Budget Spotting Scope and Tripod

eric1115

WKR
That ED50 is a gem if you can find one. You may need to stretch the budget to make that happen (especially with tripod).

This is a pretty decent looking package (though I'll also say I've not used either the scope or tripod).

I'd also consider a Minox MD50 if you can find one. Not much money, good reputation.

Regardless, get yourself a way to put your binos on the tripod. Field Optics Research is my favorite bang for the buck.

T28w

WKR
I’m running this older Vortex model - Talon 10x32. Here are the specs:

Having never really used a spotting scope before, is it likely not going to give me much advantage in my price range? For example, if I went with one of those refurb Vortex Diamondback spotters for $250 on a cheap tripod, is that a good improvement over just my 10x32 binos on a tripod?
I’m not a well versed in good glass to be honest. I have a pair of maven c1 10x42. They replaced cheaper Nikons and were a big improvement. The maven’s were $300. I paid less then that for the vanguard spotter and imo was not useful. Thus I sold it. I would listen to others who are more knowledgeable than I am on this subject.
I can only rec a couple things. I would first invest in as good as a bino as I wanted before I would even consider a spotter. And second if you don’t know the area you are hunting a spotter may be of no use anyway.

Sorry to be no more help just wanted to save you from a cheap spotter that you have to turn around and get rid of.

BirdPoop

FNG
I feel that you should go with a better scope first instead of going with a mediocre scope and a mediocre tripod. Resale value on those mediocre items would be next to nothing. You can always start out with bean bags if you don't want to spend more as they will be sturdier than a cheap tripod. I agree with Dd61999 on Nikon ED Fieldscopes (50mm+ or even older ED model) for near alpha scope performance. I think they can be had for around your budget.

For my first spotter I bought both the Vanguard Endeavor HD 82A and 65A. I ended up selling the 65A because the image in the 82A was much better.

eric1115

WKR
So I've been thinking about this and I think I gave you some potentially not great advice if you have a hard stop at $300 all in.

If I were in your shoes in that case I would get a good tripod and tripod adapter for the binoculars. Good binos on a good tripod via a good adapter will be much better and more effective glassing (especially for elk) than fighting a cheap spotter on a cheap tripod. I would suggest that you will see 3x more detail in your binos on a tripod than you do handholding them. Certainly enough to see elk a couple miles away, likely further.

You will spend at least $100-150 on a tripod worth using at all, plus $50 on a bino mount. These are for me non-negotiable must haves before considering adding a spotting scope. Your Talon binos likely out-resolve most (if not all) $100-150 spotting scope options.

Since that money doesn't get you glass that improves your situation, put it back into the tripod. Add one piece of quality gear (a $250 tripod plus a bino adapter) that moves the needle substantially. A good tripod for the binos will get you the same or better glassing capability as a cheap spotter and cheap tripod, with much less weight. You'll quickly tire of and want to upgrade the cheap stuff, but a good tripod will be a pleasure to use for years to come.

OP
T

TheNorris

FNG
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up moving my budget up some and picked up a used 11-33x50 Vortex Razor. I think it will work well as a first spotter for me with the light weight and smaller size. Should be here this week, can’t wait to try it out.

I am planning to run it on top of my Primos Trigger Shooting tripod. I have the version that allows you to remove the shooting “V” and replace with a scope or binos. Probably not the best option but since I’m taking the sticks with me anyways it will save a few pounds to use it for dual purposes.