limb bolts out 5 turns which should equate to 5 pounds and it reads 63 lbs on the scale. A dumbbell reads dead on. So why would scale read 68 pounds when limb bolts are maxed out and read exact weight of the dumbbell?
How long have you had the bow now? Could be a simple case of cable stretch affecting your peak poundage.

Trial153

WKR
The scale may very well read low. However just because your limbs are maxed out doesn't mean that its making weight. You might need to add a few twists to your cables to get you bow up to max weight.

If you test the scale with a dummy weight and its correct most likely you need to get the bow into spec to get it up to max weight.

OP
S

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
How long have you had the bow now? Could be a simple case of cable stretch affecting your peak poundage.
2 years this spring. I wondered if that would be possible. New string and cables on order. Trying to decide which set to go with.

OR Archer

WKR
Like Trial said if it reads true with a set weight then your bow is slightly out of spec. A fresh set of strings or just twisting your current ones back into spec should solve your issues.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many times the scale is more accurate on the lower end and less on the higher end. You need to weigh about 70 pounds of good weights and see if you scale reads 70.

I have one too. Mine is not consistent and pretty much only gives me a "ball park" idea of peak weight. I should have gone with the old reliable hanging scales.

OP
S

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
Many times the scale is more accurate on the lower end and less on the higher end. You need to weigh about 70 pounds of good weights and see if you scale reads 70.
Ok so here’s what’s crazy. I took the scale into the weight room this morning. I weighed a 70 lb dumbbell and it showed 75 lbs on the scale. Weighed a 60 lb dumbbell and it showed 65 on the scale. So on a static weight like a dumbbell at heavier weights it’s showing 5 lbs heavy. On a 25 lb dumbbell it was reading right on. I give up.

It's funny this thread just appeared. I shipped my handheld LCA HS2 scale back to Last Chance archery two days ago for a recalibration.

My new 70# Bowtech Realm was tagged by Bowtech at 71#. With tight limb bolts my scale reads 65-67#. My old 60# Bowtech Insanity, with limb bolts tightened reads 56-57#. I can't imagine twisting cables making that much of a difference on a brand new bow. But maybe it does, I'm just getting into this.

I lifted a 50# kettlebell with the scale and bootlace and could get the scale to read 50# if I was careful to lift it perfectly aligned. I could easily get the scale to read <50# by lifting with the scale at an angle. So either this is significant cosine error, the scale is off, or Bowtech measures their limbs heavy.

I'll update once I hear back from LCA.

Last edited:
OP
S

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
It's funny this thread just appeared. I shipped my handheld LCA HS2 scale back to Last Chance archery two day ago for a recalibration.

My new 70# Bowtech Realm was tagged by Bowtech at 71#. With tight limb bolts my scale reads 65-67#. My old 60# Bowtech Insanity, with limb bolts tightened reads 56-57#. I can't imagine twisting cables making that much of a difference on a brand new bow. But maybe it does, I'm just getting into this.

I lifted a 50# kettlebell with the scale and bootlace and could get the scale to read 50# if I was careful to lift it perfecting aligned. I could easily get the scale to read <50# by lifting with the scale at an angle. So either this is significant cosine error, the scale is off, or Bowtech measures their limbs heavy.

I'll update once I hear back from LCA.
Let me know what you find out! I may contact them as well.

Brendan

WKR
2 years this spring. I wondered if that would be possible. New string and cables on order. Trying to decide which set to go with.
Just so you know - I've had new strings and cables come in low almost every time. Commonplace for me to have to twist them up to get poundage where I want it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would send it back and get another one. When that comes in, compare it to what this one read. Or go with a different brand.

Off topic, but I just ordered up a set of Hogwire strings based on numerous recommendations. I called Rob with a few questions and he was awesome to deal with.

Trial153

WKR
I have calibrated load cell with my draw board, I also have the LC2, and an OM scale. I also had two American weight scales 330s.

None of them are exact except for the load cell, and even that will have slight variations .And quite frankly it doesnt make any practical difference if it reads 70 or 68.
You have to make sure your not chasing your tail with cheap scales as they are cheap for a reason.

OP
S

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
I have calibrated load cell with my draw board, I also have the LC2, and an OM scale. I also had two American weight scales 330s.

None of them are exact except for the load cell, and even that will have slight variations .And quite frankly it doesnt make any practical difference if it reads 70 or 68.
You have to make sure your not chasing your tail with cheap scales as they are cheap for a reason.
What load cell scale do you have?

Let me know what you find out! I may contact them as well.

LCA didn't provide any details on my exchange. They simply replaced the scale I sent them. The new scale reads the same, 66-67# for my 70# Bowtech. Limb bolts are tight, Bowtech signed the bow off at 71#. I'll take it to my pro shop and see what they measure/say.

I'm fine with it being 67#. I'd just like to know for future reference and for comparing to the OT2 software.

I went to my pro shop yesterday and they got 66# on their old school hanging scale. So it looks like the LCA handheld was plenty accurate enough. My limb bolts are tight, my shop confirmed.

So I've got an LCA EZ Green that I haven't even taken out of the box. I think it's time I dig in to setting up and tuning myself. If anyone has some good sources or links, please share.

87TT

WKR
So my scale (Allen) says my 70# Hoyt Pro Defiant is pulling 68.65 on the draw board with limb bolts tight. If I am correct, I need to add equal twists in the buss cable and control cable to bring it up to spec? If so how many? I guess I could do a half twist at a time and re measure. The timing is correct now and it's shooting bullet holes through paper. Sorry for the slight hijack.

?