Bugles - Flathead Valley MT

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone get into anything this weekend...I was out all weekend and the weather was a little western at times. Not much for bugles was able to see 10 cows but no bull bugling with them :(

MT_Nate

FNG
Was in the Swan hunting yesterday afternoon/evening. Checked my cams and had small groups of 2-3 cows visiting the past 3 afternoons/evenings...no bulls. Surprising this late in the game.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted up Thompson River for the first time this year. Bulls wouldn’t bugle unless bugle/cow called at. Never heard one bugle unprompted once and no evening bugles either. Had some close encounters, but no shots fired. It seems like they were most receptive when I would let out lost calf mews, which was a new tactic I had never tried. Things definitely were slow developing up there as I found the end of September and October to be the most vocal time. Anyone else hunt up there have similar experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matthewmt

WKR
Haven't hunted the thompson area much at all. Looking forward to turning in the bow for the boom stick. With the weather turning as of now I'm curious what the opener will bring.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the thompson river area as well...mostly had to bugle or cow call as well to get one to respond. A couple mornings had one go off on his own but only once or twice. I would say i am excited to get the boom stick out but have no idea where to go especially after opening the elk seem to scatter so bad and seems like there is so few elk to begun with hard to find. I wont shoot deer out there as i have access to grain fed deer that taste way better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
How did everyone fair opening weekend anyone get something on the ground? I wasnt able to make it out have been fighting a damn sinus infection but my buddy I usually hunt with sent me a pic and there were over 20 campers at bend this year. He said it looked like a flee market. Got the gun all sighted in though on sunday was good to get that done and make sure we were still dialed in.

matthewmt

WKR
How you guys doing out there? Was out Friday, didn't seem like much rut activity but did here some shots throughout the day. Gonna have another cold snap this coming weekend it looks like.

bobr1

WKR
Was in the Swan hunting yesterday afternoon/evening. Checked my cams and had small groups of 2-3 cows visiting the past 3 afternoons/evenings...no bulls. Surprising this late in the game.
I went out a few days ago in the swan. I drew a B tag for deer, didn't hear anything but saw sign in the snow of a half dozen elk or so that had moved through the area within a day or so. Also found a nice griz print a bit bigger than a football lol.

Attachments

• 20201029_104504.jpg
    20201029_104504.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 62
OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Havnt even been out yet for rifle...was gona try to get out opening but wasnt able to. Pretty sure the bulls are breaking off now though from the cows and heading for their recovery areas. Am also hoping that this coming cold snap helps with getting in on something but will see how that goes. Would really like some fresh snow and try to cut some tracks.

matthewmt

WKR
Havnt even been out yet for rifle...was gona try to get out opening but wasnt able to. Pretty sure the bulls are breaking off now though from the cows and heading for their recovery areas. Am also hoping that this coming cold snap helps with getting in on something but will see how that goes. Would really like some fresh snow and try to cut some tracks.
Sounds like you'll get your snow along with some single digits and more weather into next week..
Co worker got into a handful ( 9 or so) of cow elk but no bulls. I think they are breaking off for sure.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Still havnt had a chance to get out with the boom stick...not sure how much snow is actually sticking out there since these last few storms. Anyone getting out and getting into anything.

bsnedeker

WKR
Still havnt had a chance to get out with the boom stick...not sure how much snow is actually sticking out there since these last few storms. Anyone getting out and getting into anything.

I haven't gone out around here other than doing some road hunting with my dad opening week who ended up accidentally shooting a spike one day when I was working...so that wasn't good! Reported himself and the elk cops were pretty cool about it but he is done hunting for the year and the VA got some fresh elk meat.

I've been having fun trying to call a white tail into my back pasture trying to get them into bow range in 170...no luck so far but I've had a couple close calls!

Good luck to everyone!

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
a152716a1f47ea21b45cdc3afc1d3880.jpg

My dog and I had some luck west of Kalispell last weekend. Snowed a foot over night and came back with snow shoes and a sled to get the rest of him out. Great memory!

Bumping last years Flathead thread, my local honey hole has a lot of predators and the bulls are generally very very quiet, but I was out yesterday for the opener and got a response to a bugle right at sunrise. The bull bulged and chuckled all the way in to about 30 yards behind some thick cover. Couldn’t get him to round the corner in front of my 15 year old nephew on his first archery elk hunt but it was a really really exciting morning.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Opening weekend was a bugle fest, but has been crickets or Doug Fluties ever since.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
I wasnt able to get out opening this year but my buddy was able to and heard a few bugles was definitely not a bugle fest though :) Had soccer games the next weekend and was able to get out late saturday evening into sunday for a hunt...am acutally quite depressed as lame as it sounds i know I am thrilled that I was able to get it done but...I love bow season and was only able to get out the one time.
My buddy got out this last weekend solo as I was over in sandpoint for soccer tourney and he chased one around that had cows and a sat with him but never was able to get eyes on the herd bull. I do know that most of our usual spots are proving to be quiet again compared to years past.

Last edited: