Browning X-celarator iii

REB

FNG
I inherited this bow, looks almost new in box. If I put new sights and arrow rest on it could I use it for elk hunting? What would the lethal range of the bow be, I was think 30 yards? I’m new to archery and trying to figure out if I could use this to get started.

Thanks

jmez

WKR
Depends on the draw weight for hunting but I'd guess it is 55-70lbs. Biggest issue is going to be draw length, won't be much, if any adjustment in that bow and it may not fit you. It is also going to have tear drop cables, if you ever need to replace them you won't find any. If you have to replace much of anything on it you likely won't find parts.

Get your draw length checked somewhere and see if the bow will even fit you. Starting out and learning with a bow that has an incorrect draw length won't do you any favors. You can buy a lot better bow 20 years newer for a couple hundred bucks if you want to get started.

Sorry this picture doesn't do it justice. Has 3 little dings in the wood, no big deal at all. When I received it the limbs were covered with old school Treebark camo duct tape which was actually a blessing cause it kept the limbs pristine underneath. A bit of WD-40 and they look like they just rolled off the line in Morgan. I picked up a set of limbsavers at Wally World in the close out isle for $3.75, My other local big box sports retailer was out of string dampeners, but they had buzz bait skirts so I used them and grabbed a decent Tru-glo sight for $20. An old Hoyt stabilizer and a Center-rest thats been in my box for 10 years sitting unused, applied some string wax and I'm in business!
XCelleratorIII.jpg

OP
REB

REB

FNG
Thanks for the info, I will get my draw length and see if it fits and try and spruce it up if its going to work.

OR Archer

WKR
You'd be wise to put a new string on it. Those old tear drop strings don't hold up well and will weaken over time and just break. And if that happens that bow will be toast more than likely.

TripleJ

WKR
Talk about a blast from the past! I had one of those back in my late teens. I loved the way it shot. The limbs broke at full draw on me one day when I was practicing. I got a replacement one on warranty and those limbs broke at full draw about a month later. Decided to go with a different bow after that.