Bringing bow and gun

Nontyp

FNG
We are heading up for a drop camp moose hunt this fall. I am a die hard bow hunter but really just love hunting. I shot a caribou this yr on the N Slope with my 6.5CM but I had also brought my bow along. When we arrived the caribou were few and far between so I left my bow at camp and rifle hunted. Now that we are going back up I want to take my bow and rifle again.

My rifle is a 6.5CM Tikka compact with a 3x9 Leupold 3. It’s a great shooter and it fits in my double SKB bow box along with my bow and a lot of gear. My caribou was at 290 yards and it was a 1 shot kill. I also killed an elk at 190yd in CO 2 yr ago. I have confidence in the 143 ELDX Hornady bullet but never shot a moose. My top priority to bow hunt but I want the ability to change over if time or if I can’t close the gap. I can carry my bow and my rifle that weighs very little can be strapped to my pack. We will have black bear tags also and I would shoot a bear with the gun as I’ve killed 2 bears with my bow.

Or just bring the 300WM. We decided to do 2 drop hunts a few yrs a part vs a guided hunt. So Lord willing this won’t be a OIL hunt

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Or leave the rifle at home........that will provide more incentive to have to get it done with the bow........or eat the tag. ;)

I'd just bowhunt but you have to make that call for yourself. The worst that can happen is you go home without a moose...with more reason to go back. Heck its very satisfying to hunt a species over a few years and several hunts before you arrow it. I've ended up having eight hunts for a species to get my first when bowhunting DIY. But ultimately it happens and you are glad you were persistent (some may say stubborn but I prefer persistent).

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Im hoping to also carry both in Newfoundland next year if they let us in. Trying to figure out how to carry both on my backpack because I prefer to hike with poles.

hodgeman

WKR
Depends on how bad you want a moose... most years, I can only get one really good opportunity at a moose.

If shooting one with a bow is important, roll the dice. If getting a moose is important...bring that 300.

cnelk

WKR
There's no shame in using a rifle on your Alaska moose hunt.

Hell, just the fact of going is more than most guys on Rokslide will ever do.

Jbehredt

WKR
Bowhunter at heart here as well. I’ve got my once in a lifetime, twice if I’m lucky griz hunt planned this fall. Was struggling to decide if it was going to be a bow or gun hunt. I took the outfitters words to heart. “If this may be your only chance to bring home a grizzly, bring a rifle.” He told me to bring both but not leave the rifle at home. Maybe if I get a second chance I’ll just bring the bow.

OP
N

Nontyp

FNG
No shame in the rifle unless you ask a few of my trad buddies. The Tikka is light enough to just strap to my pack and carry my bow in my hand. I only use my poles when packing meat out unless there are tussock, then the poles are a requirement at all times. I thought to only take my 300 and if successful then next time take only my bow.

Has anyone shot a moose with the 6.5. I’ve read about a few people doing it and that they use a 6.5 in Sweden. Is there a better bullet then the ELDX 143grain?

I’m a bow hunter so I can usually get in close to animals. A bow hunter with a rifle in his hands is a very capable predator.

cnelk

WKR
I’d get different buddies if they give you shame for using a rifle.

I carried a bow for several days when I went on my Alaska moose hunt. Ended up using a rifle.

Never a regret.

7DE9C370-2E08-4882-A9D5-093B16C0ADE1.jpeg

You REALLY need to know what you want...the most...out of the hunt. Some of us are bowhunters who would rather go home empty than pot a bull long range with a rifle. I'm decidedly not against killing moose with a rifle in any way. I just know myself well enough to understand I would not enjoy a long range type of kill. At the same time, I would gladly hunt beside someone who did. In an odd way, for me it's less about the actual weapon (my longbow) and more about getting very close to a big bull in order to kill him. I absolutely crave the experience of having a huge bull close enough to see his muscles ripple and watch his eyes move as he tries to find me. Sometimes I can smell his musk. To thump him with a solid arrow just makes the whole deal feel like I beat the odds and fully earned my kill.

If your strongest desire is to kill a bull with whatever it takes, I personally would only bring a rifle. I say this from the perspective of talking with several hunters who brought both weapons. They rightfully put more faith in the rifle and killed their bull, but later admitted they felt like they let themselves down a bit. I understand that, and also know it doesn't apply to everyone of course. I just wouldn't want to be dealing with 'which weapon?' as I go through the hunt.

Now...all that said....I've been known to bring a short-barreled .45-70 along as 1) protection and 2) a backup weapon in case something happens to my bow. It's a short-range gun in my hands, and there's no way I'd be shooting distant moose. I have considered using it the same way I would my longbow; up close and personal. Again....watching a bull tip over at two or three hundred yards isn't for me.

hodgeman

WKR
Has anyone shot a moose with the 6.5. I’ve read about a few people doing it and that they use a 6.5 in Sweden. Is there a better bullet then the ELDX 143grain? I’m a bow hunter so I can usually get in close to animals. A bow hunter with a rifle in his hands is a very capable predator.
I like the 6.5, but I believe it is on the wrong side of the line for moose. Yes, they use it in Sweden...but their moose and moose hunting don't much look like here. If I had to use my 6.5, I'd pick a tougher bullet than the ELDX...I've shot several caribou with the EDLX and it is pretty soft for something the size of a moose you'll shoot at close range. If you do use it- think like a bow hunter, shot angle will be critical.

That said, I managed my first moose with a bow this past fall. Like Kevin said, getting in close and hearing an arrow thump the ribcage and hearing a moose crash in the brush is an awesome experience in every way. While I'm not certainly not shy about shooting one with the broomstick, I'll likely use my bow again next year if I can manage it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Depends on how bad you want a moose... most years, I can only get one really good opportunity at a moose.

If shooting one with a bow is important, roll the dice. If getting a moose is important...bring that 300.

Yup. I have a buddy who badly want to hunt moose with a bow, he’s gotten 1 in the last 7 years while I’ve gotten one (sometimes 2 if I winter hunt) every one of those years. I’d rather get one and have a full freezer than be a purist and be successful like 14% of the time.

Lgraham

FNG
I’d leave the 6.5 and Bow at home and take your .300 Mag if bringing home a moose is your number one priority. Additionally I’d ditch the ELDX bullets. If you bring the 6.5, choose an Accubond, Nosler partition or Barnes.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I’d just bring the rifle. I love bowhunting, but at the end of the day, I don’t think about what weapon I used when I look at an animal on the wall. I look at it and remember the overall experience. At least for me, the animals I’ve taken with a bow don’t mean any more to me than the ones I’ve taken with a gun. All are special.

mooster

WKR
Perhaps negotiate w/your hunting partner to share a rifle as a plan B approach. That's my plan for this year. I carried my bow last year on same premise. My son took a moose, I didn't, but then again, we only saw one legal moose (4 brow/50" unit).

you know it is possible to stalk up to with in 50 yards of a bull with a rifle. Just because you have a rifle doesnt mean you "have" to shoot it at 300 yards. It might be tempting to make it go bang at 200 yards but if you really want to sneak up and get closer to it you always can. No rules say you have to shoot a rifle over 100 yards.

OP
N

Nontyp

FNG
If I have to resort to the rifle I would still try to get as close as possible. A shot no further than 150 yds with the 6.5. I’m not a long range hunter I like getting in as close as possible. I’ve shot 8 elk from 10yd out to 70 with my bow.
We plan on a 10 day hunt and I would probably hunt the first 7 days with my bow in hand. You never know if you have a moose on the other side of an opening or pond that you can’t sneak across. I’m a run and gun type of guy and I usually cover 6-15 miles a day when elk hunting and my caribou was 4 miles from camp this yr. I think my biggest struggle will be staying within a mile or 1 1/2 mile of camp. I always want to see what is over the next hill.
Does anyone bring a pack raft on their moose hunt. Would I be better off with a pack raft vs my rifle for my use of weight.

Like twincedar said I can use my buddies rifle if needed