Buh Bye OnX .... Hello GAIA!

cnelk

WKR
Ohhh Man.

Just for sh!ts and giggles, I purchased Gaia to give it a try (for a lot less $$$ than OnX!)

So far it blows OnX outta the water.

I can scroll thru ALL 50 States, see where public land is at, land ownership, send waypoints to friends, on and on!

I typically hunt multiple states each year and being able to have the same APP features throughout each state is so nice!

No more BETA 3D updates in September like OnX did - that was a deal breaker.

Brendan

WKR
Good deal. I've been using it since 2015 here.

Some hints that may or may not be beneficial: If you're on iOS you can access the map through CarPlay which is nice if you're running forest service roads / etc. Google Earth Imagery and custom data sources are also possible, but need to add those yourself.

The only downside is there are some small features of Gaia you get on iOS that you don't get on the Android version, but by no means a dealbreaker.

Ace531

FNG
I started with Gaia last year. Can't say anything negative about it so far. There are certainly a lot of layers and features to navigate through but it's definitely worth the money 💰

Jethro

WKR
Welcome to the club, Cnelk. I've had Gaia for about a year. Does everything I need, have had no problems. I like it. I have Onx for NM and didn't have the problems you experienced. But here in PA, I use Gaia.

SDHNTR

WKR
Can you share multiple pins at once with GAIA? The inability to do that on OnX is so frustrating.

bsnedeker

WKR
I also use both...Gaia's system of downloading offline maps is INFINETELY better than OnX and the sheer number of layers available is incredible.

OnX has more detail in their satellite imagery when offline so I tend to use it when I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from A to B when I'm on the ground. The tradeoff is that the Gaia offline downloads are a small fraction of the storage space required for Onx downloaded maps.

2ski

WKR
Good deal. I've been using it since 2015 here.

Some hints that may or may not be beneficial: If you're on iOS you can access the map through CarPlay which is nice if you're running forest service roads / etc. Google Earth Imagery and custom data sources are also possible, but need to add those yourself.

The only downside is there are some small features of Gaia you get on iOS that you don't get on the Android version, but by no means a dealbreaker.
So are you able to use it through android auto on you car? With new cars pretty much all having android and Apple play, this is big if you could use this offline through your car.

Brendan

WKR
So are you able to use it through android auto on you car?

Just iOS / CarPlay unfortunately. You always could get a used iphone (or iPad) and download maps or connect via hotspot. I have a work phone that's an iPhone for when I want it displayed through carplay.

With that said, my phone is in a vent mount that's very easily visible too.

Which app thats called Gaia are we talking here?

gaigps.com

Does Gaia have a compass pointer when navigating to a dest ?
It points the direction but it doesn’t do that thing that some other maps do where the map “moves” based on the direction you point the phone.

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
It points the direction but it doesn’t do that thing that some other maps do where the map “moves” based on the direction you point the phone.

The map moves with you, if you tap the icon in the top-center until the green “hourglass” looking thingy shows up.
895E7638-FD4A-41A9-8C05-7D55682D1AA8.jpeg

Grumman

WKR
Just purchased it to try. It’s a 10% discount if you purchase a subscription directly on their website as opposed to through the App Store. Seems very good for $35.99/yr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk