Budget spotter

As much as I would love a swaro or zeiss I just can’t afford to get one.. I seem to find that most of the hunting crowd gravitates to expensive high end options and understandably so. However, i imagine somebody has suggestions for a decent spotter in the $400-$600 range... weight is definitely a consideration because in Arizona it’s hot and packing around water is necessary. Thanks

CatfishKev

Lil-Rokslider
Where in AZ are you? You can get a good deal on a used spotter with that budget. Viper hd works just fine. I had the 65mm until I upgraded to the kowa and it was sufficient. I assume You are already using a tripod with 15s?

Ditto on great binoculars on a tripod. "almost" eliminates the need for a spotting scope unless you're just trophy hunting and trying to score an animal 3 miles away.

The first few years I used an old Bushnell Spacemaster with a fixed 20x eyepiece. The quality was surprisingly good, and I could tell a legal bull from a spike up to 3 miles away. But only with good light.

These days I carry a Nikon ED50 and love it.

OP
M
I currently run vortex diamondback 10x50s on a tripod. Tripod changed the game for me. Southern Arizona Coues can be challenging to spot but once they are spotted unless they are pretty large it can be difficult to determine gender at some distances and with tall grass or thick vegetation. I have moved in multiple times only to determine it was a doe. To alleviate the unnecessary physical exertion I thought maybe a spotter would help. I appreciate the suggestions and will look into those

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
I recently upgraded my spotter, and now have a Vanguard Endeavor HD 65A that I'll likely soon be posting to the classifieds here. Let me know if you're interested, I should be able to give you a pretty good deal on it.

CatfishKev

Lil-Rokslider
IMO I would upgrade your binos and put off the spotter upgrade for now. You can upgrade your binos to viper 15s used for $400 and put $200 to something else, or get a used pair of kaibabs. The 18s in combo with your diamondbacks would be a good combo. I upgraded my 15s to meopta but still have my viper 15s, they have served me well. If you find your way down to sierra vista area I would be glad to take you out and let you do side by side comparison.

Athlon ares is a really good suggestion. I think that one is similar to the Cabela's krotos I had. If looking for a lightweight budget option it is hard to beat the hawke 50mm one. Make sure to get the ED version.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

lawbu

FNG
I'd put that money into a good tripod for your binos. As others have said, it makes all the difference in the world.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
From my AZ hunting experience (although limited) I had spent the majority of my glassing time behind 15x binoculars on tripod, only pulling out the spotter to take a glimpse or two at coues deer.

What binoculars do you have currently?

I have a Leupold Compact Gold Ring 15-30x50mm spotting scope and I really like it. It is small and has very nice optics quality. This is Leupolds Made in USA spotting scope,

JohnnyB

WKR
Another Vanguard Endeavor 65A user here. Bought it due to many great reviews by users on this sight. I want a several thousand dollar spotting scope but am currently happy with the Vanguard. I think they run around 350-375 new.

I will say that I use my binos way more and I am very happy that I upgraded to a really nice 10x42.