Broadheads for Moose

Trial153

WKR
Last one I killed was with a Soild. I would go with Ironwill, Soild, Day six Evo, Kudu point, Helix ect ect

I've killed 5, all with fixed blades. The first 3 were with a 4-blade 1-3/8" wide main blade Zwickey Delta on an aluminum shaft and the last 2 with Rocky Mt Titanium 100 gr 3-blade 1-1/8" replaceable blade heads. No problem with penetration or killing any of them, from WY to BC to Alaska. Heaviest arrows were about 515 gr and lightest was 385 gr (broadside pass-thru).

Wapiti1

WKR
Slick trick, exodus, iron will, solid, VPA, Bishop, Valkyrie, G5 Montec, Steel Force , Magnus, Woodsman original or Elite, Cutthroat, Bone.....take your pick. It's a good time to be a bowhunter.

Any of these is tough enough, you just have to find one that shoots well.

Jeremy

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a shiras in CO last year with a Magnus Black Hornet twice. First shot at 20 yards he was slightly quartered away. Broadhead hit a rib square in front of the heart and broke the ferrule and the blades slid straight up the rib cage under his shoulder blade. Bull ran 20 yards and stopped. Second arrow hit the should blade square on and that braodhead broke in the exact same spot offering no penetration. We had to track and be patient on this bull for 3 days. Finally on day four I put a Muzzy through the lungs and he went 20 yards and fell over dead. The Magnus ferrules are not solid on both sides of the blade. I love them for deer but would never shoot one again at bigger game. IMO after 4 days of agony shoot a 100% solid ferrule broadhead like a Cutthroat. Picture of the broadhead in the shoulder broken off at the end of the blades.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 150

Stalker69

WKR
I shot a shiras in CO last year with a Magnus Black Hornet twice. First shot at 20 yards he was slightly quartered away. Broadhead hit a rib square in front of the heart and broke the ferrule and the blades slid straight up the rib cage under his shoulder blade. Bull ran 20 yards and stopped. Second arrow hit the should blade square on and that braodhead broke in the exact same spot offering no penetration. We had to track and be patient on this bull for 3 days. Finally on day four I put a Muzzy through the lungs and he went 20 yards and fell over dead. The Magnus ferrules are not solid on both sides of the blade. I love them for deer but would never shoot one again at bigger game. IMO after 4 days of agony shoot a 100% solid ferrule broadhead like a Cutthroat. Picture of the broadhead in the shoulder broken off at the end of the blades.

Hey you know they will send you replacement heads under warranty, if your going to keep using them. Lol. Glad you finally got it, many animals are not recovered when such things happen, would suck to have to go through that.

One of only two NA species I prefer using a fixed blade on, though I have killed one with a mechanical. I'd find a high quality fixed blade that you can shoot accurate.

My go-to Moose BH is a 125gr QAD Exodus - have taken a lot of different species with that broadhead - flys very well, has a 1 1/4 cut, penetrates very deep and is very rugged. Have tremendous confidence in it, and the Moose was very impressed too.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
Hey you know they will send you replacement heads under warranty, if your going to keep using them. Lol. Glad you finally got it, many animals are not recovered when such things happen, would suck to have to go through that.
Yeah I sent the entire story to the guys at Magnus. They sent me an entire new 3 pack of broadheads. I really like their heads for smaller game and the customer service is great. Just my 2 cents that they are not built for moose size bones!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just my 2 cents that they are not built for moose size bones!

Roosie had the same issue on an elk with a different Magnus head. Obviously we want to avoid heavy bone, but when we hit it it would be nice to have a BH that stays together.

I've been shooting the 125gr Exodus swept blade heads and I've seen them survive some of the impressive torture test videos. But I pulled an arrow out of the target the other day and it came out without one of the blades. I thought it just fell out somehow, but upon inspection the tip part broke that holds the blade in. Have no idea how that happened, but QAD is sending me a new head.100_4272.JPG

Last edited:

Downwind

FNG
I’ve taken one with a QAD Exodus and another with a Kudupoint. Both were complete passthroughs. Any good quality fixed blade will work really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLowry

FNG
Can't go wrong with a VPA solid. Available in any weight you want it. I've been shooting them for at least 15 years and have never had one fail.

For a disposable one time use, Exodus. I prefer swept.

I hope the iron will solids I have coming live up to the expectation.